Levels Damage in Combat

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Levels Damage in Combat
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #0
... and other mysteries.

What exactly is "levels damage in combat?"

Thrusting Gauntlets:
+2 levels damage in combat.

Other things that I can't figure out:
- Energy resistance. I assume this contributes to defense against Cryoa and Cryodrayk ranged attacks.
- Eyebeast and Gazer ranged attacks. Does your mind resistance protect you from these any more? Or are they just using Kill?
- Being slowed. What kind of effect is this: stun, mind, or is it non-preventable?
- The hand and the X. Two of the status icons that appear over your character. I'd guess that the hand means "slowed" and that the X means "stunned." Furthermore, what's the difference between slowed and stunned?
- Armor. Presumably it reduces damage in general. From all types of attacks and effects? By how much per point? Can't be a per cent, or 100 armor would make you invincible.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 22:23: Message edited by: Nick Ringer ]

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

... and other mysteries.

Thrusting Gauntlets:

Okay, I'll try to explain this by means of an example. If a weapon does, say, 10-40 damage, that's 1-4 times 10. One level of damage for that weapon is 1-4, so +2 levels of damage would add 2-8 extra damage. If another weapon did 15-45 (1-3 times 15), then a level of damage would be 1-3, and +2 levels of damage would add 2-6 instead. In other words, extra levels of damage make you do more damage in melee, but exactly how much extra damage you do depends on what weapon you're using.

quote:
- Energy resistance. I assume this contributes to defense against Cryoa and Cryodrayk ranged attacks.
I think so.

quote:
- Eyebeast and Gazer ranged attacks. Does your mind resistance protect you from these any more? Or are they just using Kill?
Eyebeast attacks are equivalent to Aura of Flames, so what you want is fire resistance. Gazer attacks are equivalent to Kill, so you want energy resistance.

quote:
- Being slowed. What kind of effect is this: stun, mind, or is it non-preventable?
Good question. I don't know if any resistance actually helps, but if any does, I'd bet it'd be mental effect resistance and not stun resistance. I kind of suspect that no resistance helps protect against slowing, though.

quote:
- The hand and the X. Two of the status icons that appear over your character. I'd guess that the hand means "slowed" and that the X means "stunned." Furthermore, what's the difference between slowed and stunned?
Being stunned reduces your AP by a variable amount depending on how stunned you are; being more stunned can make you lose more AP, or make AP loss carry over into the next round. Being slowed halves your AP every second round; being more slowed doesn't make you lose any more AP per round, but you'll lose AP for a longer duration.

quote:
- Armor. Presumably it reduces damage in general. From all types of attacks and effects? By how much per point? Can't be a per cent, or 100 armor would make you invincible.
Armour only reduces damage from physical attacks. It's sort of a percentage, but adding up all the separate percentages on different items of armour is a little misleading. If you're wearing two pieces of armour that each have a 50% protection value, then each piece's protection is applied separately to any attack (so even though the armour value on your status screen would be 100, your damage is actually only reduced by 75%.) What this means is that, for example, having one item that provides 40% protection is a lot better than having eight items that provide 5% protection.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 23:08: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

... and other mysteries.

Thrusting Gauntlets:

Okay, I'll try to explain this by means of an example. If a weapon does, say, 10-40 damage, that's 1-4 times 10. One level of damage for that weapon is 1-4, so +2 levels of damage would add 2-8 extra damage. If another weapon did 15-45 (1-3 times 15), then a level of damage would be 1-3, and +2 levels of damage would add 2-6 instead. In other words, extra levels of damage make you do more damage in melee, but exactly how much extra damage you do depends on what weapon you're using.

quote:
I think so.

Are you sure? Cryoa and Cryodrayk do cold damage, and only cold resistance should work.

About levels of damage, each point of strength or melee give one level of damage in melee, dex or ranged give one in ranged attack, battle magic and spellcraft give one in battle magic.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Hume:

Are you sure? Cryoa and Cryodrayk do cold damage, and only cold resistance should work.
That's true in Geneforge 3, but in Geneforge 1 and 2 there doesn't seem to be any such thing as cold resistance.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
I imagine that it exists, it's just not on the character stat page, just like energy resistance isn't. There is a section where you take "cold" damage, after all.

Dikiyoba.

[ Monday, February 20, 2006 16:36: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Are there actually any items in G1 or G2 that give you cold resistance, though?

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #6
Well I have never heard of cold resistance. And I have played through Geneforge 2. So I guess not.

My best guess is that, until Geneforge 3, there weren't that many attacks that didn't fall into the other categories. So they were just classified as "energy."

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #7
And the magic resistance? What is it?

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
None of the Geneforge games have a resistance called "magic resistance", as far as I can see. Do you mean energy resistance? If so, that protects you from things like Kill spells and radiation areas.

[ Tuesday, February 21, 2006 16:50: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

None of the Geneforge games have a resistance called "magic resistance", as far as I can see. Do you mean energy resistance? If so, that protects you from things like Kill spells and radiation areas.
You are right. Sorry for the mistake. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #10
According to the faq of Matt P, these resistances are hidden but exist in gf1 and gf2. Remember some items give you bonuses like "+10% cold resistance"? Armors give protection against fire, cold, energy as well as physical damage in gf1 and gf2 as in gf3. remeber after you put on a chitin armor, fyoras can seldomly do any harm to you?