Lankin plot bug?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Lankin plot bug?
Shock Trooper
Member # 2599
Profile #0
I have completely cleared the Island; not a rogue or generator to be found. I go to Lankin with Norrell's proposal that he accept 1 month imprisonment to end the rebellion. I have 10 leadership.

Lankin says that he is tempted, but he cannot accept Norrell's offer, because of the rogues. WHAT ROGUES? There are no rogues left!

This seems like a plot bug to me. No point in having high leadership and getting Norrell's proposal, if Lankin will not be reasonable. And it is not reasonable to reject the offer based on rogues if there are no rogues left.

This is a big disappointment. I played through earlier with lower leadership. This time with high leadership, it looked like there was a peaceful resolution possible for the rebellion. But it does not seem this is the case, though there is no logical reason for Lankin to reject the offer.

What do you think? Should this be reported as a bug to Jeff?
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #1
Hey Mike. I don't know if it's a bug. There are some problems with dialogue choices in the game. One is in that Island with Lankin as you pointed out (I also went to talk to him after clearing the bugs but couldn't do much).

(later on in the game I found a bit of a dialogue bug, if that the correct nomenclature, with Agatha and the Serviles of Stonespire. And there were other dialogue choices I'd like to have seen, but I've forgotten what they were)

However, if you want to send an e-mail to Jeff reporting this, it won't be a bad idea. Worse thing that can happen is that things will remain the same, however, maybe Windows users might get a more complete game.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #2
This could maybe be fixed just by modifying Lankan's lines a bit, to something about how even though the present outburst of rogues has now been suppressed, the incident has made him realize that the Shapers cannot be trusted to uphold their part of the social contract, and that he therefore cannot now go back to the status quo ante rebellum -- or words to that effect. Maybe not quite as big a payoff in plot effect as one would hope for, in return for playing it preux, but if written well it might be satisfying enough in a bittersweet way.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #3
I am very disapointed in G3. In just the demo, there were to many plot bugs, lots of typos, spelling errors, and just plain bugs in general. I am turned off by this. I can't recall an initial release from Jeff that was this bad, and I have been playing these games for a long long time. This worries me as this is very much unlike Jeff.

I am unsure if it is worth it to spend money getting the full version.

I love Spiderweb games. I am a hardcore retro gamer. I love old school RPGs. I am a fanatical devotee to G1 and G2. It sort of bugs me that I am not liking G3 much.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Apprentice
Member # 5667
Profile #4
I did notice quite a few spelling errors, particularly near the start of the game. But the movement this time was around was much better. I remember in GF2 I had lots of problems trying to move about in combat, quite often being told that I couldn't "get there from where you are," for no good reaon. However, these problems were markedly reduced in GF3, in fact there was only one time that happened to me I think. Jeff must have worked on that.

--------------------
Whatever happens, happens.
Apprentice
Member # 2883
Profile Homepage #5
It must make Jeff feel pretty lousy to see all our complaints on the message board, but he does seem to have rushed G3. There are some improvements to play, but a lot of annoying old quirks remain, such as the awkward procedure for saving that reminds of saving back in the days of the Mac Plus. (And if you don't know what a Mac Plus is, you're either too young or a Windows user.) Still, Jeff's work is a hundred times better than that of 99 percent of software game programmers. I would rather wait six years for a Geneforge 4 that reflects what Jeff is capable of, rather than getting another rushed game a year from now.

--------------------
Matt Thorn
School of Manga Production
Kyoto Seika University
Japan
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #6
Wasn't the first version of Exile bad quality?
I didn't see many mistakes in GF3 demo?!
*in defense of Jeff, my fav game producer*

[ Tuesday, April 26, 2005 06:59: Message edited by: JadeWolf ]

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by JadeWolf:

Wasn't the first version of Exile bad quality?
I didn't see many mistakes in GF3 demo?!
*in defense of Jeff, my fav game producer*

I guess you aren't paying attention to spelling and grammar than; also the bugs come later in the game.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 414
Profile Homepage #8
I didn't notice too many spelling errors, but then I sort of glossed over the dialogue in my rush to finish the demo.

I am debating whether or not it's worth buying. With Avernum 1, and 2, it felt like there was alot I was missing out on in the demo that I could get in the full game, whereas here, I'm just not that excited to see the rest of geneforge. I think that part of it is I wish the world design where a bit more creative. Here, it's basically just forests, towns, swamps, all of them a bit generic. With the avernum series, it stood out because of the caves.

I really liked the creator level, with that wonderful use of red lighting. Spooky.

--------------------
An Agent, An Agent Of Doom
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #9
There seems to be mixed feelings about GF3. It has similarities to the earlier games. I am happy I saw the whole game, but mostly because I just wanted to know what was going to happen. When I found out I was not excited.

As far a terrain you will later see more grass, than swampy cold grass, and finally snow. I liked the snow; it's a nice change.

I enjoyed the game enough that I found it to be worth buying, and I'm happy to support SW.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #10
Quite a few people in the game indicate that there are more rogues around than just the ones you meet (and usually kill). Many others are lurking in between the tiles, it seems. So Lankan still has grounds for being worried about rogues even after you have trashed every available one. I agree, though, that this could be spelled out more, and that Lankan ought to at least react a bit to the fact that you have taken out the spawners and minds.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #11
I'll second everything Matt Thorn said.

As for the first version of Exile being bad quality -- HARDLY! Sure, the graphics were primitive in comparison with Geneforge, but game was damn beautifully done. Back in 1994 pretty the only current, well-made Mac RPGs were Realmz and Exile (plus a few odd ports like Might & Magic III). Realmz had glossier graphics, but ran sloppier... Exile had an attention to detail in gameplay, and in general game construction, and balance (not to mention the backstory) which was downright AMAZING for its time.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Well, the very first version of Exile I didn't have AP; you got to take one step every time it was your turn. That was genuinely bad. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Matt Thorn:

It must make Jeff feel pretty lousy to see all our complaints on the message board
He doesn't read these boards except on rare occasions. Feel free to speak without fearing hurting his feelings.

GF3 seemed like exactly the same thing as GF2. I hope GF4 at least has some new things — new spells, creations, something.

And no, the crafting thing doesn't count.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4345
Profile #14
Regardless of your leadership, Lankin will never accept the offer. You just have to either help him outright, or the shapers outright.

--------------------
"Damn Scots. They ruined scotland!"-Groundskeeper Willy, the Simpsons