Not really a bug, but odd effect

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Not really a bug, but odd effect
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #0
I noticed that if you start a character with no spell skills they will still know minor heal and bolt of fire at level one, and if you then tive them skill and train the spells you can get them to level 3, however if someone starts with some points in the spell skills trainers will only train them to level 2, so to get the best possible skill in those spells you have to start out being unable to cast spells.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Yep; I made this observation before in another topic. One extra spell level doesn't make all that much difference in the long run, though -- I'd still rather start out with spells, even at the cost of losing a spell level of one spell.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Right now I'm restricting my game style to use no magic other than healing potions, mostly because the combat seems to have gotten so awfully tedious with the auto-revival.

That this would technically enable me to get more powerful spells than I would otherwise (if I were to switch to using magic now) is kind of ironic though...

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
A no-magic party seems likely to consist entirely of invincible Parry fighters who chip away at enemies 20-30 HP at a time. This seems unlikely to make your game less tedious. :P

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
That party would be far from invicible, since Parry only gives 1% parry per weighted point (10 at 10, 11 at 12, etc) against missiles and spells. Archers would mow you down.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Okay, so it'd probably be prudent to give them some bow skills of their own as well. :P

--------------------
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #6
"I noticed that if you start a character with no spell skills they will still know minor heal and bolt of fire at level one"

I just do this as a minor convenience, both to me (since it allows me to assume when coding that everyone always knows at least one spell) and to the player (so that, should they decide to buy a spell skill, they don't have to hunt down a spell merchant to get use out of it).

As we 1337 game developers like to say, By Design.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
That's understandable. However, it's still weird that if you start out *without* any spell skills, then you can get them later, and get Bolt of Fire and Minor Heal to level 3 by training, whereas if you start out *with* spell skills, you can only train them up to level 2. Of course, it's not a big deal at all, so if it'd require a significant engine change to make it work differently I can certainly see why you'd rather leave it as is.

[ Wednesday, March 08, 2006 15:20: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5137
Profile #8
I might add, it's very nice, paticularly to have minor heal by default. One level of priest skill on any given character and you have an emergency healer.

Sure it's not going to heal a lot of damage, but it's great for when you hit a trap and it kills your designated priest, or some such nonsense.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #9
I find it more useful to give your fighters 2 levels of priest skill so you can start fights by having them cast war blessing and protection (since skill affects duration, not potency), leaving your mages to cast haste or other spells, so in addition the small amount of mp used will be restored by first aid leaving less mp drain on your mages per fight as well.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
I suppose that if you really play to get magical levels as high as possible, just save the original skill points, raise them immediately afterwards, and buy the spells as soon as the money is available.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Consistency makes things easier to understand...

[ Thursday, March 09, 2006 20:28: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #11
Just noticed another minor oversight. In Silvar you get a special item named "silver sewer key", however in the item description it describes it as copper, not silver.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #12
You'll want to rethink your no offensive magic policy when you get to the Honeycomb and its Draining Slimes. While you can kill them without magic, they will inflict some major damage when they hit your "invincible" party. Not to mention that it wll take at least five times as long to get through them when they start splitting.

Also the Shard Arachnea take almost no damage from weapons. I never got more than 5 from even Spear of the Fens. I forgot to try Oozing Sword, but even that will be terribly slow.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Walter:

Just noticed another minor oversight. In Silvar you get a special item named "silver sewer key", however in the item description it describes it as copper, not silver.
It's electroplated.

On a more serious note, I would imagine it was probably meant to be "Silvar Sewer Key". :P

[ Thursday, March 09, 2006 22:40: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #14
Yes, but the text says silver.

Also, for two separate keys that you get in the tower ruins incorrectly are described as being for Patricks tower instead.

--------------------