Did I miss the first trial?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Did I miss the first trial?
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #0
Hey,

I'm busy bashing my way through A4 (and thinking it's awesome, by the way) but I'm, a little worried I've missed something.

I was cleaning out the tunnels north of Fort Dranlon and I found a weird magically locked door that had a map-like thing on it that directed me to a tunnel north of Formello.

So I went there, and it was some testing thing, sort of like what the Vahnatai make you do in Crystal Souls, however, it seemed it was the *second* of the tests. Where the hell is the first one? I figure it must be in the north-east quadrant of Avernum (still keep going to call it Exile, A4 is really reminding me of the 'old days'). But I'm pretty sure I've explored everywhere up there...

It could be that I *did* do it, just that I don't remember - I sort of had a break between hitting the registration barrier, and getting the full vers, and I don't remember many details of then... If it's the chamber just west of Grindstone, then I've done that already. Grrr! I can't remember it though!

So, if someone can really tentatively hint me in the direction of where this testing set of quests starts off, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks heaps,
Md.
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #1
Talk to the priestess in Formello. If she sells you spells, then you've done it. Otherwise, she'll tell you where to go.

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #2
Ok, yeah, she sells me spells. I assume it was the weird testing thing in the circle south-east of Formello? How did that lead onto the place north of Formello? Did the priest tell me and I've just missed it or something? Or does it not lead on, and it's a find-it-yourself sort of thing...?

Md.
Apprentice
Member # 6650
Profile #3
The priestess is unrelated to the trials. Trial one is is near Grindstone, and the second is in the Mortax caves.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #4
Ok, so it was that little chamber near Grindstone...

Is there anyone that directs you to the place (apart from the fisherman near there that describes it's location?). Hmmm, just did the third then, and the conversation options suggested to me that I (as in my party) had no idea what was going on...

Thanks guys!

Md.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
The dialogue is supposed to turn out like that, since after all, nobody really explains the whole testing thing to you, except the paltry exposition granted by the various testing shades. In fact, nobody ever mentions the tests. Ever. Not even in The Castle.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
There's no real hint to lead you to the trials and no real discussion of them, anywhere or ever. They're somewhat half-baked. Actually, as you'll see when you reach the end, they're completely half-baked.

—Alorael, who considers the trial near Motrax's lair to be the hardest.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Does anyone else think it's funny that "somewhat half-baked" (i.e. a quarter-baked) is less bad than "completely half-baked"?

I'm not sure if this has been made clear in the thread (it was mentioned, but obliquely), so I'll say it directly: you can always trace your way backwards. If you have not completed the previous test, there will be a map to the previous test. At the previous test, if you have not completed the test before that, there will be a map to that test. You can always just keep going back.

If there is no map backwards, then you've finished the test.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Localized Unreality Distortion:

There's no real hint to lead you to the trials and no real discussion of them, anywhere or ever. They're somewhat half-baked. Actually, as you'll see when you reach the end, they're completely half-baked.

—Alorael, who considers the trial near Motrax's lair to be the hardest.

Untrue. West of Grindstone, near the river, is a huntre that lvies alone. He is friendly enough an speaks with you, and if you ask him about the area he mentions a cave to the south, where adventurers used to travel to, and that he had seen a great number of them enter and leave.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
But nobody ever talks about the trials, why they were made, why they're not finished, what they're for, who keeps refilling the reward boxes, and so on.

—Alorael, who prefers to think of bakedness on a reversed scale from 1 to 0. Half-baked is 0.5, so somewhat half-baked is less than half-baked is >0.5.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #10
True, but there is a hint that leads you to the first trial.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Localized Unreality Distortion:

—Alorael, who prefers to think of bakedness on a reversed scale from 1 to 0. Half-baked is 0.5, so somewhat half-baked is less than half-baked is >0.5.
So when one is judging the extent to which something is baked, one is actually judging the extent to which it is not baked? :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
Bakedness is like what you expect in a bakery. A perfectly baked product occasions no comment. Any deviation from absolute bakedness must be catalogued.

—Alorael, who isn't quite sure of the bakedness (or, more precisely, unbakedness) units. Would they be the negative joule second?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
Decreasing experience gain doesn't make for a longer or better game. It makes for frustration. The ideal is a balancing act wherein the party has enough experience after completing one area to move on to the next, where it will be challenged but not overwhelmed. Slower experience means larger areas with equal experience gain overall, sharply increased difficulty, or mindless and repetitive random monster killings to get the needed experience.

—Alorael, who believes that online RPGs have a term for that: grinding. It is generally considered a bad thing, although some games (Diablo) make it work for them.
Apprentice
Member # 6961
Profile #14
In the Motrax caves. Is there something special you need? I got it down to 1 HP and he finally vanished and it said I did not do sufficient damage?
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #15
He says that you did not take sufficient damage.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Apprentice
Member # 6961
Profile #16
Ok so I am confused. He is supposed to hurt me more? I had to do a group heal a couple of times.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
He is supposed to hurt you a lot. The easiest way to deal with it is to send in one character with no cold resistance and no buffs that will reduce damage. Augmentation is very helpful, though. Just let the skeleton beat up the character and have your other characters heal as necessary. It will take a while, but you'll take enough damage.

—Alorael, who doesn't like that trial very much. It requires almost no thinking and a great deal of patience.
Apprentice
Member # 6961
Profile #18
What about the cotra shade?
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #19
The Cotra shade is part of a mid-endgame quest. Just avoid getting killed by it and you should be ok.

EDIT: Wrong city. The third test is what I must now assume you're talking about. The third test is not northwest of Cotra, it's northeast of fort Dranlon.

[ Thursday, April 20, 2006 19:58: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????