Nociduas (spoilers)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Nociduas (spoilers)
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
Nociduas is a tough cookie on Torment: his ice rays are nasty, he has more hit points than the Nimitz, he drinks healing potions, and his demon spawn thing is also very tough.

But he is quite vulnerable to Terror, even from a wand. The weird thing is his reaction to terror: instead of running away, he stays put, and chugs at least six speed potions each round. He manages one nasty ice ray per round too, despite his terror; but just the one. With all that speed, you're expecting to get blasted with four attacks the next round; but terrified Nociduas just uses all his extra speed to drink more speed.

With Augmentation and Enduring Armor from the nearby birdbath, even wimpy characters can survive one hit from his ice ray, and so you can keep grinding him down.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Only ever speed potions? He doesn't drink healing potions, which would at least be remotely sensible? Wow. I guess Jeff's claims about writing AI code in 5 minutes whilst drunk just might be true. I also guess this means that I might have found the game easier if I hadn't gone through the whole thing without casting Terror once.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 6591
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Nociduas is a tough cookie on Torment: his ice rays are nasty, he has more hit points than the Nimitz, he drinks healing potions, and his demon spawn thing is also very tough.

But he is quite vulnerable to Terror, even from a wand. The weird thing is his reaction to terror: instead of running away, he stays put, and chugs at least six speed potions each round. He manages one nasty ice ray per round too, despite his terror; but just the one. With all that speed, you're expecting to get blasted with four attacks the next round; but terrified Nociduas just uses all his extra speed to drink more speed.

With Augmentation and Enduring Armor from the nearby birdbath, even wimpy characters can survive one hit from his ice ray, and so you can keep grinding him down.

While he was casting, I tried to completely fill the room with my own summoned creatures so his demon wouldn't appear.

It didn't work, but I think that might've just been a result of poor placement of my characters.

I ended up defeating him in a straight up fight, so I didn't get to carry out my experiment past the second try.
Apprentice
Member # 6177
Profile #3
Actually, I saw him chug 6 speed potions per round without casting terror on him. It was the strangest thing I've ever seen. Made him a heck of a lot easier to fight though.
I will say that the AI in A4 is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. If an enemy sees one of your characters far away, it runs towards them until it runs out of movement points, usually stopping right next to my fighters so they get a round of free hits before it gets to move again. (considering it's inability to work together or make even moderately intelligent choices, I'd believe he wrote it in 5 minutes while drunk)
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #4
He's not easy, it just took me about ten trys on a regular four-party playthrough.

I finally won when for some reason he went into the altar room at the side (I had opened the door) and got blocked in there by some shades I summoned, leaving me clearer to fight the demon.

You have to be careful with summoning though, because he fires out a lot of charm spells. For this reason, keep your priest well back, because if she/he gets charmed, it's all over.

It's not a bad idea to send out one character exploring and pick up the *item* on his body/coffin in the corner - it's useful during the fight to stay alive.

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
Honestly, I cannot stress this enough... keep him Dazed, and he'll never get to summon the demon. I've replicated this experiment several times, and it works. Just make sure he's dazed before his turn in combat comes around (haste your mage to give yourself another chance in case he resists). Of course, this worked best with a party of two mages and two priests...

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Duality:

I will say that the AI in A4 is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. If an enemy sees one of your characters far away, it runs towards them until it runs out of movement points, usually stopping right next to my fighters so they get a round of free hits before it gets to move again. (considering it's inability to work together or make even moderately intelligent choices, I'd believe he wrote it in 5 minutes while drunk)
The melee creations in Geneforge behave the same way. So maybe the AI was just copied from Geneforge.

Dikiyoba.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #7
AAaaaahAHhhh!

Shikeys but this guy is tough. Wow. Even on Easy, he seems a bit much for my singleton to handle. The demon is pretty much irrelevant. I suppose I could just shell out the cash for Heal, and cast that and shoot my bow every turn, and use some very large number of energy potions... but jeez. There's gotta be a better way.

Synergy, any thoughts?

I think I'm just gonna have to wait for a second +AP item, and come back once I've gotten that significant power boost.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #8
Yeah, you could walk past Noci, pick up what you came there for, and leave. That is, unless you really need the 65 XP you'll get from killing him and his pet.

Refreshing myself on my own game. Here's what I did:

"I got the Emerald Chestguard successfully. I did it two ways. The first is so stupidly easy, I am quite sure Jeff forgot to make it necessary to get through Nociduas to get at the armor, instead of just sneaking by him. I also tried taking him and his pet demon off the map, and succeeded on my second or third attempt, but it took 8 Invulnerabilty Potions to do it, which is rather ridiculous."

Daze and Slow are often helpful in these situations, if you have enough magical power to make Daze work against Noci. I saeem to recall mine wasn't working so well against him. Someone here said Terror works well on him, but I never tried that myself. There's no way as a singleton to do enough in time to stop Noci from summoning the demon. Seems like lots of Energy Potions and Invulnerability potions is the only reliable way to work it, and it's just a long, tedious, expensive...and unnecessary battle.

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
Hmm... he doesn't drop anything?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #10
Not what you came there for. It's on a body in back. I don't remember him dropping anything too exciting, and I don't remember now what it is. Maybe someone else can say. I don't have any save games in that vicinity.

[ Wednesday, January 04, 2006 23:09: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #11
I locked him in his bedroom then killed the demon. :)

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #12
'Nociduas! No thank you! Go to your room until you're ready to come out and say you're sorry for creating undead monstrosities!'

Only problem is that I think Nociduas has now been eliminated, so you can't come a dozen levels later, open the door, and blast him. At least that's how it was when you tried this trick on Sharon's Battle Gamma in G2.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 4204
Profile #13
Incidently, where is the Emerald Chestguard located? I was originally under the impression that I'd find it in the dark slith lands, but I've not encountered it yet.

--------------------
What really went on there, we only have this excerpt...
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
There are two areas full of dark sliths. The one where you find the Emerald Chestguard is west of Fort Dranlon. Look for a secret passage in the far northwest of that area. Don't go in unless you're well-prepared.

Note that you need to talk to Ariadne in Fort Dranlon before you can find the secret passage.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #15
I managed to kill Nociduas on my second try before he summoned the demon. I don't really remember what I did to him, but it worked pretty well. :P

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00