Piercing Crystals?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Piercing Crystals?
Apprentice
Member # 7529
Profile #0
I've found about half a dozen shimmering barriers, and only two piercing crystals so far in the game. (I'm not that far along.) Where can I find more crystals, or is there a way to get through the walls without them?

thanks!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
If you're near Formello, which I'm guessing you are, you need to complete a quest for the mayor.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Apprentice
Member # 7529
Profile #2
Actually, I'm in the caves near Cotra...just found two more of the barriers, and no piercing crystals to be had. :(
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #3
Cotra... I don't remember any barriers in that area, but in any case, I suggest you go to the Tower Colony. It's the only place you can learn Dispel Barrier, and Piercing Crystal are few and far between.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
I'm operating off of heresay here, but I believe that caches are a good source of piercing crystals, if you have the nature lore to find them.

It's also not a bad strategy to save before you use a piercing crystal and see what's on the other side. If it's nothing really important, reload to before you used the crystal and come back to the barrier after you know the dispel barrier spell.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

heresay
The word on the streets of the secret cult compound, so to speak? The kind of word that makes holy water catch fire and lightning flash in the sky?

—Alorael, who brings you this Thuryl moment courtesy of typos.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
Ouch! Your piercing wit (and my mistake) has filled me with shame.

But Dikiyoba found the error amusing enough to stay unedited.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
There are only a few barriers in the early part of the game that need dispel barrier: Fort Dranlon prison and in the Honeycomb. There should be enough piercing crystals available to be found or bought to deal with all the others before the Tower Colony. There is one in a cache along the lizard shore west of the Nephil Lands.

Repeated use of piercing crystals is supposed to bring down the stronger barriers, but I never tried it and you should always save the game before trying.
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #8
Doing a quick search of my FAQ (ctrl+F and "piercing"), and there are lots of piercing crystals in Grindstone (~5), one in a swampy shore cache, one from Giscard, SE of Formello, some in the eastern gallery, Mertis, the honeycomb, and the southeastern road. Beyond that you should get the spell and will no longer need any crystals.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00