How important is Luck?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How important is Luck?
Apprentice
Member # 6149
Profile #0
In the geneforge games, I always put a few points in luck at the start. It's also dirt cheap, starting at a cost of 1 point.

In A4, it starts at 4 points! This seems like a really hefty investment. So far, none of my characters have any luck at all. Now I'm wondering if this is a bad move...is luck worth it? And if so, how much?

I've also read that it may increase item drops...is this true? And if so, does it work off the highest luck in the group (like tool use), or off the group's total luck (like lore)?
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #1
Luck is enormously powerful, it affects your armor and all your resists. I haven't noticed drop increases or random happenings though.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
There is a spoiler that looks at luck. You need alot of luck to really see an increase in dropped treasure.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #3
Also helps you find secret passages that you could never find on your own.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Apprentice
Member # 3371
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

Also helps you find secret passages that you could never find on your own.
what?!?! were? do tell

--------------------
Row!!!
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #5
No. Not telling. Wouldn't be secret anymore would it?

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #6
I read about lucking into secret passages before being told about them, but it never happened to me.

Luck is best in parties of four where you can give it to the fighters. It helped me get fine razordisks in R-I's little trap and 2 fine waveblades when the Vahnatai assassins appeared.
Apprentice
Member # 6938
Profile #7
Luck seems to work off the party total, not just the highest level of one character.
If you do not have any luck invested yet, you may be okay. It seems you need a lot of luck at the beginning to get better drops, but less at the end (though higher luck does give better items). Maybe due to percentages and higher monsters being able to drop more/better things?
Even without better items, the resistances and armor that luck provides makes giving two points to each figher (and anyone else who gets hit often) quite worth it, especially at the end when more spells are cast against your party.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #8
I remember someone saying that luck causes increases in your chance to hit and avoid (though less than other skills that do that), and though it can't be quantified there seems to be a damage increase.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s