Hidden Rooms?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hidden Rooms?
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #25
Sorry about the "neckless" part, I used a spelling-checker on my post, and I didn't bother to double check everything the spelling-checker does.

The results are to be interpreted this way: There is nothing in this test that pure random luck couldn't account for.
For the question: "Does the luck skill effect drops?" the test result is inconclusive at best.

How can the effect of the luck skill be well established if the effects are so difficult to notice?

Wait, what was that? If the date doesn't fit the established the data must be wrong? What data supports the established? The anecdotal evidence Randomizer just came up with, playing a party of 4 with a total of 4 to 8 luck and an undefined number of singletons with 1 to 4 luck?

I know my data isn't the highest quality around, to put it lightly. But...

Ah, I didn't mean to sound rude! :D

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
I'm with SM here. I've never noticed any effect of Luck on drop rates, and frankly I regard the belief that it does have an effect as mostly superstition.

[ Monday, September 25, 2006 15:42: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #27
If I remember correctly, in Geneforge series luck has an effect on chances of getting gems, monster parts, and monster-specific items such as clawbug shield. If the effect on loot is similar in A4, you aren't going to see it until you fight many dozens of battles against monsters that have a chance of dropping rare items affected by Luck. (To give you an idea of rarety I am talking about, in Gf games you could play through entire game without getting some of these creature-specific items, and even with high luck you'd only get a couple throughout the game.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #28
But, despite similarities, this is not Geneforge. This is Avernum.

Now that you mention it, though, I sure got a lot of Graymold off those Rotgroths near Erika's Tower. (I know, they aren't actually Rotgroths. I just can't remember what they're called, and they are strikingly similar to Rotgroths.)

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #29
With more luck I tend to see more things like silver necklaces and what not dropped by monsters. It has an effect.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #30
Shamblers were the ones with the Rotgroth graphic.

In Exile, Luck did increase your drop rate. I believe it does in Geneforge too. In A4, it's inconclusive. However, it could apply to things like jewelry and whatnot.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #31
I would be somewhat skeptical that Luck works differently for different kinds of items. It just doesn't fit with the way the engine is put together, with everything possible scripted and as little hardcoding as possible.

I would love to see the results of a controlled test such as the following:
- Pick a creature with multiple drops (look in the scripts - basic nephils and goblins might qualify)
- Kill five of them (exact same creature, no variations whatsoever) 10 times each (the same five of them, save and reload) for three scenarios: All PCs with zero luck, three with zero and one (the killer) with 10, and all PCs with 10 luck.

I had no idea that Luck affected drops in Exile. That's interesting, actually, given the randomness of the Exile drops.

[ Tuesday, September 26, 2006 03:50: Message edited by: Slarty ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #32
If the effects of Luck are more noticeable for rare drops, the Vahnatai Myrmidons that assassinate Houghton might be good for testing purposes. They appear in a convenient group of 3 in an area with no other hostile monsters (so it's easy to keep track of who dropped what), and apparently they have a small chance to drop a Fine Waveblade.

--------------------
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

If the effects of Luck are more noticeable for rare drops, the Vahnatai Myrmidons that assassinate Houghton might be good for testing purposes. They appear in a convenient group of 3 in an area with no other hostile monsters (so it's easy to keep track of who dropped what), and apparently they have a small chance to drop a Fine Waveblade.
Actually, my parties that had the luck boots and higher luck tended to get waveblades from those very Myrmidons to compleat the quest involved with them. In some of my parties I ran through the game neglecting luck for other things, I didn't get anything at all from them.

Other things I noticed. My parties with higher luck scores got more undead dust from killing those powerful skeletons. Lots of jewelry, necklaces, gold rings, etc. More cash too. (As a side effect from selling all those junky little gold rings)

Luck eventually became a skill that I actually spend some points in to just like I do in the Geneforge games, simply because the small effects are noticeable over time. More money means more training, more spells, better weapons, and making life easier in general.

I never really thought about doing detailed tests, I had always assumed that AVIV uses the same luck engine as Geneforge. And you should ALWAYS pump up your luck in Geneforge. Insanely powerful but amazingly subtle skill.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #34
Without a controlled trial, I'm still not convinced.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #35
Thuryl is right, and that applies to both theories. Somebody do a nice controlled trial, huh?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #36
Well, I tried to do a test, but there was definitely something else going on.

I killed the three nephil guarding the bridge by Fort Monastery, and the four nephil and one nephil archer in the camp that the guards run to for my test. For the first three rounds, it was a party of four with no luck. For the next three rounds, it was a party of four and everyone had 1 luck. For the next round (it was going to be three rounds again, but I got tired), it was a party of four and everyone had 5 luck. I saved and reloaded right in front of the bridge every time.

For 6 of the 7 rounds, I got exactly the same thing: 20 coins, 2 leather armors, 2 cavewood bows, and a bronze shortsword. The three nephil guarding the bridge never dropped anything and the archer always dropped a bow and the shortsword. The one round that was different only had 15 coins and 3 cavewood bows, but I believe this was probably my mistake--the coins are easy to overlook and I killed the archer around items that were scattered on the ground. (The different one came from the second round.)

So luck had no affect during the test. Neither did walking to different zones and coming back. However, I never did go far enough away to get an autosave. So, basically, I'm left wondering when the drop rate is calculated for the creatures in a given area, because getting the same items (practically) every time is odd.

Dikiyoba.

[ Tuesday, September 26, 2006 20:00: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #37
Not unless Jeff programmed it that way. I suspect he did in a lot of the early encounters. I think the Myrmadon test would be a little more interesting to try as they have a high variability.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages