Hidden Rooms?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hidden Rooms?
Apprentice
Member # 7498
Profile #0
While doing a 'long' move from Spire to the west, I ran into a hidden room which holds the enchanted pool... this is a huge boon out in the Abyss.

So I was wondering if anyone else has come across any other hidden points?
I'm wondering if I missed any along the way to the Abyss!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
Personally I found the shrine to be pretty worthless by that point. Maybe it was just the way I played, by then I was more than capable of sustaining myself.

As for other special hidden rooms...you know, now that I come to think of it, I don't remember any. I suppose if someone wanted to, they could go through the game with high luck and see if any others pop up.

Btw, do people know of any other luck related special encounters in A4?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
I think the Abyss pool is the only hidden one and I went through most of the game around Luck 7. I don't think there are any others and I looked at the maps a lot during the game.
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #3
To my understanding, the Luck skill does almost nothing in A4.

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #4
You uderstand very little.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #5
There's one encounter in the Great Cave that uses luck. It's a wishing well near bandit territory which grants an extra level of parry for every party member. In order to get it, however, you have to throw in fifty coins repeatedly. Luck reduces the number you have to throw in. That said, I had very low luck, and threw in somewhere around 2000 coins before I got the blessing.

It was still cheaper than purchasing it at a trainer, though. :)

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:

You uderstand very little.
Then cure my ignorance and explain, please! :)
What does the Luck skill do. Not the vague ingame description, what does it do exactly.

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #7
It helps out in combat giving you increased resistances to everything, gives you higher chances of monsters dropping better items, and a few other random things here and there. So it's pretty good.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
In addition to what *i mentioned, Luck affects EVERY roll to-hit or to-dodge by 2% -- melee, missiles and magic alike.

I'm not clear if it actually increases your resistances, or just displays that on the status screen. The status screen resistance info is inaccurate anyway (since the resistances are cumulative by multiplication, not addition) and when I tested, I was unable to find any damage taken difference between the same character with 0 and 30 luck. (Maybe that was just armor and not elemental resistances... I did this testing a year ago.)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #9
Well, ok, becouse of this discussion I did some tests with luck around Fort Monastary, I found one noticeble thing luck did, 10 luck in every member made my characters move before the goblins do, 0 luck made goblins move before my party. (no investment in DEX. DEX also affects this)

But Wouldn't it be beter to invest a few points in dex? Dex unlocks parry anyway.

I noticed NO difference in monster drops, in fact, I think monster drops are pre-set, just like items in chests, and on the ground, etc are pre-set.

I vaguely remember an earlier discussion about Luck, about how the character screen was lying about the resistances.

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Monster drops aren't entirely random like in Exile, but you can get any of a variety of items from a list or, sometimes, none at all. Luck gives you more stuff and better stuff within the bounds of what your enemies can drop.

—Alorael, who had the most luck (pun) seeing the difference while killing Ruby Skeletons and collecting rubies.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #11
There's Ruby Skeletons in Avernum 4? I never bumped into one.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #12
Ok, one last question, (sorry for highjacking this thread) How does luck operates in a party when effecting monster drops, or other things such as this wishing well?
Like Lore? Like Tool-Use? Or does the character with the highest luck needs to do the final blow?

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
Each creature has a list of things it can drop (though many have an empty list or just one item). For each item on the list, there is a default percentage chance the creature will drop that item when it dies. There is a seperate roll made for each item, so one enemy could always (in theory) drop everything. As far as I can tell, luck affects each of these rolls. I haven't tested it, but an increase of 1% per point of luck (possibly with the 10- and 20-caps we know and love) would make sense, given how drastically luck changes the possibility of a drop, and that this effect is more noticeable with drops that rarely happen without luck.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
No, I think I fabricated the memory of ruby skeletons. Am I totally wrong in remembering some undead thing that drops gems? Mertis Spiral, maybe?

—Alorael, who somehow managed to get a certain battle with skeletons on a platform inserted into A4. Maybe it was wishful thinking since there are no A4 platforms.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Slarty:

<snip>
That doesn't answer my question.

Anyway, the creatures around Monastery drop the exact same thing every single time, with our without luck.

Maybe the creatures further away drop more different stuff, But that would take a lot of time testing.

Frankly, unless someone with inside information (Jeff) says otherwise, I think you must be confused with other versions of Avernum (maybe Exile) (I only played A4) The only effect I see from luck so far is my part being able to move a turn before monster turns.

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #16
quote:
Anyway, the creatures around Monastery drop the exact same thing every single time, with our without luck.
Read the following:

quote:
Each creature has a list of things it can drop (though many have an empty list or just one item). For each item on the list, there is a default percentage chance the creature will drop that item when it dies. There is a seperate roll made for each item, so one enemy could always (in theory) drop everything.
This would imply the creatures around Fort Monastery have a 100% drop chance on all of their items. This does not mean there are creatures further out that have different percentages. In fact, I'm pretty sure there are.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #17
Actually all you need to do is reach the Nephil Lands to see that monsters don't always drop treasure. Having luck go from 1 to about 5 greatly increases the drop treasure and gives you better items.

For more on luck read: luck-1 and luck-2
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #18
Alright, then I'll test it with the Nephil!

Still would like someone to answer my question about how to spread Luck over the party...

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #19
I'm not sure anyone has tested that. However, since some of luck's effects are only individual, and it's cheap, you may as well spread some around.

My guess would be that it's an individual check, but I'm not sure, as in Geneforge series (same engine) increasing PC luck seems to affect creation-kill drops.

You could test it yourself. Give one PC maxxed out luck, have the other one kill things, and see how often they drop compared to PCs with no luck at all.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #20
So I run some tests in nephil lands. I used Hawk Kings Monastary-cook-A4-Editor to get myself the XP of a dragon. I invested in mage skills in all party members and saved enough skill-points for 10 ranks in luck, i went to the nephil bridge and saved the game.

I killed the nephil on the bridge, the ones near the bridge, and went straight to the checkpoint, then I went to that nephil boss, and to the nephil shrine south of that boss, killing all hostile creatures on my way.

I run 10 times with 0 luck and 10 times with 10 luck in all party members. (didn't bother to test different distributions)

The results in totals. First nr 0 luck second nr 10 luck:
Leather Armor 69 66
Bronze Shortsword 76 66
Cavewood Bow 52 59
Silver necklaces 11 13
Dagger 01 00
Cloak 24 22
Fine Cloak 03 03
yew bow 09 08
Bronze Broadsword 07 06
Golden necklaces 00 01

I don't see anything pure random luck couldn't explain so far. Maybe 10 runs isn't enough? But if it isn't, why did Randomizer say:

quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Having luck go from 1 to about 5 greatly increases the drop treasure and gives you better items.

[ Monday, September 25, 2006 08:52: Message edited by: SevenMass ]

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #21
That seems backwards. Isn't luck supposed to help?

EDIT: Also, I think I remember a few of the Mertis undead dropping emeralds.

[ Sunday, September 24, 2006 09:13: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #22
It's hard to interpret the results with some ideas of the percentages involved. I did notice the number of necklaces (not neckless, which is just sort of gross :P ) did go up which are ammenities. Of course, more trials would be needed over a larger area to really get the effect.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #23
I based my results on using a party of 4 with 1-2 luck per member and singletons with 1 to 4 luck. I found that at higher luck I got more bows dropped and other items. The game seems to use total party luck.

I prefer to have a minimum of 1 luck since this seems to trigger getting certain results in the older games where you luck out and don't die.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #24
It's hard to interpret those results since you have mixed in a totally indeterminate number of creatures of various types. Also, a significant number of encounters are activated along your path -- perhaps Luck affects the number of Nephils that appear at some point? It just doesn't sound like a very controlled environment.

Anyway, it is a pretty well established fact that Luck *does* affect drop rates. How much is a good question, but if your data shows no change, I question the data's integrity.

--------------------

Pages