First Impressions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: First Impressions
Apprentice
Member # 6540
Profile Homepage #0
I must admit, I had my doubts. The screenshots looked weird and messy and I certainly didn't want to have another Geneforge instead of Avernum. But these fears were ungrounded.

Avernum IV is loads of fun.

It takes all of the annoyances out of the Avernum and Geneforge series and fuses them together in an awesome way. Here are the highlights for me:

1) First Aid is actually useful.
2) Area of effect spells a la Exile are back.
3) Blessing/hasting/shielding isn't enough to win battles.
4) Unlimited arrows.
5) Death is much easier to deal with, causing me to fight battles out till the bitter end instead of loading my saved game.
6) It looks nice, and runs smoother than the old games.

Nice work Jeff. I've been a Spiderweb fan since Exile: Escape From The Pit (I was seven at the time, and absoultely terrible, but I had fun playing it anyway) and this may be the finest creation yet. Bravo.
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #1
I doubted this would be a great game like BoA or BoE, but with that stuff said, I WANNA PLAY THAT!!! :cool:

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by NowAndAgain:

1) First Aid is actually useful.
2) Area of effect spells a la Exile are back.
3) Blessing/hasting/shielding isn't enough to win battles.
4) Unlimited arrows.
5) Death is much easier to deal with, causing me to fight battles out till the bitter end instead of loading my saved game.
6) It looks nice, and runs smoother than the old games.

1)...
2)WOW i see that Jeff listened our wishes about that, but spells like curse all are not back aren't them?
3)that is good, well still is somewhat annoying, but makes the game more fair
4)That is a very good thing, but now the poor fletchers will starve to death! But maybe that means that the lights arrows are lost...
5)And how the death is easier to deal with? Anyway im already used to load and save everytime.
6)Well that would be obvious, but some people still don't like hte new graphics, me for example hate the idea of the flat world...
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #3
Characters don't die, they just go unconscious. And then you magically transport them around with you until you get back to a town, at which point they revive.
I believe all that's lost are the XP they miss in any battles. ;)

However, it can be irritating since you also lose access to their inventory while they're dead. :(

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Apprentice
Member # 6547
Profile #4
i really thought this avernum 4 would BE avernum 4 not geneforge 4 why did they bother to change the name? i really liked Avernum because it WAS avernum :mad:
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #5
Well, what is wrong with it exactly?

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #6
I must admit the feeling's not the same...
But let's play more and how it works !

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Discworld, The Colour of Magic
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
Mixed feelings.

The moment I touched the arrow-keys and started moving around, a surge of relief rushed through me: Its turned based!!! However, What I didn't like was that the view didn't shift automatically with your party, but I think I saw a function to let it shift with the party somewhere?

However, i must say it still disturbs me that there are different graphics. i also thought Jeff said that the shaper and guardian graphics were just something that would be changed later, but I'm now definetely walkign around with a shaper and guardian in my party. Apart from that, i simply don't like the graphics. For me Avernum lost a piece of its charme, and I think that's a pity. I also find it strange that nobody can die, but is just unconscious. off all things I have seen, how more unrealistic can you get!?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #8
One of the prefs lets you turn on an autoscroll to move with your party.
As for characters not dying...well, it works better for me this way, anyway. It used to be that whenever one of my characters died I'd just reload; I don't do that any longer. It's more fun! ;)

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:

Mixed feelings.

The moment I touched the arrow-keys and started moving around, a surge of relief rushed through me: Its turned based!!! However, What I didn't like was that the view didn't shift automatically with your party, but I think I saw a function to let it shift with the party somewhere?

The arrow key support seems tacked on. If you're using the arrow keys, the camera should scroll with you. (Doesn't make a difference for me though, I use the mouse.)

quote:

However, i must say it still disturbs me that there are different graphics. i also thought Jeff said that the shaper and guardian graphics were just something that would be changed later, but I'm now definetely walkign around with a shaper and guardian in my party. Apart from that, i simply don't like the graphics. For me Avernum lost a piece of its charme, and I think that's a pity.

I don't see why people care so much. If they don't want shapers in their party, they don't have to use them.

quote:

I also find it strange that nobody can die, but is just unconscious. off all things I have seen, how more unrealistic can you get!?
"Of all the things"...you don't see anything unrealistic about wizards, dragons, and shooting fire?

And anyway, its better than the old system. Why was it that your party could come back from the dead, but major villains couldn't?
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #10
So the conga dancers from previous avernum are now gone?
And now there isn't outdoors right? But people can camp somewhere?
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #11
My only gripe about the leftover shaper graphic is that it was never cleaned up to actually look like the character it represents. Shouldn't those robes be another colour?

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5604
Profile #12
What I want to know is what happened to the funny cartoon drawings of the stats. I always liked them. One thing I love is not having to click examine then click on the box or something. Now opening boxes are just a click away!

Only two types of graphics of Nephil and Sliths? My party is only made up of them. The ginger Nephil drawing I like but the walking picture thing- A Cat Agent? Huh? :confused:

I like the Sliths ones though, there way better than the previous. But the Humans? The first red guy with a goatee looks like a big fat blue guy with a round helmet!

[ Wednesday, December 14, 2005 00:01: Message edited by: Nephil Archer ]
Apprentice
Member # 6547
Profile #13
------------------------------------------------------------------------
origninally writen by Deliciuos Vlish:
Well, what is wrong with it exactly?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The graphics. The appearance. they're SHAPERS and GUARDIANS not humans. i dont get ir, WHY did they use Geneforge appearance? i liked Avernum interfaces/characters/skins etc. alot better
And btw, i have Windows, and didn't played it yet. So there are outdoors or it's like in Geneforge with zones? If it its, true Avernum has been desecrated, defiled and destroyed :(

[ Wednesday, December 14, 2005 03:23: Message edited by: Berserkas ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Berserkas:

So there are outdoors or it's like in Geneforge with zones?
It's not quite either, but closer to Avernum than to Geneforge.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #15
I don't really miss the cartoons, but I think there are too many unedited Geneforge graphics (like Roamer as a "hellhound"!). It gives a kind of "recycled" feeling and hurts the atmosphere. I don't want to use shaper, guardian or agent graphics. More character graphics please!

In my opinion, Geneforge graphics are nicer than the old Avernum graphics, but there could have been more new graphics.

The autosave is sometimes useful but more often annoys me, because it slows the game. It would be nice to have an option to switch it off.

What I miss the most are secret doors.
Apprentice
Member # 6539
Profile Homepage #16
graphics have been recycled since exile. the only difference now is that jeff has two successful rpgs so we have people going "oh these are geneforge gfx tainting our beloved avernum." granted, if i personally were designing a game i wouldnt be so blantant, but the game is fun and the engine is awesome! so who can complain about graphics which have never ever been the selling point of spiderweb games.

after playing it for a bit last night it definately feels like avernum. i like how outdoors/town mode are one in the same, but i didnt at first. it makes the game much much more fun to explore all the outdoors as if it were a town.

i think dialogue has improved. in fact, steadily the NPCs have become more realistic.

[Edit: Spoiler removed due to implied regret.]

[ Wednesday, December 14, 2005 14:31: Message edited by: Du tak ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
Please don't post spoilers without warnings. In fact, a "First Impressions" thread isn't the place for spoilers at all.

—Alorael, who didn't mind the graphics at all. Geneforge is prettier, but he didn't play enough for the graphics to feel recycled. If you don't like the shaper and guardian graphics, choose different characters. The only real problem was the chitrachs, which aren't green anymore and don't resemble praying mantises.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5622
Profile #18
I had soooo much trouble moving around! It's kinda jerky. It would have been better if the movment was smooth like avernum 2.
still, fun, though

--------------------
Geckos will rule the world by my side! We shall use the power of fluffy pink toys to bend the world to our will! Join me!- well maybe just let me get my allowence from my mom first......
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #19
The graphics may have not received much praise, but I actually like Exile and Geneforge graphics, and in any case I think they are an important part of the game. Avernum and Geneforge are two different worlds, that's why seeing the poor roamer-hellhound makes me sad.

Fortunately, many of the graphics come from Avernum and very few are very disturbing cross-breeds.

But anyway, the graphics aren't the whole game. I like the story development so far (which isn't very far), and the new spells are interesting.
Apprentice
Member # 6539
Profile Homepage #20
wow! my head was completely misplaced. sorry for posting that spoiler. i wasnt thinking.

andrew, who apologizes greatly to the man who always reflects on his own comments at the signature of every one of his posts :P
Apprentice
Member # 5622
Profile #21
I can't stand the new graphics either. My favorite part of the Avernum games was the art style, and I hated the Genforge games for their art. It trys so hard to look realalistic it looks just plain dumb. I'd rather replay Avernum 2,(for the 4th, or 5th time) actually, I think I will. :mad: :confused:

--------------------
Geckos will rule the world by my side! We shall use the power of fluffy pink toys to bend the world to our will! Join me!- well maybe just let me get my allowence from my mom first......
Apprentice
Member # 2312
Profile #22
My points of likes and dislikes are:

Like 1: infinite arrows
Like 2: no need of lockpick to pick locks
Like 3: area effect spells back to track
Like 4: characters switch places more freely

Dislike 1: Character graphics became fewer
Dislike 2: It doesn't run smoothly on my iBook
Dislike 3: Combat, end combat, and attack have no shortcut key
Dislike 4: Automatic start combat sometimes hazardous
Dislike 5: doesn't show how "Divinely touched" works

It might be easier to play, if I can pick up targets with abcd keys.
Also, I'd like those missing character graphics as well.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #23
Divinely Touched gives you Blademaster, Sharpshooter, and Magery as skills that will grow in level as you grow.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
To start and stop combat, press F. Attacking has never had a shortcut key, has it? You just, um, walk into things or click on them.

[ Wednesday, December 14, 2005 13:21: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages