Balanced Cheating for the Singleton

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Balanced Cheating for the Singleton
Apprentice
Member # 6861
Profile #0
Hey, I'll keep it short. I want to do a singleton, however, the horror stories I'm hearing are telling me it's not going to be nearly as easy as it was in A1-A3... The main problem seems to be the experience wall... I was wondering if anyone out there had some sort of algorithm for using the exp. cheat to make up for this?

--------------------
Blue.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Play without cheating until the game becomes impossible. Cheat until it's not impossible anymore. Repeat as necessary.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 6861
Profile #2
The thing is, I want to have fun with it. Honestly, if I spend the entire game just dying over and over until I go alright, lemme cheat and get past this is no fun for me. I was hoping someone knew enough about the exp. laws of the game to just give a balanced method in which it is by all means possible, if reasonably more difficult to beat the game with a singleton... Wait... I just realized how tall that order is...

--------------------
Blue.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1115
Profile Homepage #3
If I recall correctly, singletons in the previous games finished at what, about 1.5x the average level of a normal party? So just keep track of your "real" level and your "balanced" level; every once in a while, give yourself enough skillpoints so that your "balanced" level is half again your "real" level. Alternatively, give yourself an extra five skillpoints every other level.

--------------------
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -Porkypine
Derakon's Library
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #4
The exp wall isn't a problem for a singleton if you do all the quests. You'll get 0-1 xp for kills in some areas, but quest xp keep you higher level than a party would be.

My singleton is skipping tool use, it's working pretty well. Lvl 20 so far.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
We really can't give you specific numerical advice without knowing how good a player you are. If you're great, you won't need to cheat even with a singleton on Torment. If you're awful, you might need to cheat even with a party of four on Easy.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 6861
Profile #6
I play pretty well I think. I've beaten all the exiles, avernums and geneforges so far without much of a problem. I'm currently taking a four member party through on torment and finding it fairly challenging but its nothing too difficult.

--------------------
Blue.
Warrior
Member # 6912
Profile #7
this is what i am doing its working great so far (i just got to the castle) at the very start i pumped up nature lore and arcain lore to 11 and i put 3 points to strength and 1 to indurance and deffence. I used the trainer for that i also gave my self 3 grand so i could buy much needed spells like heal and cure.

but remember that u can buy skills so use money for that if u can level something up with money dont spend skill points on it

i have a slith mage/prist with natural mage/ellite warrior traits. Dont worrie about the EXP penalties.

[ Wednesday, March 15, 2006 15:52: Message edited by: rantalot ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
Based upon Synergy's singleton you reach level 45 with a 55% experience penalty before the final area. Since he didn't have dispel barrier he missed out on converting ingredients into knowledge brews.

I've been running singletons on torment level and at 55% penalty I got to the Castle at level 30 and found or bought 11 wisdom crystals and/or knowledge brews. Since then I found 2 more and 2 that were not yours, but easily stealable. The consensus is that you can get about 30 knowledge brews made but I'm not sure what nature lore you will need. It should be possible to get more knowledge brew ingredients than the cost to boost nature lore.

While running a singleton is hard, I've found that if you think out your character somewhat in advance and pay attention it is playable without using the cheat codes. You do use information from previous games to plan ahead otherwise you will die alot. Save your money for buying wisdom crystals, knowledge brews, spell training (but not spells for parties like unshackle mind), and skill training. Try not to buy too may potions and other items since if you are careful and don't press your luck you can find most of what you need. Just go back to town to recharge health and spell points.

Put a lot of skill points to dexterity and defense at the start and most monsters won't hit you. Hold off on nature lore until the end. Get arcane lore after you can train for it cheaply in Cotra and don't get too much. First aid is useless so only buy it.

It can be more fun than a full party, but it requires a different strategy.

Good Luck and Enjoy

[ Wednesday, March 15, 2006 17:02: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Warrior
Member # 6912
Profile #9
wow thats impresive i doubt i'd make it to the castle with out using the trainer at the start