Different Magic For Each Class

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Different Magic For Each Class
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #0
I would post this in "A Few Advanced Notes On Geneforge 4", but I need a pool. So, what do you think of my idea? I mean, every class (Guardian, Agent, Shaper) has is own magic. Example:

Guardian: Magic that improves sword damage, etc...
Agent: Magic for kill foes, etc...
Shaper: Magic for make creations stronger, etc...

I'm not telling you to eliminate all the old spells, but simply give different spells/kind of magic for each class. Maybe some speels like Heal or Unlock can be given at all classes. Well?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 17 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=tFvFOXVCMEGC"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=tFvFOXVCMEGC"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
I seem to play GF a bit differently than most in the sense that my combat style mixes the classes.

My Agent relies on melee more than magic, but uses magic for tough battles. And, of course, my Agent always has two Drayks with her. This works well for me, and I usually end up stronger than if I made a magic based Agent.

My Shaper is able to fight for her/himself, and is not reliant on the creations, though I always have a small pack following me around. My Shapers primary attack is melee, and magic is secondary. This has also worked very well for me.

So, IMO, I'd like to keep the spells I'm familiar with open to all classes rather than specialized, as it restricts the player to more linier character choices.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #2
Are you saying this should be in Geneforge 4? Because Geneforge 4 will be having different classes! (We could do that with the classes we have there.)

[ Wednesday, May 17, 2006 11:01: Message edited by: Major ]

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Apprentice
Member # 7083
Profile #3
As Miya has alluded to, there's more than one way to use magic with a class. My agents use far more mental magic for crowd control than battle magic for just hurting things. If I'm going to go through that much trouble for an oozing blade, I'm going to use it dammit.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #4
I understand. I do the same things with my Guardian, pimping his magic!

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #5
I support you, MD, but there would have to be some common spells between the classes (heal, daze, bless).

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #6
This would be fairly cool, but we run into trouble with the Agent. The Agents, as has been pointed out, use all spells, not just a specific type. You can't really confine them to a set of spells.

Maybe the Agent could use all spells, and the other classes are restricted to class spells. That way, if someone wants to play a tank Agent with Augmentation and blessing magic, they can.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Miya:

I seem to play GF a bit differently than most in the sense that my combat style mixes the classes.

My Agent relies on melee more than magic, but uses magic for tough battles. And, of course, my Agent always has two Drayks with her. This works well for me, and I usually end up stronger than if I made a magic based Agent.

My Shaper is able to fight for her/himself, and is not reliant on the creations, though I always have a small pack following me around. My Shapers primary attack is melee, and magic is secondary. This has also worked very well for me.

So, IMO, I'd like to keep the spells I'm familiar with open to all classes rather than specialized, as it restricts the player to more linier character choices.

This also seems to be Jeff's favorite style of play, because he is opposed to idea of separate character classes with separate skill sets. Exile had no classes at all. Avernum had "classes" that differed only in the allocation of starting skill points. ("Custom" class could be used to re-create any other "class".) Geneforge has distinct classes, but your agent can still create any creation, your guardian can use any spell and your shaper can train in all combat skills.

[ Wednesday, May 17, 2006 16:19: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
You might have one or two spells that are exclusive to a class. I doubt Jeff would want to do even that much extra work. Most people probably wouldn't use the extra spells unless there was a way to break the game with them.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

I support you, MD, but there would have to be some common spells between the classes (heal, daze, bless).
Thanks. And yes, probably the Healing Craft would be for every class.

quote:
Originally written by Little Billy Sue:

This would be fairly cool, but we run into trouble with the Agent. The Agents, as has been pointed out, use all spells, not just a specific type. You can't really confine them to a set of spells.
That's right. The solution could be a totally rewriting of all spells, but this won't be nice.

--------------------