Av4 Character Editor... will one ever be made

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Av4 Character Editor... will one ever be made
Apprentice
Member # 3741
Profile Homepage #0
Having tried the cheats (they suck :P ) then the in game Editor by Hawk King (so limited...), I was wondering if anyone would in the future make an application that acts like the orginal Avernum character editors (since I'm guessing it would not be hard for someone who knows Av4's data intimately to build one).

And I know everyone can go on with the "Why bother cheating" line but that's not what this query is about.

Normally when I've completed an Avernum game a number of times I get to the point where I get bored so I use the Character editor to make a ready to go character with equipment all set up and a history of great or evil deeds behind him/her, so instead of starting with a group of novices wielding rusty knifes I get to go around as a lone (normally) experienced yet balanced veteran to add to a whole new challenge.

The lack of character editor was a really downer in that respect... :(

--------------------
"...Bahl'al spurred his army onward with a blistering wind. Three full days before his army arrived... the citizens of Tyr knew their doom lumbered nearer with each passing hour..."
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
I doubt there will be a character editor. You can always cheat by modifying the scripts, however.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3741
Profile Homepage #2
Would there be a Av4 character editor if you had to pay say $5 for it? ;)

--------------------
"...Bahl'al spurred his army onward with a blistering wind. Three full days before his army arrived... the citizens of Tyr knew their doom lumbered nearer with each passing hour..."
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #3
no

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #4
I really want to edit in the Girdle of Might. I swear to god I never sold it, because I was waiting to get it, but I have been to the place where allegedly it was supposed to be, and it isn't.

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #5
There's more than one of each of the Girdle's...you'll get another chance. :)

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #6
There won't ever be an editor for Avernum 4, but I am strongly considering relenting for Avernum 5, should it be written. (And, considering how crazy much Avernum 4 we're selling, Avernum 5 seems a good bet.)

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
I'd certainly like a Character Editor, personally.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5517
Profile #8
same here
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
I also found the character editor to be much more effective, user-friendly, and useful than the weird cheat system.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 272
Profile #10
If you're not sure whether to go ahead with making Avernum 5, you have my vote. Aye!

--------------------
" In Defeat, Malice; In Victory, Revenge! "
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
You vote with your cash. A purchase of A4 is a vote for A5.

And to those of you who scream, "poll tax," I say: perhaps. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

You vote with your cash. A purchase of A4 is a vote for A5.
From what I've heard of A4 and expect from A5, an argument against. I guessed that abandoning the system of previous Avernum games would be bad, and what people have said seems to confirm that.

But hey, I'll wait for the Windows demo and see...

[ Wednesday, January 11, 2006 06:38: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
Whatever the complaints, and there are some valid ones, the A4 engine is better than the older Avernum engines. Just fight a few of the more interesting fights and that becomes abundantly clear. All that's really missing is secret doors. And crate puzzles, if you're really a masochist.

The graphics are always a wash. Jeff can't plesae the Exile-philes, the Geneforge-philes, and the Avernum-philes at the same time. I'm not complaining.

The plot could have been better, but that's not an engine problem.

—Alorael, who concludes that you should really play the game before complaining. Have you ever known Spidwebbers to do anything but gripe?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 272
Profile #14
Good point. I loved Exile/Avernum, haven't decided whether the Geneforge series is worth buying (the demo was okay, but overall it didn't "grab" me like Exile did).

--------------------
" In Defeat, Malice; In Victory, Revenge! "
Apprentice
Member # 5707
Profile Homepage #15
avernum 3 is the best i think ;) uhm... ok i have no idea why im posting here...

--------------------
Heh...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
Natty, it is generally considered polite to leave an old thread alone unless you have something genuinely new and useful to add.

You did not.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 3241
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Bent Spoon:

The graphics are always a wash. Jeff can't plesae the Exile-philes, the Geneforge-philes, and the Avernum-philes at the same time. I'm not complaining.

It's just that I would like Geneforge graphics to please Geneforge-philes and Avernum graphics to please Avernum-philes. I was totally shocked when I noticed the total lack of outdoors. I had liked them a lot in the other Avernums.

[ Tuesday, March 07, 2006 10:28: Message edited by: Bestrafer_fin ]

--------------------
Visit the www.monkkonen.net and if you like, be the member of the forums.
Apprentice
Member # 6869
Profile #18
What makes me angry its i accidently did an error to my charactors and i tried to fix it and BECAUSE there is NO editor. :mad: :mad: I really wish that the creator of avernum 4 will create a "Charactor editor" and for players of Avernum to download and for those who doesn't want it don't need to download it. Anyone that read this, reply if you Agree or Disagree

--------------------
I have ideas, suggestions, and helpful adds that will help anyone. The only thing I am not always on the forum.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Super ideal idea:

What makes me angry its i accidently did an error to my charactors and i tried to fix it and BECAUSE there is NO editor. :mad: :mad: I really wish that the creator of avernum 4 will create a "Charactor editor" and for players of Avernum to download and for those who doesn't want it don't need to download it. Anyone that read this, reply if you Agree or Disagree
What kind of error? You might be able to fix it with one of the cheats.

Jeff won't make a character editor, and we need to make peace with this fact. The cheats are all we're getting. Besides, if he didn't listen to the Mac users when we complained earlier, why would he start listening now?

Besides, it's more of a challenge to avoid using the character editor... so I disagree. Let somebody else make the character editor if they need it so badly.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 6869
Profile #20
quote:
What kind of error? You might be able to fix it with one of the cheats.

Jeff won't make a character editor, and we need to make peace with this fact. The cheats are all we're getting. Besides, if he didn't listen to the Mac users when we complained earlier, why would he start listening now?

Besides, it's more of a challenge to avoid using the character editor... so I disagree. Let somebody else make the character editor if they need it so badly.
Well i tried to put those Inhencers (that are "Elite Warrior", "Bless at Birth", etc...) But i forgot to put some to certain of my caracters and there are NO CHEATS :eek: to correct that.

--------------------
I have ideas, suggestions, and helpful adds that will help anyone. The only thing I am not always on the forum.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #21
I wouldn't mind the character editor for when I forget to save my game before selling suff and accidentally sell something I wanted to keep.

I've only used one three times before. Once I came back to the save game to find my boat was gone and there was no other way back in Exile 2. In Blades of Exile, A Small Rebellion scenario, I was piling up experience and loot from a gold mine filled with spirits when my money went to negative 32,000 something instead of maxing out. The only time it was my fault was in Avernum 2 when I needed spell points for Move Mountains to get out an area that I should have caught as a trap and had no save files before it.

I wouldn't mind being able to tweak an existing character to change spent skill points.
Apprentice
Member # 374
Profile #22
I'm making one but unfortunately, it will only be for windows users (being as I'll be using Visual C++ .NET) and I dont think I have the stamina to allow for item editing. Itll just be stats, traits and money editing. Ive figured out most of the save format info with regards to characters.

"Header" stores the little image, time, date and all that. "Data" is where character info starts. Stuff like Level, for the first character, is stored at the 23968th byte, stats begin at the 24006th etc. I was bored last night. :D

p.s. i started because i didnt pay attention to the unlock door - tool use connection. :mad: :mad: Took care of that problem. :)

[ Wednesday, March 08, 2006 08:13: Message edited by: Red_Sage ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Red_Sage:

I'm making one but unfortunately, it will only be for windows users (being as I'll be using Visual C++ .NET) and I dont think I have the stamina to allow for item editing. Itll just be stats, traits and money editing. Ive figured out most of the save format info with regards to characters.

"Header" stores the little image, time, date and all that. "Data" is where character info starts. Stuff like Level, for the first character, is stored at the 23968th byte, stats begin at the 24006th etc. I was bored last night. :D

p.s. i started because i didnt pay attention to the unlock door - tool use connection. :mad: :mad: Took care of that problem. :)

Glad to hear it. Good luck to you!
Warrior
Member # 6508
Profile #24
when will it be done...WHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

--------------------
Spiders,webs and software is great but Spiderwebsoftware is the best.

Pages