what does A4 offer us?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: what does A4 offer us?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Two pipe solo:

Alorael, who isn't so sure about ZKR's canon status. Fort Cavalier and those sliths aren't mentioned anywhere else
True, but the Second Slith War is definitely mentioned in A4. At least that part is fairly certain.

[ Monday, December 26, 2005 23:57: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

We still haven't accounted for the Vlish population. What happened to them in Avernum?
Sea monsters.

Yeah. Squid like creatures. You get a couple of chances to read a brief description.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #27
But what about the minotaurs? What happened to them?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #28
Unfortunately, the second Slith War turned out to be nothing more than a small skirmish. Could have had potential, but apparently not.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:

Alorael, who isn't so sure about ZKR's canon status. Fort Cavalier and those sliths aren't mentioned anywhere else
True, but the Second Slith War is definitely mentioned in A4. At least that part is fairly certain.

I'm not sure if you're acknowledging this or not, but the ZKR is definitely mentioned by name:

quote:
z127silvardlg.txt
The second slith war?
"It was a small one, but nasty, not too long after Empress Prazac let the Avernites back onto the surface. I helped ferry supplies down the Za-Khazi Run, after some other adventurers cleared it out."

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #30
Oh, yes. I forgot about that. ZKR is definitely canon, even if it is a little hard to figure out how. Is there any way of knowing where Fort Goodling or Fort Cavalier are?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #31
I wouldn't be suprised if Jeff did unite Geneforge and Exile/Avernum, a little pissed, but not suprised.

As to A4: correct me if somebody else has beatenthe game already, but i don't think in the end it will be the Vanthai who are the enemy, but somethign is controling the vantahi or is something else. And, I think the game is what the Geneforge engleine should have been: turn based 3D, not partial real-time, partial turnbased. Also, stop ragging on teh game because you don't like it. A4 will attract a new audience, thoose who want the ridculous 3D graphics and a bad plot.

as to Dikiyoba's Theory: Slith couldn't have been creationof the Vantahi, because they camefrom a diffrent world entirley, and were banished there, making them the only real aliens in the game. If you ever got to the one place, Old something in A/E or E2/A2, i forgot which one, then you'll get it.

Jeff should write a companion book to the games and sell it, just to confirm waht's canon and what's not.

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #32
Originally by Takeru Takashi:

quote:
as to Dikiyoba's Theory: Slith couldn't have been creationof the Vantahi, because they camefrom a diffrent world entirley, and were banished there, making them the only real aliens in the game. If you ever got to the one place, Old something in A/E or E2/A2, i forgot which one, then you'll get it.
It must have been E1/A1, since I've played A2. Try Bahssikava for BoA. The whole scenario is Slith history. As for my "theory," it wasn't intended to be serious. Seriously.

Dikiyoba
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #33
Every new game and every change to the basic Spidweb engine(s) brings with it a load of complaints. That's a pattern you'll find everywhere else in the world, too; and change is usually good despite the complaints. But I guess things are a little different here since Spidweb's earliest successes were no-frills products founded on old-fashioned gameplay and interesting stories, and spurning fancy graphics. Exile vs. Realmz seemed to many like David vs. Goliath, but Exile got a lot of support from that conflict, especially as it grew more refined.

quote:
Slith couldn't have been creationof the Vantahi, because they camefrom a diffrent world entirley, and were banished there, making them the only real aliens in the game.
If by different world entirely, you just mean another set of caves, deeper in the earth, and warmer. Certainly that's all that was said in Exile 1 or 2...

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by Takeru Takashi:

correct me if somebody else has beatenthe game already
Um, I can name at least half a dozen people on these boards (including myself) who have finished it already.

quote:
Slith couldn't have been creationof the Vantahi, because they camefrom a diffrent world entirley, and were banished there, making them the only real aliens in the game. If you ever got to the one place, Old something in A/E or E2/A2, i forgot which one, then you'll get it.
I assume you're referring to Lost Bahssikava in A1, one of the few things that wasn't in E1. As Slartucker pointed out, sliths aren't from "another world"; they're from deeper in the caves. I'm pretty sure both sliths in Gnass and sliths in LB say so, but I know that Sss-Bahss in LB says so.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #35
The vahnatai did it!

—Alorael, who supports vahnatai creationism as a good way to spark useless debates.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

I was actually disappointed to see that Avernum 4 is more like Geneforge, since I liked the worlds being distinct.
You know what - I worried about this at first, when hearing the GF enging was going to be used.

But really, the setting is totally Avernum. You don't feel Geneforgey in the least. All the names, the monsters, even the colour scheme. You won't be disappointed.

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #37
Vahnatai creationism?!?!?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #38
It makes more sense than the flat earth theory, and that finds plenty of followers... o_O

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Apprentice
Member # 5620
Profile #39
alright...so, im one of those people who likes the games to be separate. i like geneforge, and i like avernum...but i dont want one unified type of gameplay. whats with the geneforge graphics in the game though? the avernum characters were already cool. and whats up with only having two options for nephilim and the slith? racism...hahaha. j/k.

*what is with barely being able to move during fight mode? it was much better when you at least had some mobility. its worse than geneforge and avernum.
*what is with not having a character editor? yes, its cheating, but it speeds things up, and it was an option that was enjoyed in avernum. everyone knows its kinda cool to have a "god" party.
*i actually liked the separation of towns and the world map, things might not have flowed as well, but the space wasnt so full.
*the availabilty of good armor, weapons, spells...etc, at least in the beginning, is virtually nonexistent.
*it takes forever to replenish health/spell energy (or it doesnt happen at all, i was too involved to check it out for sure) in avernum and even geneforge (cant remember for sure) if you walked around you gradually recharged.
*like everyone has said, the story is a little weak. (ive only played through the demo, but im pretty sure i dont really need to play further)

ok...so there was the bad...here is the really cool and good

*not having to replenish arrows is awesome, and the automatic healing/spell energy walking into the town is cool.
*the flowing map IS cool...even if its kind of a pain at times. the graphics are cool.
*its harder, which is a good thing.

basically...i dont see a need to buy this one.

[ Friday, January 06, 2006 14:42: Message edited by: archangel_14 ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #40
"*what is with barely being able to move during fight mode?"

Huh? In previous games, you could move four squares or move three and attack. In Avernum 4, you can move eight squares or move three and attack. How is that less mobility?

I guess there is the 'slowing' effect, but that's only significantly worse than the free attack your enemies got in previous games if you are significantly stronger than your enemies, in which case, who care.s

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5620
Profile #41
i guess it just seems slower for some reason...lol.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #42
Compare A4 to A1 or A2 and you can see that relatively good gear is available quickly. Only A3 made powerful items trivially easy to obtain from the very beginning.

In Avernum health regenerates slowly in towns and energy does not, but both health and energy regenerate quickly outdoors. In Geneforge, the only way to regenerate is to enter a town. In A4 you regain your health and energy by entering a town or by killing monsters, which turns into health and energy depending on your First Aid skill.

—Alorael, who was able to go indefinitely without visiting towns by midway through the game. First Aid makes long crawls through dungeons a matter of minimal terror.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages