Serviles!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Serviles!
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #0
Hello evrybody, Now every Geneforge game I have only wanted 1 thing to create a servile. Now since Geneforge 3 just came out and number is coming does anybody know ANY way at all to make this possible?

XxX
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
I think you can play a servile in GF4, but not shape one. Sorry.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers Meet
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #2
How can you play them?

XxX
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #3
Well still I REALLY REALLY REALLY need to know if there is any way possible to shpa or be serviles and Geneforge 1, 2 or 3?

XxX
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #4
From what I've heard, you can choose a servile for your main character.

EDIT: But it's not possible to shape a servile in any of the Geneforge games.

[ Saturday, October 28, 2006 10:04: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #5
I once asked Jeff if you could create your own serviles, and he said you couldn't.

But there really is a way to do it: Either write your own Geneforge game, or do some massive script editing for the existing ones. You're on your own with that, though.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #6
Actually, you could get a servile in your party in GF2. But you had to be a member of the Awakened.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #7
I kinda already found a VERY crappy way to do it. In the Data folder say you're Clabug pics are numbers 1111 1112 1113 1114 and servile pics are 2224 2225 2226 2227 you just swap numbers but when it not movings looks like servile is servile but when move has some sort of box and switch from it to clawbug.So um how would you go about that massive script editing?

PLEASE help

XxX

Where do you go to find these serviles you can convince

[ Saturday, October 28, 2006 10:21: Message edited by: XxX ]
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
The closest thing you can get to shaping or being a servile in the first three Geneforges is that you can convince two serviles to join you in G2 if you have enough leadership and an Awakened viewpoint. [Edit: Nioca beat me to it.]

And, for future reference, please don't double post. Use the edit button instead.

Dikiyoba.

[ Saturday, October 28, 2006 10:36: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #9
How you do that tell me plz...
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by XxX:

Where do you go to find these serviles you can convince
There's one in the Awakened HQ. I wasn't aware of there being a second one though...

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #11
In Drypeak on in warrens or mines or fields?

[ Saturday, October 28, 2006 10:31: Message edited by: XxX ]
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #12
It's that magic lab at the northeast corner of Drypeak.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #13
quote:

So um how would you go about that massive script editing?
If I knew how to do it, I'd gladly tell you. I've never tried it myself, but it probably can be done, at least in theory.

There's a list of scripts on the main page of this forum, and you can also ask those here who have experience editing scripts.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #14
There's Heust Blade of the misfits in the Takers land, so it's not until the end of the game.

The first servile isn't in Drypeak. He's in the Awakened Complex in Awakened lands past Medab and over the bridge.

Also, not double posting just means that you can't have two posts in a row. A new post after someone else posts a response is fine.

Finally, I don't recommend editing the scripts or graphics unless you really know what you're doing. I hope you saved a backup copy before you started messing with anything.

That said, Dikiyoba might be able to get a servile as a main character in G1. It won't make sense and there will be limitations, but it might be possible.
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #15
How how tell me how might it work?

please tell me

[ Saturday, October 28, 2006 11:33: Message edited by: XxX ]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #16
quote:

How how tell me how might it work?

please tell me

That's one thing you are going to have to figure out yourself. Do some research on how the scripts work, experiment with them, and then try modifying them. We can't help you out with every little thing.

[ Saturday, October 28, 2006 12:14: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
As a hint, I think it would involve going into gf3itemschars.txt and replacing a creature that you can shape with a servile. (That is, swap in servile stats in place of a fyora or a thahd or some other creation.)

The exact details, though, I leave to you, since I haven't actually done it myself.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

As a hint, I think it would involve going into gf3itemschars.txt and replacing a creature that you can shape with a servile. (That is, swap in servile stats in place of a fyora or a thahd or some other creation.)
There's one massive danger with this train of thought. The shapable version of the creation is also used elsewhere in the game. Therefore, if you turn the shapable fyora into a slith, you will eventually run across other 'sliths' elsewhere in the game.

An example? In GF3, I tried to turn the shapable version of the Ornk into a cameo of myself, which could cast Diamond Spray at will. Imagine my surprise when I walked into San Ru and discovered a bunch of 'me' grazing near the back of the town. This would have been bad enough, except that those 'me' creatures were also mooing!

Needless to say, I promptly returned the script to normal, and never again attempted to modify a creature.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #19
Originally by Nioca:

quote:
There's one massive danger with this train of thought. The shapable version of the creation is also used elsewhere in the game. Therefore, if you turn the shapable fyora into a slith, you will eventually run across other 'sliths' elsewhere in the game.
That's why I only know it's possible with the main character in G1. The only other Shaper is Go-whatever, and he has his own creature type, so it's fine.

1. Save a backup copy of the files gforscen and G200

2. Replace G200 with this

3. Find this chunk of text in gforscen:

begindefinecreature 0;
cr_name = "Shaper";
cr_graphic_template = 11;
and replace the 11 with a 14. This replaces all the Shaper graphics with servile ones. Then, find the text that deals with attacking/spells:

cr_abil_num 0 = 0; // punch
cr_abil_level 0 = 1;
cr_abil_pose_for_casting 0 = 2;
cr_abil_step_of_launch 0 = 8;
cr_abil_anim_in_reverse 0 = 1;

cr_abil_num 1 = 3; // firebolt
cr_abil_level 1 = 1;
cr_abil_pose_for_casting 1 = 2;
cr_abil_step_of_launch 1 = 8;
cr_abil_anim_in_reverse 1 = 1;
and so on. It's a long list, and some of the spells with have cr_abil_pose_for_casting 1 = 5; instead of cr_abil_pose_for_casting 1 = 2;. Replace all the 5s with 2s, otherwise when you cast the spell, the game will expect a non-existant graphic and the game will crash.

4. Start a new game as a Shaper. It will look normal on the create character screen, but it will be altered in the game itself.

That's it, I think. Now, for all the limitations.

1. You can't ever equip swords, batons, or wands, because they change the graphics and it just looks weird. Javelins are the only weapons you can equip.

2. You will have all the default abilities and sounds of a Shaper. Which is fine in this case, because you're a servile, but would be weird for other creatures.

3. I have not throughly tested this.

4. This is all I know. If you want anything else, you'll have to figure it out yourself.

5. Spiderweb Software won't provide support or be liable if you mess up your game by doing this. And neither will Dikiyoba.
Warrior
Member # 3357
Profile Homepage #20
Hm, actually, I think it could be possible to change graphics for just your shaped creations.

For example, in the thahd defs we have
quote:
begindefinecreature 20; // pc created thahd
// base for all thahd imports

The other thahds seem to be
quote:
begindefinecreature 21; // friendly thahd
and
quote:
begindefinecreature 22; // hostile thahd

If you copy all of the thahd abilities from 20 over to 21, 22 onwards will read from 21 and you can freely change the graphics etc. for 20, your own shaped thahds.

I'm not sure if that would definitely work (I haven't tried it yet), but I'll give it a go now...
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #21
The comments in those files are not always 100% accurate...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #22
Well before I tell you this I want you to promise you won't spread any rumours... good. So I wanted to tell you that I AM going to build a game using stuff from the Avernum and Geneforge series! Of course in my game you WILL be able to SHAPE AND PLAY AS A SERVILE (Hooray)!

EDIT:For more on Xeon, The Beginning go to my newest poll called Xeon, The Beginning...

XxX

[ Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:13: Message edited by: XxX ]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #23
You do realize, depending on what you do, that this may be totally illegal?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #24
really (answer on xeon the beginning post)

Pages