Most powerful Shaper 'build'

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Most powerful Shaper 'build'
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #0
I'm just curious as to what 'build' Geneforgers consider to be the most powerful build for the Shaper character class. That is, which build rips through opposition the quickest, with the least ease, and with the least risk to your main PC.

Several questions to consider:

- Is a Shaper who specializes in Shaping + Intelligence, and allocates the remaining minority of his skill points to Healing and Blessing, the most powerful build?

- Is there a net gain in power if some intelligence and Shaping is sacrificed for missile specialization?

- Is is worth placing points in Battle Magic? Mental Magic? Spellcraft?

- Is a Dead Weight Shaper preferable to a Shaper which is able to heal and bless his creations during battle?

- Is it worth wearing equipment which detracts from your Shaper's statistics, if the equipment also adds a significant stat/resist bonus to your Creations?

- When investing in Shaping, how should one distribute their points between Battle, Fire, Magic, and Intelligence?

[ Thursday, August 03, 2006 03:25: Message edited by: Waylander ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
It really depends on your play style. Mine is to tend to focus almost purely on shaping/intelligence with extra points thrown into endurance and healing/blessing magic.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #2
Here's where we really miss Slarty, alas. I think DV had some views on a missile Shaper; I believe he found it worked shockingly well.

I've always just gone for enough Magic Shaping points to make the best creation I knew how, and chucked enough points into Blessing and Healing magic to cast my best spells in these areas; and who can live without Unlock? (Actually, doing so is a pain but you can live without it fine, there are so many living tools around.)

Mainly I have simply pumped Intelligence to make as many beasties as possible. When you include stunning the effect of more creations seems to me to be nonlinear.

And in the late game it's hard to think of anything that could possibly boost your power as much as adding another Gazer. Not only are Gazers incredibly deadly ranged attackers: in several replayings of both G2 and G3, I can't remember ever losing one in battle.

The problem with having many creations is that it can become tedious moving them around. Manoeuvring your army in battle is kind of fun, but steering six creations in combat mode through one of those damaging areas is wretched. So I might consider going for fewer creations but buffing them up more.

[ Thursday, August 03, 2006 05:27: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #3
Search for "bullseye shaper"

Missile shapers are suprisingly effective and highly recommended, at least in G3. The other games, not so much. Not having to depend on battle magic allows more essence for buffing.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #4
DV:

I tried your Bullseye Shaper in GF2 (playing as Loyalist, no canister), and he worked quite well. Submission Batons are quite powerful. Stunning is nice

However, Vlish and Glaahks do the same thing. Why should a Shaper specialize in an area which his Creations can do far more effectively and efficiently?

[ Thursday, August 03, 2006 18:17: Message edited by: Waylander ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #5
Tried the game on Torment yet? If not, do that first and then get back to me. It should be rather self explaining why a Shaper should chose to have blistering offensive abilities.

Every shot counts. Having a shaper that can lead his troops in to battle and blow things to cinders is an asset.

It is a lot faster, foes fall quicker, and it is not so boring as it could be just standing around doing nothing. It is like a whole new game and breathes some life and excitement in to the shaper class.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #6
DV:
quote:

Tried the game on Torment yet?

I always play Geneforge on Torment difficulty. I completed GF2 in Torment with a Loyalist, no-canister Bullseye Shaper.

quote:

It should be rather self explaining why a Shaper should chose to have blistering offensive abilities.

A Shaper's offensive abilities are in the form of his creations. You need to spend over 50 skill points to ensure that missile weapons remain effective throughout the game.
IMHO, these points are better spent on increasing creation damage, dexterity and HP's.

quote:

Every shot counts. Having a shaper that can lead his troops in to battle and blow things to cinders is an asset.

1. A Shaper which can heal his super powerful creations is also an asset.

2. Participating in the battle increases the likelihood that you will be targeted (especially when you are fighting enemies who have a ranged attack!)

quote:
It is a lot faster, foes fall quicker, and it is not so boring as it could be just standing around doing nothing.

I bless and heal while in combat. And creating super-creations is exciting. Although I agree that it is also quite fun to rain thorny death on a drakkon.
Although I usually only used Submission thorns, so there wasn't much variety!

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #7
Submissions are okay, but the real fun is Reaper madness.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7099
Profile #8
Yay, i like this topic. I usually play as a shaper. Having more than 5 creations is kind of annoying though. It kind of depends on the situation, either having a couple powerful or many weaker creations. Sometimes i make a battle alpha or a thaud, just for a meat shield. Um, as for equipment. I usually use equipment that increases intelligence and creation stats. Why have equipment that increases stats ona shper that you dont use? In battle i bless and heal almost the whole time. I usually keep around 1/3-1/6 the essence so that i can do that. Else youd be pressing "shift-d=rechargme" constantly. Ok im done now. And long range creations in my opinion are better than melee ones. Opinions anyone?
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
I have to agree with Delicious Vlish in an earlier thread that Vlish (magic creations) are great in the early game for their stun effect. If they can't attack from lack of AP then it doesn't matter what monsters you face. I tried it in GF2 and it's working great.