Geneforge on the Ermarian Network

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Geneforge on the Ermarian Network
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
As discussed in another topic, the Ermarian Network is expected to expand into Terrestian territory by launching an encyclopedic wiki that will hold information on Geneforge and its world - in essence, the Encyclopedia Terrestia.

We're not yet sure about the domain name.

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 3 user(s) have voted.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=UouiERtvRtTb"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=UouiERtvRtTb"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #1
Terrestia is the less developed of the two Shaper continents. We might not want to get too attached to that name, as the next game might not even take place there. I'm a fan of barred.whatever, myself. Then something simple to call the site, like the Shaper Archives, or the Magus Complex, or something more creative.

[ Monday, January 21, 2008 21:35: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
ET: Do you have a source on that first assertion? I can't find it in my dumps, though at the moment they don't include ending text.

EDIT: Never mind. I found it. It's in the intro text.

...so, ET makes a good point. Terrestia is apparently the smaller part of the world. Most of the names I can think of aside from Encyclopedia Terrestia suck.

...what about "Encyclopedia Sucia"? That would make a lot of sense, actually, since everything the encyclopedia concerns can trace its origins back to Sucia island.

[ Monday, January 21, 2008 22:20: Message edited by: Love Parallelogram ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Love Parallelogram:

ET:

...what about "Encyclopedia Sucia"? That would make a lot of sense, actually, since everything the encyclopedia concerns can trace its origins back to Sucia island.

Second this..
Apprentice
Member # 13037
Profile #4
Sucia Archives?
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #5
Seconding Sucia Archives I'm prefering names that don't have Encyclopedia in it as to differentiate it more from the Encyclopedia Ermariana

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #6
What are those shaper creation/ pig looking, immobile things on a pedestal that direct the facility.

I think I remember the name being pretty lame though, oh well.

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #7
Servant Minds.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #8
You're thinking of the Servant Minds, right?
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #9
Wow, thought it'd be lame. I shouldn't have even mentioned it.

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #10
Right now, the proposed website *is* an encyclopedia, and it *is* modeled after EE, although differing greatly in some respects.

If we don't want it to be an encyclopedia or if we want it to be nothing like EE, than we need to take a giant step back and re-think the project.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #11
I'm sure Milla didn't mean differentiate in that sense. Probably just thinks the name shouldn't sound the same as EE's, and I agree.

It should be something more creative. I like servant minds, but for some reason, Jeff seems to be phasing them out in the games. I like Sucia Archives the best so far. Ah, Sucia, the Jerusalem of the Geneforge world. Plus it would go well with the barred.ermarian.net address.

[ Tuesday, January 22, 2008 19:54: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Love Parallelogram:

Right now, the proposed website *is* an encyclopedia, and it *is* modeled after EE, although differing greatly in some respects.

If we don't want it to be an encyclopedia or if we want it to be nothing like EE, than we need to take a giant step back and re-think the project.

quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I'm sure Milla didn't mean differentiate in that sense. Probably just thinks the name shouldn't sound the same as EE's, and I agree.

It should be something more creative. I like servant minds, but for some reason, Jeff seems to be phasing them out in the games. I like Sucia Archives the best so far. Ah, Sucia, the Jerusalem of the Geneforge world. Plus it would go well with the barred.ermarian.net address.

Yeah ET has the right idea of what I meant. I apologise if it was unclear.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #13
I think I like sucia.ermarian.net and Encyclopedia Sucia or Sucia Archives best of everything suggested so far. I would prefer something that encompasses all the ideas of the series (without resorting to "geneforge", since it's kind of generic), but I'll probably be happy with whatever gets chosen.

Is it too soon to be thinking about a logo? The servant mind might possibly fit in there, since one of their main purposes is to keep track of information.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #14
Why don't you like barred.ermarian.net? I thought that one was clever.

Edit: I take it no one besides me would want to call it The Radiant College? Damn.

[ Tuesday, January 22, 2008 21:23: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
(The following is a vote, not an arbitration. I'm not deciding this, you guys are. ;) )

"barred" is not really descriptive; not even in the loose way that the non-encyclopedic projects on the Ermarian Network are codenamed (Pied Piper Project, The Grand Endeavor...). You could get away with this domain if you called the site the "Barred Archives" or the "Barred Encyclopedia", but neither really sounds like much.

A non-descriptive name is more okay if the name has some "identification" value. PPP is somewhat symbolic and shortened to a snappy TLA. Endeavor is historic. Moving outside Ermarian, "The Louvre" and "The Lyceum" are awesome.

"Sucia" is descriptive, and I can't think of a single name containing that word that doesn't flow off the tongue.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
I found one, Aran. Suciapedia :P

What about "Arcana Sucia" or "The Sucia Arcana"? Arcana are secrets, and the name is a bit of a compromise between the "Encyclopedia" and "Lyceum" styles.

Alternately, "The Codex" or "The Sucia Codex"?

I'm still inclined to go with "Encyclopedia Sucia".

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #17
I liked archives because that term suggests you have to rifle through a lot of crap to find what you want. It's also a word that you would see in the actual games, while words like encyclopedia, codex, and especially arcana seem very unGeneforge. Same with barred. Who cares if it doesn't role off the tongue, it fits with the games!

You guys seem to want to abandon the mood for a more professional setting, and while I see the sense in that, it makes me, as a Geneforge fan, sad.

[ Wednesday, January 23, 2008 08:05: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
Fair enough.

That said, I just did a search, and "archive"(s) does not appear once in any Geneforge game.

What about "The Library of Sucia"?

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #19
I'm voting for the Sucia name, although I also like the barred subdomain (Sucia being a barred island, they go well together).

The actual name - again I agree with whoever said Encyclopedia Sucia sounds a bit too similar to EE. I'd prefer something like The Sucia Isle Archives or The Sucia Isle Scrolls.

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #20
It's surprising that 'archive' isn't in the game texts, because it sounds in character. Neither 'encyclopedia' nor 'library' do. So I agree with ET on this one.

I voted for 'geneforge.ermarian' because it was to the point. But maybe 'barred' is better just because it's more obscure, something that only an aficionado would know. That would be in style with the Ermarian site, I guess, which does not host the Avernum Almanac.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #21
'Library' appears about a zillion times. Also note the new poll.

--------------------