countering freezing?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: countering freezing?
Warrior
Member # 1467
Profile Homepage #0
recently i have found that my characters being frozen is really REALLY annoying - esp when my only priest/tank gets frozen and my mages are left to die.

is there a way i can counter being frozen?

--------------------
Brother Glorat

The world is merciless, why should i care?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Prismatic Shield allegedly helps prevent freezing, but I've never found it very effective. Divine Restoration cures freezing, but by the time you get it you won't be seeing much more ice. Getting frozen is just unpleasant.

The keys are avoiding freezing pylons and otherwise just toughing it out. The demon in the Tower of Magi is especially nasty with his ice, but he'll only freeze one character at a time so you can just keep that one protected and keep on dealing damage with the rest of your party.

—Alorael, who wonders how singletons deal with freezing. Judging by the demon, it's possible Jeff programmed enemies not to freeze single characters, but that seems like an uncharacteristic programmed gesture towards singletons.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7305
Profile #2
My solution is keeping a tank, and a semi-tank for backup use.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
To avoid or reduce freezing use cold resistance items like rings. I forget how high your resistance needs to be to have a good chance. For a singleton there are three solutions: improve cold resistance, summon cold resistance shades to protect you, and the always unpopular save and reload.
Apprentice
Member # 7261
Profile #4
I'll second the tank advice... I don't know if you can without it, but while using the blade charm (?) necklace he was even able to, uh, parry and riposte while frozen. o_O
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Vaecrius:

I'll second the tank advice... I don't know if you can without it, but while using the blade charm (?) necklace he was even able to, uh, parry and riposte while frozen. o_O
Yeah, I believe parry and Riposte work regardless of statuses that really should override them... Dazing comes to mind as well.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Riposting is, uh, the art of holding your sword at such an angle that opponents accidentally run into it while attacking you. Yeah, that's it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #7
Riposte is a quick thrust given after parrying/deflecting an opponent's lunge in fencing/sword fighting. And/or a retaliatory action, maneuver, or verbal retort in tongue fu fighting.

Hey, it's after 2am here. What'd you expect? ;)

--------------------
Aide: (tugging at General's pant leg from ground..) "Sir! Please get down!"
General: "What!?! They couldn't hit a Giant from that dist..."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Micro Phage:

Riposte is a quick thrust given after parrying/deflecting an opponent's lunge in fencing/sword fighting. And/or a retaliatory action, maneuver, or verbal retort in tongue fu fighting.

Hey, it's after 2am here. What'd you expect? ;)

I agree that that's the dictionary definition of riposting (I fenced for 5 years, after all; I do know what it is). However, since in Avernum 4 it's possible to riposte while frozen solid and incapable of movement, that can't possibly be what riposting actually is in Avernum 4. Hence my proposed alternative definition.

[ Saturday, July 15, 2006 22:46: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
As your opponent charges you with a battle cry, howl, growl, or other sound effect, your immobilized character musters the willpower to pry his mouth open and deliver a blistering and witty verbal riposte. It's so clever it hurts.

—Alorael, who also supposes that an incautious opponent might suffer an injury from a particularly jagged piece of frozen adventurer. Maybe in the frenzy of one-sided melee some enemies don't pay much attention.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I agree that that's the dictionary definition of riposting (I fenced for 5 years, after all; I do know what it is). However, since in Avernum 4 it's possible to riposte while frozen solid and incapable of movement, that can't possibly be what riposting actually is in Avernum 4. Hence my proposed alternative definition.
I got your uh, humor/alt def. My humor can be dry at best, muddy when tired. Hence the ;) ...

It was an attempt at a humorous riposte and I guess this is a muddy re-post ;) .

God what a terrible pun. I think at 3:40am it's time to sleep. Take care, Sir Good Knight.

ouch. I'm outta here!

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Killing is wrong*:

As your opponent charges you with a battle cry, howl, growl, or other sound effect, your immobilized character musters the willpower to pry his mouth open and deliver a blistering and witty verbal riposte. It's so clever it hurts.

—Alorael, who also supposes that an incautious opponent might suffer an injury from a particularly jagged piece of frozen adventurer. Maybe in the frenzy of one-sided melee some enemies don't pay much attention.

Heh! Alorael, I should have known you were still awake!

I need to sleep but couldn't resist saying hello!
'Nite Sir Knights. (OK, so I'm reading Eddings Elenium Trilogy on bathroom breaks. Busted...)

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1467
Profile Homepage #12
i still wanna know how i manage to do riposte an dparry with a giant spear. must be pri tough.

--------------------
Brother Glorat

Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by BrTarolg:

i still wanna know how i manage to do riposte an dparry with a giant spear. must be pri tough.
Not sure you can willfully in the A4 world. Riposte and parry generally apply to (1 hand) blade weapons whereas a giant spear would be a (both hands) pole weapon in A4. The riposte and parry are kind of automated when you are frozen it seems. Can you select what weapon you have active at the point you're at?

Honestly, I just like to fry bad guys with Divine Retribution when possible, but then I cheat like crazy when my (RPG) life is on the line... ;)

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 1273
Profile #14
Ending the battle and moving a bit seems to make thawing happen quicker, if you wanna try that.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #15
It's easy to parry with a spear, but more difficult to riposte (IRL). In-game, it's all the same. Makes it less complicated.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7261
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Riposting is, uh, the art of holding your sword at such an angle that opponents accidentally run into it while attacking you. Yeah, that's it.
That's actually a perfectly legitimate (and basic) defence in Italian rapier. :D Hmm... maybe the victim moves very slowly, but he freezes again just as the attacker commits to striking and doesn't have time to correct his position...

Normally, though, I tend to think of Averum's riposte mechanic not so much a classical beat-sword-hit-swordsman move so much as a medieval counter-cut where your swords glance off each other, the defender's sword glancing towards the attacker and the attacker's sword glancing away. It takes a lot more finesse than a whack-stab riposte, but you can do it in a single motion without telegraphing anything - roughly the effect you see with Avernum's riposte.

EDIT: English has a lot of prepositions with very subtle differences in meaning. o_O

[ Sunday, July 16, 2006 13:09: Message edited by: Vaecrius ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Micro Phage:

Honestly, I just like to fry bad guys with Divine Retribution
RETRIBUTION!!!!!!!

This does tend to solve problems, but I think it can melt ice on enemies. Not like it could ever matter, since half of the stuff that could put ice on your enemies is immune to charming... and I don't think there's any way for a PC to freeze anything.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #18
The closest the PC has to freeze is the daze/super daze spells. The next best is to stun them out of fighting. The best is to kill them before they attack so you don't have to think about it,

I only remember two golem encounters (Tomb of Kyrann and under Almaria) and off course those pylons that can freeze you. You just have to be careful.
Warrior
Member # 1467
Profile Homepage #19
ah i remember the days of avernum 2 when bind foe lvl 1 would web and permanently disable one character <like gharzad for example>

and then i screamed when i got bind foe level 3 and reverted back to lvl 1 because its just better :P

--------------------
Brother Glorat

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by BrTarolg:

ah i remember the days of avernum 2 when bind foe lvl 1 would web and permanently disable one character <like gharzad for example>

and then i screamed when i got bind foe level 3 and reverted back to lvl 1 because its just better :P

Pardon me, but this seems rather counterproductive. It'd take something like 4-6 hits to put Garzahd out of commission, hits which could be better spent using level 3 to paralyze 4-6 of his henchmen so that they can't distract you from your main goal.

Bind Foe level 3 FTW, in other words...

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 1467
Profile Homepage #21
jees..

the point is - ANYONE can be hit by bind foe lvl 1. anything in the entire game.

however, there are ALOT of creatures which are resistant to paralysis or sleep.

actually, i was quite weak at the time - so i had becca <damn supercharacter> whack on gharzad whilst i spammed bind foe using my other 3 characters on everything else <i also summoned a couple rakshasha and hakaai>

basically - if you are fighting a so called "boss" - like athron - then all you need to do is cast bind foe lvl 1 and shes dead
you cant use bind for lvl 2-3 to kill her.

--------------------
Brother Glorat

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #22
I prefer actual skill when it comes to combat, actually... spell spamming takes a lot of the fun out of the game. And if you can't defeat a boss without spamming a cheap trick, then you probably shouldn't be there yet.

That said, it was immensely fun to spam Divine RETRIBUTION!!! in A4. It was one of the things that got me through the endgame...

EDIT: For clarification, the only thing that made that fun was screaming it at the monitor full of vahnatai and pylons.

[ Tuesday, July 18, 2006 07:37: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by fractalnavel:

minor bug / exploit: the old keyboard shortcut "c" brings up a "cast spell" dialog from which any mage or priest spell that you have access to may be cast, regardless of encumbrances. one can "c"ast at time where one cannot otherwise use "m"age spells (or click on the button).

didn't see this mentioned anywhere - did i miss it ?

At the risk of spell spamming, wondered if this could be of use when you are frozen?

It's really handy to have a "hot key" to cast!

I doubt this is a bug or exploit. Maybe an easter egg of sorts. (hot key wise)

--------------------