Box of odds and ends in army camp

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Box of odds and ends in army camp
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
In the main army camp, in the locked room full of contraband in the NE corner, there is a blue shaper box containing junk that seems useless. If you open it all you get is a text box that tells you that.

Is there a quest involving that box? If so, how do you get it?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #1
Doubt it. But speakin gof boxes, what is inside that box in the secret tunnel behind the Generals room, the one that you can only open with extremly high Mech, and if you don't have that high a trap activates and doe slike 2000+ magic damage to you.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Warrior
Member # 3327
Profile #2
The box is empty.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
Checking the scripts shows that it is possible to find a 'woven crystal spool' that will be 'useful to somebody' in that box (the one in the Main Army Camp contraband vault). This appears as a special item, not an inventory item. To get this message and item you need to have flag (50,10) set to 1. You can do that with the cheat code "sdf 50 10 1". But I haven't been able to find anything in any of the scripts (using grep) that sets that flag, or even anything else in the game that mentions that flag at all.

This would seem to be a bug.

[ Wednesday, May 18, 2005 07:21: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3327
Profile #4
Oops - confused this with the other box that required ridiculously high mechanics to open.

The "crystal spool" is used in a quest.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
Okay, so perhaps you can actually answer my question: what quest?

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5767
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

In the main army camp, in the locked room full of contraband in the NE corner, there is a blue shaper box containing junk that seems useless. If you open it all you get is a text box that tells you that.

Is there a quest involving that box? If so, how do you get it?

I think that box might contain a book wanted by the libarian in Donals(sp?) Keep.

--------------------
Death is just an engineering problem.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #7
No, that book is in a jar outside the contraband vault. The contents of the box are as I described in my first post.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5652
Profile #8
So what is the point then with either?

If the woven crystal spool does not do anything, why put it there?

If the trapped box that does 2000 points of magic damage has nopthing in it why have it exist?

--------------------
"Many minds make quick work of uncertainty"
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #9
The super-trapped chest at the northern end of the secret tunnel into Greiner's rooms is just a sort of rotten Easter egg; a Mech of 20 is enough to open it, and it contains some trash.

The contraband blue box in Main Army Camp is completely different. It is a sort of bug, a leftover piece of a quest that was somehow omitted from the game, whether deliberately or by accident. You can only get the 'Woven Crystal Spool' from this box after entering a debug code, and you can (apparently) never do anything with the spool anyway.

At least that is my conclusion at this point. I told Jeff about it. This thread is to ask whether anyone else has actually found the relevant quest.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #10
What the hell is a Woven Crystal Spool anyway? Kinda like a Skein?

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #11
Stupid box I tried opening that multiple times. Now I can stop because there's only garbage in it. I too obtained the Woven Crystal Spool but couldn't do anything with it.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.