Geneforge 3 Futhorc Runes

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge 3 Futhorc Runes
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #25
Thanks for the advice. I'm glad to hear their fantasy output is better than their SF. Still, that wouldn't be too difficult, would it? :P But I may try to give the first 3 Dragonlance books a try when I finish with Salvatore's Cleric Quintet.

I mainly read fantasy books in bed before I go to sleep, to ration it to a chapter a night or so because his books are so good. I'm determined to make them all really last. It takes about one month to read one of his novels, so it'll be a while before I get a chance for Dragonlance.

Is there any connection between the Forgotten Realms world and the Dragonlance one? They seem to have advertisements for the latter in all the former books, though it may just be because they're from the same publisher.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #26
Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms, as far as I know, are completely different worlds. Within the realm of rules and such, they both also had slightly altered rules from the main AD&D system.

I've never read any Forgotten Realms book except the self titled first one written by Douglas Niles way back in the late 80's. My only knowledge of that world comes from the Black Isle games.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Ugh. Salvatore is a bunch of trash.
I am going to cry. People not liking Tolkien I can take, I came close to tears when Robert Jordan was insulted, and now Salvatore, too!? :(
P.S. I was under the impression that this topic was for us to praise Student of Trinity for his briliance, not rate books.

[ Sunday, March 27, 2005 05:09: Message edited by: mark greenwood ]

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #28
quote:
Originally written by mark greenwood:

[QUOTE]Originally written by Drakefyre:
[qb]I was under the impression that this topic was for us to praise Student of Trinity for his briliance, not rate books.

Well, as seems to happen with all topics in this forum, things inevitably tend to get out of hand pretty quickly. I must carry the brunt of the blame in this instance... and, er, in a few others as well... But you can't pin them all on me!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #29
Yeah, hey, where's all my praise? Grrrr. Darn bookreaders.

I tell you, everything went straight downhill after Gutenberg. People who rail against the internet aren't going anywhere near far enough. Until we get right back to runes, scratched into potsherds with our Swiss army knives, I see no hope for this entire civilization.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #30
No kidding!

In fact things got messy even before that Guttenberg fellow. Ever since humanity learned to write it's been a handbasket direct to the deepest sewers of hell. The internet, specially, would be a far better place if the oral traditions of old still remained.

Oh, and Trinity:
IMAGE(http://www.f4g.net/vb/images/smilies/Bow.gif)

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Warrior
Member # 1586
Profile #31
I am a student of the runes also but with regard to this quote:

"BTW I'm now leaning to the theory that the 'geneforeg' spelling is not a misspelling at all, because I think it's quite likely that the 'g' rune is always soft but the 'o' rune is only long if followed by 'e'."

Should not the 'e' follow the 'o' instead of the 'r' to be lengthening the vowel?

As for Jordan, I did not despair until after I had had to read the first 6 books multiple times each. I have limited funds and must purchase most books secondhand, so my aquisition of the series was very piecemeal. I got the first 3 (read 'em), much later got the fourth, fifth, sixth (forcing me to re-read all the prior novels each time). Then I jumped to book 8 and had to wait until I could find book 7 as the storylines were too confusing without it. Later still I got book 9 (AARRGH!). I think I've pretty much Timed out (sic).
I liked most of the other books mentioned (execpt the new Dune novels) but I have been described as insufficiently discriminating. However, while I might read anything once, it is no guarantee that I will ever read it again. I have even read the bible (several times) and the koran (once so far) plus many other religous texts. I once read a dictionary! (I was truly bored on that occasion.) Unfortunatly my rate of reading is over 1500 words/minute so I get through an awful lot of material even with all the time I spend doing other things. I gladly take suggestions if you'd like to message me with a few more.

--------------------
Zarai n'Sharia! Mehkkti an khre shen mahkkti!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #32
You Know, when a topics been dead for six centuries, its interesting to go back and look at what you wrote. I, looking back, have some things to revise. Jordan is not crap, but does get boring after the sixth book. The tenth book has no action, because he put it all in eleven, making it seem rushed. As for Salvatore, he aint great literature, he's just another fantasy writer. Drizzt is a cool charecter though. George R. R. Martin. I started reading his stuff, and like it so far. Unfortunately, I still have yet to find anything that even comes close to Tolkien.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally by IRA Witch Herd: A lot of series that become too popular tend to go rapidly downhill and becomes naught but fodder for the desperate and uncritical reading masses. What distresses me is that such series continue to sell well enough to warrant future vacuous volumes.

Probably a bit young and stupid for you, since you seem to like hardcore fantasy and science fiction, but the best example I can use to demonstrate that statement is Harry Potter. The first three were pretty good, the fourth was fabulous, but the fifth one? Ugg. The sixth one? Pretty much the same. At least we know there can only be seven and the seventh one has to be better because it has the climax of the whole series in it.

Edit: Forgot to credit quote.

Dikiyoba

[ Sunday, December 25, 2005 23:06: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]

Pages