Geneforge 3 Futhorc Runes

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge 3 Futhorc Runes
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
In the GF3 screenshots, the corners of the screen have a mysterious bunch of runes. I have deciphered them: they are Anglo-Saxon 'futhorc' runes, and they spell 'geneforeg' [sic]. The dyslexic ending appears to be there to permit the 'around the corner' palindrome effect. Perhaps this is not just poetic license, though, but rather reflects (a) some feature of runic phonology I don't know or (b) that 'geneforge' is supposed to be pronounced more like 'geneforage'.

Well, there it is.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #1
Good show! I saw those same runes in the screenshots, but figured they were purely decorative so never even considered deciphering them. I'm glad somebody is out there with the good sense and skills to do this sort of public service.

On a similar note, I never would've known that the runes on the Forgotten Realms logo spelt "Here Lie the Lost Lands" if I had not read a FAQ about the book series that I came upon on the internet. I just recently started reading some of these and they're quite good.

Incidentally, I have Jeff Vogel to thank for introducing me to the world of fantasy fiction by hooking me four years ago with Nethergate. I had read Tolkien years and years ago but he seemed rather turgid and too detailed to make for easy, enjoyable reading. (I really like the movies, though.) So, due to the historical content and intriguing storyline of Nethergate, here I am four years later devouring R.A. Salvatore novels and spending an appreciable amount of the daylight hours skulking around software bulletin boards chomping at the bit to play the third game in an SF/Fantasy RPG series... Life's sure a rummy thing, ain't it? You never know what's going to send you off in a new direction of exploration.

[ Friday, March 18, 2005 17:00: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #2
I know this is off topic, but if you were OK with Tolkien, and like Salvatore (Drizzt DoUrden rocks!), I suggest Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Sorry again for getting off topic.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by mark greenwood:

I know this is off topic, but if you were OK with Tolkien, and like Salvatore (Drizzt DoUrden rocks!), I suggest Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Sorry again for getting off topic.
Good God, no! Avoid that cursed series like a plauge, Icshi. I never could get past the unbelivably boring first chapter, but almost everybody I talked to agrees that the series turns into **** after the sixth book or so.

For more information, consult this site, here

If you're looking for quality fantasy, consider the works of Martin . If you can get 3/4th of the way through the first book, you will be hooked.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #4
I've read Salvatore's Dark Elf trilogy, and am just about done with the Icewind Dale trilogy. After that, I'm going to start in on his Cleric Quintet which sounds very interesting indeed. After that, I'll probably read some of the non-Salvatore books in the Forgotten Realms setting.

Funnily enough, I first became aware of Drizzt and his world through the Museum Replicas, Ltd. catalogue which I pour over every time it comes in the mail. I'm mostly interested in the historical pieces, but glance at the fantasy stuff from time to time. In one catalogue there was a Todd Lockwood painting (from the cover of Salvatore's The Lone Drow) and some exquisite sabres named Twinkle and Icingdeath. The description of these items really caught my imagination, coupled with Lockwood's wonderful artwork. So I did some reserach on the internet about Forgotten Realms, Salvatore, and Drizzt Do'Urden in particular. Homeland seemed to be the best place to start, so I bought a copy of it as a sampler to see if I liked it. Even halfway through I realized I just had to read the entire trilogy, and now I'm seriously hooked!

I had a roommate in college who started reading Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and would stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning reading it in bed with his night-light on. Since he and I shared a lot of tastes in literature, I think the first book would certainly be worth at least trying. But for a while I'll be fully occupied with Drizzt and Cadderly...

And by the way, nobody needs to apologize for getting off topic other than myself! I started it!

[ Saturday, March 19, 2005 13:56: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #5
I don't want to go on a rant, but I think Jordan has gone downhill in a calamitous way. Take every single time that Wiley E. Coyote had fallen down a cliff, add them together and multiply them times the money (in pennies) inside Fort Knox.

His first five books were neat. The Sixth one was absolutely boring and meandered through pointlessness like an expert for about 900 pages, until in the last 100 or so it threw a little action to cover the insane stillness from the previous 900. Or so.

Book seven and eight ignored, in many ways, what had happened in the previous six, began completely new threads, stopping or simply """improving""" previous arcs by adding unnecessary complications.

Book eight did little to quell the messes done in seven.

Book nine I couldn't read until I saw how it made a friend of mine, a grown man, cry in desperation and total, complete, sadness at seeing how a potential great series had been raped.

The series suffers of: "Hey people love my stuff, I'm just gonna keep writing more and more and more and more and more and more and never ever ever ever reach any kind of resolution for anything. And, IF by any weird chance I do reach a resolution to an arc, I'll make sure it is completely worthless and will just start another arc right there to keep my faithful servants and salves keep on making me rich." Maniacal laugh in high decibels then ensues. Sensoround! Digital extreme system! Holographic too!

No one has any clue when this series will ever come to an end. At this rate, it will have to be continued by some other author since, to be sure, Jordan won't finish it in his lifetime, unless he hires a cleaning team and they tie every single crazy arc into a neat package in a book or two.

Bah.

I, too, spent three or four days, doing nothing but reading the first six books in a row. I slept and kind of ate during that time (only the lack of acceptable diapers forced me to go to the bathroom)

It was a big dissapointment. It turned a flower lover hippie into a sad, sad cynic.

Icshi and anybody: Not telling you not to read it (what do I know, in the end) but wait until you are old and have retired, maybe by that time the series will be over. Or, if you're old and retired already, wait until you're older and have a desease that doesn't let you leave your house. Maybe by that time the series will be over.

Anyway. This is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #6
Valuable advice there, thanks for sharing the warning. A lot of series that become too popular tend to go rapidly downhill and becomes naught but fodder for the desperate and uncritical reading masses. What distresses me is that such series continue to sell well enough to warrant future vacuous volumes.

I saw a part of an interview with Jordan several years ago, and one of the questions was "If you had to write the last scene in the series now, could you do it?" And he said "Absolutely. I know exactly where this series is headed, and I have the grand conclusion all worked out." (Or words to that effect.) It would seem that during the intervening years the money-grubbing hack beast in him has risen to the surface to spew forth reams of paper waste upon the Face of the Earth.

I don't know if I'm willing to get all excited by the first six books only to have my hopes crushed. A series without a conclusion is like a mouth with no teeth or tongue, or a refrigerator with no shelves.

Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson have gone on a similar spewfest with their series of Dune books. Their first prequel trilogy was interesting but seriously lacked the thoughtfulness and depth of Frank's books. (Although, come to think of it, Frank's last two books in the series were unbelievably bad, so I guess his own lycanthropic tendencies rose to the fore as well in later years.) Then Brian & Kevin wrote the Jihad trilogy... and now they're going to write a two-book conclusion to the whole series... then they're going to write yet another prequel trilogy about Paul's childhood. And to fill in the cracks they're publishing chapbooks and fat short-story collections with tokenistic amounts of Frank's deleted chapters and grocery lists to lend their endeavours a veneer of legitimacy.

Asimov and Heinlein became similarly copious and self-indulgent. Interestingly, van Vogt somehow escaped doing this himself. I guess he never achieved the enormous level of popularity that the others did, which in a way I guess was a good thing.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
If you read the existing ten books of the series all in a row together, it doesn't start to slow until the eighth book, and only the tenth is really abysmal.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #8
No kidding. Even with Frank Herbert's book I got tired after the third. They seem to stretch on forever about little reason to do so. I didn't even bother to read the stuff written by B. Herbert and Anderson. In general, I don't find Anderson that good a writer (actually, I've always thought about him as, at best, a decent collaborator, at worst a hack. I've seen little stuff by him that is truly original, mostly I see him him working in other people's universes. But, there seems to be a market for spin offs out there.)

Though I loved the first books in Asimov's Robot and Foundation series, I didn't care for his latter ones.

The Sword series by Saberhagen weren't bad, but I guess that also deteriorated. Moorcock with his Elric? I only read the first, what do you guys think? I stopped reading Eddings after the Malloreon series, has the rest of his stuff been any good?

I think Zelazny kept pretty true to himself. I like all the Amber books. The second series is different from the first so it didn't seem repetitive.

There's a great series going on right now by George R. R. Martin, the "Song of Fire and Ice." There are three books out and the fourth will come out. . . someday (it's been four years!)

I think that's one of the best fantasy series I've ever read, what do you guys think?

Raymond Feist is also pretty constant with the quality of his output. His worst stuff is readable and his best is very engrossing. He has kept the same style throughout his career, and even the Krondor trilogy which wasn't as hugely epic as others was a lot of fun, I think.

There's this cool series that began a couple of years ago, "The Vampire Earth" by E. E. Knight. It offers a different take on Vampires, which I think is nice. It takes place in a post-apocalytic world, and many times while I read it I felt like I was in "Fallout." If you like that kind of adventures, I recommend it. You may find a copy in a used book store, if you don't want to risk spending the money for a new copy.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
I loved the Foundation series, personally.

The best fantasy series IMO is the completed trilogy by Elizabeth Haydon, called Rhapsody or something like that.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #10
quote:

There's a great series going on right now by George R. R. Martin, the "Song of Fire and Ice." There are three books out and the fourth will come out. . . someday (it's been four years!)

I think that's one of the best fantasy series I've ever read, what do you guys think?

Hurray! I had hoped I wasn't the only Martin reader on this board.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Apprentice
Member # 5457
Profile #11
I'm rather surprised no-one's mentioned the Dragonlance series. Suffice to say, they're excellent. Plus they're written by an endless parade of authors, so you can choose your prefered writing style.
Apprentice
Member # 5590
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Ijuuin Enzan:

I'm rather surprised no-one's mentioned the Dragonlance series. Suffice to say, they're excellent. Plus they're written by an endless parade of authors, so you can choose your prefered writing style.
i am also surprised that none of us have written about that to I'm really in to the regiment of Kang series right now draconian's rule go dark queen she will conquer the world HAHAHAHAHA

go dark queen

EDIT: is there a third regiment of kang book other then draconian measures ? cause i read the doom brigade and the draconian measures is there another one ?

[ Monday, March 21, 2005 08:39: Message edited by: king of hawks ]

--------------------
i am hawk king

copyright copyright copyright haha
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
I found Dragonlance really to start sucking after about the eighth Weis and Hickman book. From Dragons of Autumn Twilight all the way through Dragons of Summer Flame, I thought it was the greatest piece of fantasy ever written, and then they came out with that War of Souls garbage, and I decided I probably wasn't going to read any more Dragonlance.

I don't know what happened, but the War of Souls trilogy just struck me as idiotic. The characters were horrible, the plot was far-fetched, the writing was bloated, and resurrecting Tas yet again just struck me as wrong.

But Legends is probably my favorite fantasy trilogy I've ever read.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #14
I'm familiar with the existence of the Dragonlance series, but having read (correction: tried to read) a couple of SF books by Weis & Hickman I wasn't sure if I was willing to risk it. Besides, I haven't a clue where to start. There are so many Dragonlance books out there now, I'm not sure where it actually began (and, of course, I don't think they're all written by Weis & Hickman). Then again, like with Salvatore's books about Drizzt, it's better to read the Dark Elf trilogy (which he wrote second) before the Icewind Dale one (which he wrote first). Any recommendations as to which Dragonlance book / series to read first?

[ Monday, March 21, 2005 11:25: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #15
I thought the same as Icshi. I thought that they were just fancy decorations that Jeff put in.

How did you come up with the idea to decipher them? Did you just think of it, or did you know faintly that they meant something Geneforge related?

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
Ugh. Salvatore is a bunch of trash.

--------------------
====
====
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #17
Amid the fascinating but vaguely discouraging discussion which my arcane rune topic has generated, concerning fantasy series that are way too long for me to start reading these days, one response from Toenail about runes cheers me up again.

When I first read Tolkien I got into runes because they were all over the edition I had, and while I never did memorize any alphabets, I was still able to recognize that the squiggles in the corners of the GF3 screen looked like actual runes and not arbitrary squiggles. Then I noticed that some of them repeated, as is likely in real words, so I Googled 'runic alphabets' and just scrolled down until I found the one that had all the same symbols.

BTW I'm now leaning to the theory that the 'geneforeg' spelling is not a misspelling at all, because I think it's quite likely that the 'g' rune is always soft but the 'o' rune is only long if followed by 'e'.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #18
Which screenshot has these runes, anyways?

--------------------

Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Amid the fascinating but vaguely discouraging discussion which my arcane rune topic has generated, concerning fantasy series that are way too long for me to start reading these days, one response from Toenail about runes cheers me up again.
My apologies for getting us off topic. The runes just led me from one flow of thought to the next, and I never intended it all to get out of hand like this. Still, that's no excuse. Sorry!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #20
No need to apologize, Icshi. I'd have been more than happy to join in if I had more time for reading now, and I'm still at least a bit happy to see other people's opinions about these series of big fat books.

--------------------
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #21
Moving to Geneforge 3 forum to encourage discussion.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #22
seriously Trinity, which screenshot is it? please provide linkness, yummy linkness.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
All of them. Look down and to the left of the lower-leftmost button.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #24
Hi. Going a little off-topic to respond to Icshi's question aboutin which order to read [i]Dragonlance/i]:

Begin with the Dragons trilogy: /Dragons of Autumn Twilight/Dragons of Winter Night/Dragons of Spring Dawning.

(those were the first written and rather wonderful, at least from my residual memory as a teenager)

Then, you can read the Twins Trilogy: Time of the Twins/ War of the Twins/Test of the Twins

These three are. . . brilliant. You shouldn't skip the first three since they introduce the band, including the twins.

I hated Hickman and Weiss (well, mostly Weiss) SF. Don't judge them through those books.

Finally, if you enjoy those books, you may want to give it a try to a couple of other trilogies they wrote:

Darksword. I loved this as a kid, but I don't know if I would now. I remember little (except being very excited when they came up with the "Darksword Adventures" which were RP rules, if I remember correctly)

There's another trilogy whose name I forget but it had an arabian flavor.

Anyway, hope that helps, and sorry about the off-topic.

--------------------
quote:

Pages