Avernumscript Editor

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernumscript Editor
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

-Touch up Alint; I'll have to check but I think I might have found a couple of minor things that it incorrectly flags as errors.
Um... well, one thing would obviously be the fact that any function with a capital letter in it isn't recognized as a function. Of course, I'm currently using that little bug as a way to find line numbers.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #26
*bump*
I've posted a beta version, 0.9b, on my utilities page . I know that it runs correctly on my 10.4.8 ppc computer, and seems to work on my brother's 10.3.9 computer, but I would appreciate hearing about any other configurations that it does/doesn't run on. I'm hoping that once any bugs are ironed out and so forth, this version will be superseded by a full 1.0 release in a few weeks.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #27
I've always been unclear on whether URLs are case sensitive, but I guess they must be, because there's a case problem in the link from your utilities page to the script editor.

It works fine on my computer (10.3.9). Looks outstanding. A couple things:

* In the Create Dialog feature, it'd be nice to have multiple boxes so that we could see all six strings at once.

* Create Note seems weirdly named. Create One-Time Message seems more unwieldly but more accurate. Maybe there's a better term for it.

* Word-wrapping is supposed to make the text fit the width of the window, right? It doesn't work when I try it.

My first reaction is that this is a great program. I suppose it could use a little bit of documentation (for newbs who don't get the concept of "New From Template").

[ Sunday, May 06, 2007 11:45: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #28
I'm glad to hear that you like it.
I'm certainly planning to write documentation for the full release. I don't know about showing all six strings at once when creating a dialog; I agree that it would be helpful, I'm just not sure if I can make that fit in a sheet that won't take up the whole screen. I can also see about renaming Create Note, although I was hoping that the tooltip message would make it's purpose clear. Concerning word wrapping: for some reason this doesn't seem to be affecting windows that are already open, but it does affect all windows opened after the setting is changed. I'll try to fix that.

Also, I've fixed the download link.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #29
quote:

I don't know about showing all six strings at once when creating a dialog; I agree that it would be helpful, I'm just not sure if I can make that fit in a sheet that won't take up the whole screen.
BoE does it (which is why I bring it up), although its solution (make the boxes too small, so that you have to scroll) is a little annoying. It probably could be done right if you made the text boxes adequately wide.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #30
I'll try and get around to giving it a look relatively soon. However, my laptop is unstable and I'll have to hit the ground running on training for my summer job as soon as I get home.

Glad to hear it's progressing, though.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #31
It's looking very good. Word wrap works well with me. All the dialogue things work with me, making of scripts according to templates works... So yeah, everything works fine. I'm on OS 10.4.9. Only thing until now that didn't seem to work is the naming of code snippets. I get the option to change the name, but it doesn't remeber what i type. For example:

I want Snippet 1 to be "Custom strings," but when I type that in, it immediatly reverts to "Snippet 1"

I don't know yet if I will be using it instead of textWrangler, as I'm extremely fond of that program. I might be using this program as a last check app, where i check things and correct everything last minute.

*Looks Ascript over again*

I might throw out TextWrangler anyhow, you know... This program has real good stuff in it. It will take some getting used too, though.

[ Tuesday, May 08, 2007 02:21: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #32
I thought I had fixed the problems with renaming snippets, but obviously not, so I'll look into it.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #33
Alint is a useful program which has pointed out most of the errors in the file used to port Exile scenarios into Avernum. It does have a few errors itself though.

First there is a mistake with “fl_shimmers”, the Alint source code shows it as “floor_shimmers”. So to Alint “fl_shimmers” is always wrong while “floor_shimmers” is always right. Then te_cutaway_second_icon is spelled as “te_cutaway_second_item”. As far as I can see, the program does not recognize print_big_str_num. These errors can’t be fixed in the MS-Dos Prompt Edit command.

Then it won’t accept the Sanctification state in the sanctitem.txt.
“Checking file 'sanctitem.txt':
Error line 29: Bad beginstate line
Warning line 29: Result ignored”

As I learned the hard way, the variables in the various calls are not checked for magnitude. Thus for put_item_on_spot it accepted an item with the number 3,840.
(At some point I will have to check whether there is a problem with it not checking magnitudes of creatures and terrain types.)

Then it is unable to handle spaces between words in the title of a script. This is a problem for all scripts not just the ported ones. The Command Prompt can handle spaces in the names of directories. But it seems unable to handle spaces in the names of files, hence the flaw seems to be inherent in any command – line program.

May not detect the absence of the “i = i + 1;” in a while statement.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by Ishad Nha:

May not detect the absence of the “i = i + 1;” in a while statement.
It probably doesn't, because this would be harder to program than most of what Alint does. It requires recognizing a while-loop and checking if the variable is set anywhere within it. That's checking more than one line at a time, which I don't think Alint really does at the moment.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #35
It would really be pointless to make a checking program try to check that a loop variable is used in the loop. What if I write a loop like:
while(character x is alive){
hurt character x;
}
Then the loop can be entirely correct, run and finish without actaully using any counter variables at all.
It basically comes down to the fact that it's impossible to write a program that can verify that another arbitrary program will ever finish executing.

I'll definitely look into the fl_shimmers, SANCTIFICATION_STATE, etc. things though.

[ Wednesday, May 09, 2007 07:52: Message edited by: Niemand ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #36
It has been proven that no general algorithm can exist to check whether or not a loop is valid.

On the other hand, you can always surprise us, Niemand. ;)

--------------------
I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.
- Steven Wright
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #37
Spaces in filenames ought to be fine, if you put "the file name in quotes".

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #38
It would be useful to a list of calls in-app somewhere (in a separate window, maybe). I suppose I could just make a list in a text file and have it open at the same time as I'm editing anything else, but it'd be nice to have it available automatically.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #39
Alint's ability to handle spaces in a filename is no issue for AScript, as it feeds Alint the text on the standard input stream.

I'm working on ideas for an online call reference, but it won't make it into v1.0.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #40
I just meant a list (not with any real functionality, unlike what I proposed on the previous thread). I s'pose I'll just make one for myself.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #41
I dredge this topic up from the depths because I'm making good progress on the move toward the full version 1.0, and i wanted to ask for opinions on a bit of the user interface:

I've rearranged the dialog box coder window to make all 6 strings visible at the same time, as requested by Kelandon. There's a full size screenshot of the new layout here . Does this look better than the old, or does it look too large and unwieldy?

I'm also working on writing the documentation to go into the online script reference, but it's slow going.

Lastly, I think that I may have successfully finished adding something that rhymes with 'ellchecking'. :cool:

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #42
I like it!

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #43
What language are you using, Niemand (can't check myself 'cause StuffIt is of the Devil)?

--------------------
The McKenzie Brothers explain Nimtz and Stahlhofen's observations by way of analogy with a 20-car train departing Chicago for New York with 100 cases of 24 Molsons Beer ("two-fours" in Canuck-speak). The stopwatch starts when the centre of the train leaves the station, but the person holding the stopwatch drinks a case of 24 at each stop. So when the train arrives in New York, now comprising only two cases of beer, the person holding the stopwatch wakes up from his drunken stupor, doesn't remember a thing for the last 23 hours, can't find the stopwatch (he sold it to someone to stake him the last 2 cases) and now claims the trip was "instantaneous" although the train itself hasn't exceeded its reported speed.

And there you have it - The McKenzie Brothers' explanation [of group velocity]... Beer DOES affect relativity, in a relative sort of way. I guess.
(Slashdot)
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #44
Objective-C, although I don't see how Stuffit is keeping that knowledge from you.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #45
Sounds great! Can't wait to see it ready. The auto completion feature espacially is something I actually wanted for a looong time.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #46
BTW, Thralni, the beta version does include the auto-completion feature.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #47
It does? I have a very old version, so it might not have it, ro I just didn't knew it was in there. Have you uploaded anything recently?

EDIT: Hmpf. It seems that the post I was looking at is from May. Sorry, i didn't actually notice that the thread had a second page...

[ Saturday, August 18, 2007 08:10: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #48
quote:

I dredge this topic up from the depths because I'm making good progress on the move toward the full version 1.0, and i wanted to ask for opinions on a bit of the user interface:

I've rearranged the dialog box coder window to make all 6 strings visible at the same time, as requested by Kelandon. There's a full size screenshot of the new layout here . Does this look better than the old, or does it look too large and unwieldy?

I'm also working on writing the documentation to go into the online script reference, but it's slow going.

Lastly, I think that I may have successfully finished adding something that rhymes with 'ellchecking'. :cool:

That screenshot is wonderful... A bit large, but still good. You could allow the user to choose between that and the original version though, in case people have smaller screens.
Is this version available on your utilities page yet?

This isn't exactly important but...
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I've always been unclear on whether URLs are case sensitive, but I guess they must be, because there's a case problem in the link from your utilities page to the script editor.
I think the case-sensitivity of URLs depends on the server... if it's a unix/linux based server, it may be case-sensitive, but it it's Windows-based, it won't be - I think...
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #49
Sorry, version 1.0 is taking far longer than I intended; I'm working on writing the documentation for the program, an online reference for Avernumscript, and creating more helper functions for common code blocks. The documentation PDF is nearly done, and I'm thinking that most of the larger code helper functions will be pushed off to a later version, as I've realized that I need to gut the system by which they work anyway, and they are very time consuming to create. The online script reference is coming along, I now have 80 pages finished out of somewhat more than 500 needed. (Note that here a 'page' is a HTML page with information on one call or keyword, often faily short. Making them still takes time, though.) A preview / web-based versio of the reference is availible at my site; so far the Constants, Datatypes, Basic and IO, Basic Dialog Box, Advanced Dialog Box, and Animation and Sound categories are complete.

--------------------

Pages