Genforge 1 Factions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Genforge 1 Factions
Apprentice
Member # 7685
Profile Homepage #0
I wondered if it would be possible to learn what the rewards for joining each of the three factions in Geneforge 1 are, and if joining any specific faction is preferable over joining the others.

IE, will joining the Takers, for instance, affect the story of the game adversely?

[ Wednesday, November 22, 2006 02:04: Message edited by: Nocturne ]

--------------------
“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.”
- Confucius
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #1
When you join a faction, and you should, it will effect the rest of the game, influence your endgame decision, and give you an ending based on the decisions you made. If you want to see all the different endings, you will have to play though a few times. So, make whatever decisions you feel comfortable with, you're gonna have to do it again if you want to see everything anyway.

Edit: No decision you make should prevent you from being able to win. You could go through a game killing everything and still win. Unlike Neverwinter Nights, which I'm playing right now... stupid city... I only killed a few innocent people...

[ Wednesday, November 22, 2006 03:30: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Nocturne:

I wondered if it would be possible to learn what the rewards for joining each of the three factions in Geneforge 1 are, and if joining any specific faction is preferable over joining the others.

IE, will joining the Takers, for instance, affect the story of the game adversely?

Each group will give you keys to certain restricted areas that contain good items and/or info. I just use some living tools to get there, since there's no negative consequences.

If you join a group, you gain the right to get any training or information that group has to offer, and that group's merchants will sell you stuff cheaper. It also determines who your friends and enemies are, what side quests you're given, and what ending you get when you leave the island.

Personally, I don't bother joining any group; it restricts my gameplay too much.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
You don't have to worry much if you don't want to. Faction choice mainly just affects what happens to the different factions after the game ends. What happens to you personally depends more on choices you make quite late in the game.

If you care about the factions and their stories, and want good or bad things to happen to various ones in the end, then choose and fight accordingly. If you don't, you can disregard them, or ruthlessly exploit them, and that in itself won't necessarily lose you anything you care about.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #4
As a quick note, there are several areas of the end-game that seem to be more interesting (ie, they're towns rather than dungeons) if you're a Taker. I'm planning to replay G1 at some point to take advantage of those.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Warrior
Member # 7276
Profile #5
Also, even if you join a faction, you may not be as irrevocably committed to it as you think - i.e., there is probably a way out for you.

Even from the factions' point of view, whether you do what they want is more important than whether you are a card-carrying member, or so I found it.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #6
The walkthrough at this site will give you the information you want. You can join all the factions to milk them for their benefits by doing so one at a time.
Apprentice
Member # 7685
Profile Homepage #7
Thanks for all the answers! These were definitely helpful in quite a few respects. --Thank you, Randomizer, for the link to the Walkthrough.

--------------------
“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.”
- Confucius