Registration code question.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Registration code question.
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #0
Hi all,

So I registered A4, and I'm having great fun.

But there is this thing that I'm wondering about...
I needed to give a registration code when ordering A4, and I'm wondering: Is the "unlocking code" that is send through e-mail after you bought A4, linked to this registration code?

If so, what if I ever needed to re-install A4?

How does this work?

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #1
If you ever needed to reinstall A4, just email Jeff. He might ask for your previous unlocking code, so save the email, but he would be more than happy to give you another code.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #2
If I'd re-download A4 for say.. to replace v1.0 with v1.01 (or any other possible future update) Wouldn't I be re-installing it?

Anyway, such a system seems to be giving Jeff a lot of extra work. And even if it is not a lot, there must be a better way than that!

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #3
Yes, but Jeff's way is more secure than any utility that would give you a new registration code.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by SevenMass:

If I'd re-download A4 for say.. to replace v1.0 with v1.01 (or any other possible future update) Wouldn't I be re-installing it?

Anyway, such a system seems to be giving Jeff a lot of extra work. And even if it is not a lot, there must be a better way than that!

When you register, you'll recieve instructions on how to back up your registration, so you will not have to e-mail Jeff every time you reinstall the game.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

When you register, you'll recieve instructions on how to back up your registration, so you will not have to e-mail Jeff every time you reinstall the game.
Seems more likely to me than the first reply. :)
And I do vaguely remember reading this somewhere.

But.... These instructions can't be send through e-mail? :confused:

I recieved the key 12th of april, about 14 days ago.

[ Tuesday, April 25, 2006 13:08: Message edited by: SevenMass ]

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #6
quote:

I don't know why, but for some reason even if you don't order a CD they still send you a package by regular mail. That package contains registration code, a catalogue of their games, instructions on backing up your registration, and maybe a manual (don't remember exactly).

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #7
You only get the manual if you buy it.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
You only get the hint book if you buy it. You get the manual whether you want it or not.

—Alorael, who can assure you that installing an upgrade does not unregister any Spiderweb game. That would be too much of a pain for anyone, including Jeff, who would have to send out many new codes every time he released a patch.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

quote:

That package contains registration code, a catalogue of their games, instructions on backing up your registration, and maybe a manual (don't remember exactly).

Interesting. I never got any catalogue each time I got a package from Spiderweb. About that manual... There can't be a printed version of the manual, is there? I mean, it's already included with the game...

[ Tuesday, April 25, 2006 23:07: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #10
I never got a manual either, just a letter thanking me for my purchase and listing my registration key.

--------------------
--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Lo material lo tov:

—Alorael, who can assure you that installing an upgrade does not unregister any Spiderweb game. That would be too much of a pain for anyone, including Jeff, who would have to send out many new codes every time he released a patch.
So the registration code and the key are not linked?

So if I upgrade my hardware and have to do a completely clean install, there are no files I have to transfer from my old system/back-up? (other than the safed game files of course)
Just re-type the key and its unlocked again?

Then what was the point of the registration code?

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
The registration code and the key are linked, of course. Your code is only good for the one key that is generated by the program.

However, the game remembers that it is registered through a flag set in a settings file. If you back up and restore the old settings file, the game will remain unlocked. Since installing an upgrade does not overwrite the settings file (or shouldn't, I'm not sure), upgrading won't unregister the game.

At least that's what I remember from the Avernum Trilogy. A4 might work differently.

[ Wednesday, April 26, 2006 03:27: Message edited by: Nyarlathotep ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
A4 works the same way. A clean install will wipe your registration unless you save the necessary file.

—Alorael, who believes Jeff tells you which file to save when you get your code. If not, you can always request a new one.
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #14
Alright, I think I figured it out.

Some kind of of error must have happened. I e-mailed Spiderweb about it, and they e-mailed me the back-up information.

I'm a happy costumer again! :cool:

--------------------
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
One things that's not clear to me, is what happens to your old key. When you ask Jeff for a new key, does he delete the old one from the system? If not, then how does he now that people who registered, don't give other people who not registered, free copies of the game?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
Avernum randomly generates a registration number when you first run it. The correct registration code corresponds to the registration number. If things go wrong and you have to delete everything and reinstall, Avernum randomly generates a new registration number. Neither code nor number are in any way linked to any computer but your own, so a database wouldn't do anything.

Without going into details of Spiderweb piracy, there are easier ways to rob Jeff than asking him for registration codes for other people. Besides, I think it's not really a huge risk. Most people probably don't know enough other players of Spiderweb games to make that kind of theft cost Jeff very much.

—Alorael, who would like to steer this back away from the illegal and who has nothing more legal to say.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
quote:

I'm a happy costumer again! :cool:
Quoted for posterity. :D

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.