Fort Monastery - iron bar quest

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Fort Monastery - iron bar quest
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #0
The quest you get from the Smith in Fort Monastery where he asks you to bring him bars of iron, does that stay on your quest list forever (like a similar one in Geneforge 3)?

I've brought him 6 iron bars so far and he just pays me gold, but the quest still remains on my list.
Apprentice
Member # 6654
Profile #1
I've never had it go away either. Practically every spiderweb game has had a quest like this, they're just a good way to make money and maybe a little experience.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
I brought him dozens of bars and it never went away. I'd say you're stuck with it.

I kind of liked that there was one quest like this in A3 that did eventually go away.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #3
Why he would need so much iron is a mystery. He is after all on the frontier meaning a serious lack of soldiers. Perhaps he sells the bars to a another merchant for yet more profit.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #4
That would be appropriately sneaky. I think I'm going to protest against his middle-man extortion and not bring him any more bars. Hmmm... Actually, I don't think I need anything more in Fort Monastery, so I don't mind if they get a little angry at me for a spot of murder...

Md.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #5
As long as the door is closed, you can murder without them getting angry at you. Best part of A4, IMO :P .

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by WonkoTheSane:

As long as the door is closed, you can murder without them getting angry at you. Best part of A4, IMO :P .
Speaking of which, and bear with me since this might be construed as a noob-ish question...but how can I steal something in a seemingly empty room?

For example, I'm in the Castle and there's a chest with an icy geode I wouldn't mind having for a quest. The geode has a "NY" on it, but as far as I can tell I'm the only one in the room with no NPC's around anywhere. Yet, each time I snatch te item I get the dreaded "Your crime was seen" message.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Somebody must be nearby. If you steal something in a truly empty room, you can get away with it. If BoA is anything to judge by, Avernum handles line-of-sight sort of weirdly, so that you may not be able to see people, but they can see you.

Bear in mind that most places have a crime tolerance of 2, so you can steal one thing without making the town hostile.

[ Wednesday, February 01, 2006 07:37: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Somebody must be nearby. If you steal something in a truly empty room, you can get away with it. If BoA is anything to judge by, Avernum handles line-of-sight sort of weirdly, so that you may not be able to see people, but they can see you.

Bear in mind that most places have a crime tolerance of 2, so you can steal one thing without making the town hostile.

It must be one of the Castle servants then.
Thanks for the advice.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #9
Yes what a nice feature murder is. The king and Solberg died on my sword. Scratch that apparently King Strattus has too many guards so I loose. :(

[ Wednesday, February 01, 2006 14:07: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Yes what a nice feature murder is. The king and Solberg died on my sword. Scratch that apparently King Strattus has too many guards so I loose. :(
Ahh. Lord British, wither didst thou go? There is honour of a sort not easily comprehended in killing the king.

(Is Starrus actually unkillable or just well guarded?)
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #11
He is very much killable.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 4267
Profile Homepage #12
You can kill lord british :D there's just a trick too it :D

--------------------
If everyone would just forgive someone else, so much pain would be taken off of all of our shoulders... but as tenderness is a virtue it is also a failing, any who would do such a thing usually fall to those who wouldn't. - Ezrah
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
There's a different trick to killing Lord British in every game.

There's no trick at all to killing Starrus. It's just unfortunate that you have to die too.

—Alorael, who can't understand why Emperor Hawthorne, the most powerful man in the world, couldn't come up with some kind of instant death script or special node but Starrus and Micah, impoverished kings of an exiled nation, could.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #14
Well, I suppose the equivalent trick would be to kill Starrus (or have him die) and not die yourself. Is there any loophole in the script? Is the script location specific? What if you aren't actually in the castle when he dies? (Either draw him away from the castle or poison/acid him and run.)

Enquiring minds want to know. Well, that and I can't get to my home computer to try it out myself.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #15
The Castle's zone script checks every turn to see if Starrus is alive. If he isn't, the script displays a note about you being captured etc. It also notes that the zone has become hostile. Interestingly, it looks like it will then take until the next running of the zone script's START_STATE for the party to be killed. So, you could get away with it, I think, if you killed Starrus, and then got far enough away, and stayed far enough away, in a single turn, that the Castle's script never got to run again. This is in fact quite far, I believe, since I have noted that scripts in Almaria begin to run when the party arrives in Camp Samuels by teleporter.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #16
What if one of his guards murders him?

Edit: Hmm, apparently I cannot enter the castle now as the guards believe I killed someone. How long will that last? It appears that you can kill people behind doors in the Castle but eventually there are repercussions.

[ Thursday, February 02, 2006 23:17: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
If the guards kill Starrus the script sees that he's dead and you die too. Justice is swift, harsh, and not terribly logical in Avernum.

—Alorael, who doesn't even know if it's possible to get guards to meet Starrus.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00