Finally finished!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Finally finished!
Apprentice
Member # 8177
Profile #0
Hey, new user here.

I've been playing the Spiderweb demos for years now, but finally forked over the money to buy Avernum 4.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of it. Perhaps I never was properly exposed to the A1-A3 game mechanics, but I certainly had no qualms with the seamless environment and the new graphics. In fact, it was these factors that pushed me to finally buying the game. Being part of a generation that never experienced the old-school roleplaying games of the yesteryears, this says a lot.

I just want to congratulate Jeff for making an excellent game with the depth and breadth to make it a worthy purchase and a great source of leisure time. It's just something that you don't find in other games. I have a feeling a lot of older gamers play these games for nostalgia, but Avernum 4 has won me over regardless.

Looking forward to Avernum 5. :)

--------------------
When this girl at the art museum asked me whom I liked better, Monet or Manet, I said, "I like mayonnaise."
She just stared at me, so I said it again, louder. Then she left. I guess she went to try to find some mayonnaise for me.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #1
You might really enjoy the most recently release Geneforge 4 too then. Many here consider it a significantly better game than Avernum IV in numerous respects, and its engine is similar, though the map is broken into areas. I never played GF 1-3 because I wasn't much interested in mixing more Sci-Fi into my fantasy role-play gaming, but GF4 feels a lot like a fantasy game and is a fine game overall in many respects.

Also, you may want to watch for the revamped, reissued version of Nethergate to come out later this year. This may well be the best game Jeff ever made, and with a remade engine or interface, it has the potential to be, uh, most fantastic.

-S-

IMAGE(http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/synergy67/75logo.gif)

[ Saturday, February 24, 2007 17:04: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #2
If you played through the first three games, you would have realized that A4 could have been better.
Try beating all of the Avernum games, I have.
And this game was to tie up loose ends (Rentar beaing dead, etc.).
It was still good, though I felt squashed in the story line.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
Apprentice
Member # 8177
Profile #3
Yeah, I played the Geneforge 4 demo all the way through, and I love the new graphical style and effects. However, I'm still not completely won over enough to buy it for some reason. Avernum 4 hooked me on storyline alone. The mystery element was very alluring to me. By the time my character had killed the vahnatai and marked, I knew I had to buy the game and figure out what the heck was behind all the weird happenings and catastrophes. I read a lot about how you guys guessed from the very beginning that Rentar-Ihrno was behind it, but I was in the dark until right after completing Mertis. I only wish the mystery had continued from that point.

Geneforge 4, however, doesn't give the same feeling mystery; the hook is to fight for your cause, and alter the result of the war. Which is good... :/ Perhaps I'm too burnt out after A4 that I don't want to begin another 3 month quest. :) I'll prolly end up buying it in a while though.

--------------------
When this girl at the art museum asked me whom I liked better, Monet or Manet, I said, "I like mayonnaise."
She just stared at me, so I said it again, louder. Then she left. I guess she went to try to find some mayonnaise for me.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #4
If you had played through the first 3 A games, you would have known the plot even before it was talked about A4 a new game.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
Geneforge 1 is more about the plot than game mechanics. The next two games were developing the game and the story became less important.

Avernum always has been about the mood of being in a strange world. Avernum 2 is considered to have the best plot and a decent game engine.

Nethergate is currently being revamped. The plot is interesting because you see it unfold from two different sides. Same world, but with interacting missions. You can try the demo to see what that will be like.