Pure Spirit way better then natural mage...?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Pure Spirit way better then natural mage...?
Apprentice
Member # 4383
Profile #0
I have been doing some testing of traits and I found that natural mage gives the following:

+2 initial bonus to mage spells
+1 initial bonus to magical efficiency

+1 mage spell bonus per 6 levels
+1 magical efficiency bonus per 10 levels

Pure spirit gives the following:

+2 initial bonus to priest spells
+2 initial bonus to magical efficiency!!

+1 priest spell bonus per 6 levels
+1 magical efficiency per 6 levels!!!

So if i had to choose between the 2 its Pure spirit all the way, assuming I use non encumbering armor.

Also anyone know the formula for magical efficiency?? Everyone says that it sucks.... BUT you get a pretty hefty bonus by level 30 ( +11 ) if you had both natural mage and pure spirit, and thats before any training or items.
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #1
Don't forget that mage spells cost more to train than priest spells.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Don't forget that magical efficiency is worthless.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Don't forget that Magical Efficiency is gravy, not a useful skill. Casting in armor is vital if you plan to have mages.

—Alorael, who likes the irony of Magical Efficiency being the least efficient way to conserve magic.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4383
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by PDN of the People:

[QB]Don't forget that Magical Efficiency is gravy, not a useful skill.QB]
Says who? Where do you get the basis for that statement?

Even with a +11 bonus?

This is why I am asking, does anyone know the formula for magical efficiency?
Apprentice
Member # 4383
Profile #5
Wow, got it up to 25 and really doesn't do much :(

Well that sucks, when you get a skill to 25 you really expect some payback of some kind.

It even seems it never decreases the casting cost of spells like icy rain. I tried nummerous times and it always costed 8.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #6
Well at higher levels you will almost always cost a few points less for the most expensive spells. I believe the savings is proportionate to the cost of the spell, so savings are less likely on cheap spells. I'd say I save about 50 or so total sp casting augmentation, steel skin, and enduring armor with my two characters with both traits+ a few points from other sources near the end of the game.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #7
Magical Efficiency is AWFUL. I did tests on it which are somewhere in this forum, too. Even with a maximum skill level of 30 magical efficiency, the mana saved is relatively low and inconsistently applied.

HOWEVER, since priest spell skill is responsible for damage from Divine Retribution AND dodge % from the enduring spells, I'd argue that a ridiculously high one is rather more useful than in mage spell skill.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
Natural mage is useful for the armor allowed penalty going from 5% to 20%. This means that a mage can use more different armors and combinations.

The real benefit for having one character with natural mage is that Terror is more likely to work. This seems to extend to even items like the Terror wand.

The cost to train up in mage spells is higher than priest, so you can use Natural Mage with tool use and train up as a priest for extra spells.