Restarting or continuing?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Restarting or continuing?
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #0
I finally got some free time, so I'm going to try and complete A4. Now, I have a save game at the Formello barrier, which I played through the demo version with before I registered, but I may have missed/misused a lot of stuff.

I probably also set my characters up totally wrong as well, so is it worth starting from the beginning again? And if so, what kind of set-up would you suggest? My regular Avernum party (Slith polearm-man, Nephil archer/thief, priest and thief-mage) managed all right so far, so will they be okay through the rest of the game?

Thanks, Nkkxx

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #1
I'm in the same situation with Exile 2 and 3, and decided to start a new file so that everything that's going on (and what, precisely, I'm supposed to do– all the games except Exile 1 kind of run together for me ^_^) is fresh in my mind, since I didn't do anything on those games since I finished the demos.

--------------------
A C, an E-flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin walks up to them and says, "Hey! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says, "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
It's hard to go disastrously wrong with a full party of four with no special handicaps. Keep playing if you want. On the other hand, you're not so far in that replaying the beginning is a great loss.

—Alorael, who is obsessive enough to restart many times to get his beginning just right.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #3
I think it's worth re-starting if you got your skills wrong (e.g. neglecting first aid) or if your party's leveling up is unbalanced. I try to get roughly the same amount of experience penalty/bonus for each PC but in practice it doesn't always turn out that way. It irritates me if one member of the party is lagging behind in levels, so I would tend to rebalance the party to avoid that.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I play through A4 with only the First Aid that can be purchased, not any from training. It's perfectly fine to get through the demo without any.

I also play through without training any number of other skills until I've purchased my points, but that is because I am crazy.

—Alorael, who concedes that it makes the demo a bit harder, but it's no problem in the long run.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
You're not that far along that you can restart and catch up quickly. Having a thief that isn't a mage isn't helpful in A4. The unlock spell and mage skills combine to get you through locked doors and chest with difficulties over 20. The skill points could have been used elsewhere. Otherwise your party is fine.

I prefer to start with two spellcasters that have both priest and mage spells. The duplication means more attacks and/or healing as needed. There are a few threads covering party formation.
BANNED
Member # 5663
Profile #6
Never have a non-magical thief in A4 unless you plan on using every skill point you ever recieve to upgrade the tool use skill.

--------------------
I'm drunk as think as you not am I.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #7
...But will my mage recieve enough skill points to be able to max out her mage spells skill as well as get a high enough tool use level?

I'm concerned that my mage will be able to open every door in the game, but won't be able to cast any decent spells. Or is that not a problem?

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Nikki xx:

...But will my mage recieve enough skill points to be able to max out her mage spells skill as well as get a high enough tool use level?

I'm concerned that my mage will be able to open every door in the game, but won't be able to cast any decent spells. Or is that not a problem?

Don't worry about it. It really isn't a problem. You only ever need to get your mage's Tool Use up to 16, which is very manageable. If you try to keep both your Mage Spells and Tool Use high early on, you'll probably have to hold off on Spellcraft for a while, but that's not such a bad idea anyway since you can buy training for it in Cotra.

[ Friday, April 21, 2006 05:34: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
There are plenty of wisdom crystals in the Great Cave. There will be no problem getting tool use and mage spells high enough. You don't need tool use above 12 in the demo section and even later on in the game. You only need TU 16 for the end.

I wrote a spoiler listing wisdom crystals if you wonder when you will get them.
Apprentice
Member # 7027
Profile #10
Consider using one PC. I'm very satisfied as my character is finishing the game at 49th level as a priest/mage. When you need people with high Arcane Lore, Nature Lore, or Tool Use just "summon" a new character who can get the skill up to 16. Then delete them afterwards to make sure you get maximum XP. This is on the borderlands of cheating but hey, consider it a off-label use of the "summoning" spell.
Apprentice
Member # 6979
Profile #11
I am not convinced that having a mage-thief is best. I had one archer-thief with tool use of 16 largely from having the trait. He did all my traps. My mage put 4 skill points to get 3 TU before equipment, which was probably unnecessary. I was able to get so much SC/magery with my leftover skill points that I could easily open every door in the game without any problems. I don't know which is best, but this worked great for me.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by AncalagonTheBlack:

I am not convinced that having a mage-thief is best. I had one archer-thief with tool use of 16 largely from having the trait. He did all my traps. My mage put 4 skill points to get 3 TU before equipment, which was probably unnecessary. I was able to get so much SC/magery with my leftover skill points that I could easily open every door in the game without any problems. I don't know which is best, but this worked great for me.
Even the level-35 door in Patrick's Tower that doesn't have a key to it? I'm impressed. Wouldn't you need both Spellcraft and Magery at around 15-20 to get that door open with Unlock alone (assuming a Mage Spells skill of 17)?

[ Tuesday, April 25, 2006 14:55: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!