Spell scam?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Spell scam?
Apprentice
Member # 7134
Profile #0
Sometimes when seeking to learn spells, the "trainer" seems want to charge me for ones I already know. That is, the option exists to pay them to "learn" (rather than just improve) a spell that the character already knows and has been using. At first I paid them (thinking I must be getting something for my money), but later I became skeptical. Anyone else run into this? I can come back with specific examples if that would be helpful.

Related comment.. it would be great to have a counter (like for the other stats) that indicates how much knowledge each character has wrt the different spells. (One could see the effect of and keep track of improvements).

--------------------
kjmiller
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by KJMiller:

Sometimes when seeking to learn spells, the "trainer" seems want to charge me for ones I already know. That is, the option exists to pay them to "learn" (rather than just improve) a spell that the character already knows and has been using. At first I paid them (thinking I must be getting something for my money), but later I became skeptical. Anyone else run into this? I can come back with specific examples if that would be helpful.
It's not so much the difference between learning and improving, its just that the trainers are able to improve the spell twice. That the first time is to learn it means nothing to them. The price is the same.

quote:
Originally written by KJMiller:

Related comment.. it would be great to have a counter (like for the other stats) that indicates how much knowledge each character has wrt the different spells. (One could see the effect of and keep track of improvements).
Check Spells/Traits, which I believe is accessed through the stats window for an individual character.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
There are certainn spells that don't really improve past the first level. Augmentation, shield and armor spells increase duration with level, but you usually go back to town before they wear off.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Make sure you're always buying your spells for the right character. Teaching your fighter how to hurl death rays around isn't very useful and can be quite expensive.

—Alorael, who can tell you exactly what the effects of each spell level you gain is. Check the manual for each spell. It will say something about the effect of Bonus in the formula. Bonus is the sum of Magery, Spellcraft, levels in the spell cast, and either Mage or Priest Spells.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
By the way, it's almost never worth spending money to get extra training in a spell you can already cast, since the effects of one or two extra points of bonus are so tiny.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Some of the cheap spells are worth it, but the later ones invariably aren't. Buying the first level of a spell can be worth your money, though, depending on how long you'd have to go without the spell otherwise and how useful the spell is.

—Alorael, who wouldn't survive without lots and lots of Minor Healings and a few Bolts of Fire. The more bonus the merrier!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7134
Profile #6
Thanks everyone! And yes, my oversight - I missed the "Spells/Stats" page... glad to know where it is now.

--------------------
kjmiller
Apprentice
Member # 7134
Profile #7
oops- still trying to get it right. That is "Spells/Traits". :)

--------------------
kjmiller
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #8
Next time use the edit button.

--------------------
Pass the sauerkraut and chips please.