noob Mac question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: noob Mac question
Apprentice
Member # 6827
Profile #0
Hey everyone -

Just got my first mac - a macbook pro - and I wanted to try Geneforge or Avernum... I downloaded the demos, but they were saved as Excel documents! Um... how do you install things like this on a Mac? Thanks!

- Raov
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I know this sounds obvious, but you downloaded them from the appropriate side of the page, right? Make sure you download the Mac versions.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6827
Profile #2
Yep, downloaded them off the Mac side. The Avernum 4 demo downloaded as Avernum4.demo.bin, and it says that it is a Microsoft Excel binary document. 20.1 MB. Should it be an executable file?
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #3
You need to use Stuffit Expander to decompress it, I guess. I'm pretty sure you have a copy of it an /Applications; drag the file to Stuffit and you should be fine. If you don't, just google it, since there's a free expander version available.

I hope you enjoy your new MBP!

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Apprentice
Member # 6827
Profile #4
Awesome! That did the trick. Thanks so much for the quick response, guys. You know, it's tricky switching operating systems. I used to be a power user, and now I feel like I'm crawling along...

Luckily, the Mac community seems really nice, and always very helpful. Have a great night!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
What, do PC users seem not helpful or something?

Anyway, I'm glad you switched to Mac. As far as I can see, every new buyer is good for Apple. They need it.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #6
No, what he meant was that since non-mac users didn't help him, as they couldn't, he would thank the ones that did.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #7
The problem here is that some newer Mac web browsers are being released that can't properly handle Macbinary, which has been the default Mac file distribution format for a long time. I have no idea why they would do this.

How are the games running on the Intel-based Mac?

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, The flying Dutchmen:

What, do PC users seem not helpful or something?

Anyway, I'm glad you switched to Mac. As far as I can see, every new buyer is good for Apple. They need it.

Eh, Apple can just release another type of iPod. :P

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
Yes, you're right there. I would think that on intel based Mac it would be the same, only twice faster. What I was wondering, as I heard romours about this, is there still a classic environment with Intel based Macs?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
No.

—Alorael, who still hopes that someone will come up with a decent form of Classic emulation. Maybe Mac-on-Mac will advance the cause.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7163
Profile #11
Goddamn, really im sure you know that Mac is really bad one. Why did you got Mac?Why any windows like 2000 or XP?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #12
No mac vs. PC debate here, please.

Dikiyoba.