Graphic issues

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Graphic issues
Apprentice
Member # 11451
Profile #0
Hello.

Running OS X (Leopard) on a MacBook Pro. Avernum 4 and Geneforge 4 worked fine until I upgraded to Leopard. Now, when I start either game, I get 4 or 5 multi-colored lines that run horizontal across the screen the whole time. Then, when I quit the game, my Dock icons are all fuzzed out. My computer is fully up-to-date. Is this maybe a compatibility issue with Leopard?

Thanks for any help with this issue.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
There seems to be a compatiblity problem with Leopard and other applications besides the games.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #2
I'm about to post this in its own forum, but I wanted to make sure you saw it.

Avernum 4 and Geneforge 4: Rebellion Graphics Problem With Leopard

When playing Avernum 4 and Geneforge 4: Rebellion on some Intel-based Macs using the Macintosh OS X Leopard, horizontal bands of corrupted pixels will be visible on the screen. This problem has been seen on other applications in Leopard. This thread on the Apple support forums discusses the problem.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5653464

We are looking into the problem and searching for a fix or workaround. Hopefully, the problem will be solved in the next Leopard update. We are working on it in the meantime. Until then, the game appears to be fully playable. We apologize for the problem.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Apprentice
Member # 11451
Profile #3
Thanks for the link. Glad to know it isn't just my computer.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #4
It happens in N:R and BoA too. It appears to be a problem only for Intel apps though. The original Avernum games run fine. In fact, they run better than they have since the 10.4.9 update made them run slowly.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
What happens if you use the older Mac version as the program instead of the universal version?
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #6
The problem appears to be exclusively with the Universal versions on Intel Macs using Leopard. I think I have a way around it, but it'll take some testing and effort. Since to problem doesn't actually affect gameplay, my plan is to wait and see what OS X 10.5.1 brings.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #7
I've done some more looking into this problem on my MacBook Pro, and it turns out that whatever Apple did to Rosetta that enables the older Spidweb games to run at full speed also affected the older PPC only apps in BoA, A4, G4, and N:R. So, you can run the games just fine with the older app instead of the universal binary. It seems sort of backwards, but it works just fine, since it is only the Intel apps that have the weird lines.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

I've done some more looking into this problem on my MacBook Pro, and it turns out that whatever Apple did to Rosetta that enables the older Spidweb games to run at full speed also affected the older PPC only apps in BoA, A4, G4, and N:R. So, you can run the games just fine with the older app instead of the universal binary. It seems sort of backwards, but it works just fine, since it is only the Intel apps that have the weird lines.
Yes, that's what I imagined when I read this thread.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!