Overcoming GF3 Graphics to Play

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Overcoming GF3 Graphics to Play
Apprentice
Member # 6079
Profile #0
I am a casual gamer and only have one or two games on my PC. I have chosen RPGs over other types of PC games. I am currently playing Gothic 2.

I read that GF3 has tremendous depth once the graphics are overlooked. I have tried GF2 but could not feel alive in the game.

I need advice as how to maintain interest in GF3 when I compare the immersive graphical world of Gothic 2.

What characteristics or moment that keeps a dedicated GF player?
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #1
I don't really know what to say to that. I imagine perhaps most of the people who like these games just have personalities where highly detailed graphics aren't as important to enjoying a game to them.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Spiderweb games are good because of their gameplay. The stat-building, the gradual character development over the course of a large game, and the slow ramping up of challenge are among the main reasons why people like them.

Plot comes second. Some Spiderweb games have fairly compelling plots (and I think GF3 is pretty far down there on the list, but some will disagree with me).

If you want fancy graphics and music, you might want to try something else. If you want gameplay and plot, Spiderweb's games are for you.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 26
Profile #3
Here's a tip. Turn off all sounds and plug in the Lord of the Rings score.

--------------------
Not a signature
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #4
Good imagination. :)

More seriously, most of the people who enjoy these games do so because of their stories and gameplay, the ability to affect the world by your actions and the feeling of accomplishment when you complete the game.

If you think that games have to have top graphics, thing of Geneforge as a book, rather than a game. It's a book where you get a chance to choose what is going to happen and all of your choices have consequences. I haven't seen any other game in which your actions and even words have such a strong effect on everything that happens later and on the eventual global events.

So in summary, if you think of games as books, rather than movies, you can just ignore the graphics provided by the game and replace them with your imagination.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Apprentice
Member # 6079
Profile #5
Thank you all for replying to this post. I like the book vs movie idea.

Which Spiderweb game is the best to capture my Role playing interest into a story? I want to feel like its me in the story.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Blades of Exile has rather a lot of third-party scenarios made for it, and a few of them have really great plots. The graphics are arguably a step or two down from GF3's, though.

If you want to see a good plot that's Jeff Vogel's own work, you might want to go for either Nethergate or Exile/Avernum 2. (The Exile and Avernum games are almost the same plotwise, but with a different engine, so the choice between Exile and Avernum is a matter of personal preference; try the demos of both).

[ Friday, July 08, 2005 13:49: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
If you want to feel like it's you? Maybe Exile/Avernum 1 or Exile/Avernum 2, but definitely Blades of Exile.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #8
I would also recommend Nethergate, Exile/Avernum 2 or any of the Geneforges. (Start with Geneforge 1 if you want to do the whole series, otherwise start with 2.)

A warning about Blades of Exile: when everybody says how great it is, they are talking about custom made scenarios, which you can't play until you register the game. If you try the free scenario that comes with the demo, you might be disappointed. As for finding good custom scenarios, look at the ratings here: http://pub26.ezboard.com/fthelyceumfrm27

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #9
Well remember in exile/avernum there is only one set storyline and no real plot choices to make like the way geneforge has multiple sides you can join and multiple ways to complete the game. In Nethergate you can play as one of two different groups of people from the start with a different goal in the game.

[ Friday, July 08, 2005 19:37: Message edited by: Walter ]

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #10
In the thread on General, many of us chose Exile over Avernum in part because of the more immersive feel. I think this may be, in my case at least, perhaps because the lack of complicated graphics and things is conducive to the book-view of gameplay.

If playing Exile, though, if you plan to play the whole series don't even look at Exile2-BoE before you play Exile 1. I started out playing E3 and found the lesser interface of its predecessors hard to deal with.

[ Friday, July 08, 2005 19:43: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Apprentice
Member # 6079
Profile #11
Again, thank you all for these responding to my inquiry.

I notice that the Exile/Avernum ges more attention than Geneforge, and to my surprise, Exile is not just an old archive, but has retained a playing style that is preferred by many over the newer Avernum remake. That really surprises me, as the screenshots look like Avernum would be more enjoyable.

I would be curious if anyone has compared the quality of gamplay or immersiveness bewteen the Exile/Avernum series to Ultima 7. I mention this because I have received recommendations to play Ultima 7.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #12
In general, the Exile/Avernum games are of much higher quality than the Ultimas.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00