astring for Windows

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: astring for Windows
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #0
So I finally get around to rewritting my astring Perl script into C. It still needs a little work, so consider this a public beta.

However, Freewebs refuses to let me upload the .zip. Says I can't upload .exe files until I've validated my e-mail, which I've done at least twice.

It'd be great if someone could host it for me while I figure out how to get Freewebs to work (or more likely, study for finals, do finals, then find another free web-hosting service). If someone could give me an e-mail address to send to, that'll be great.

EDIT: Nevermind on the need for hosting. See below.

--------------------
Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion!!!
- Vaarsuvius (OotS #20)

[ Wednesday, December 13, 2006 15:26: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
No, I had that same problem with Freewebs... if you validated it, it should've sent an email with a link that you need to follow. Then, if you're already logged in to your account at that time, you have to log back out then back in again.

Stupid? Yes. Ineffective? Yes. But oh well...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #2
I've noticed that Freewebs is kind of volatile sometimes, and therefore very unreliable.

I'd change to a different website, but… eh.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #3

Yep, it's working now. Nevermind about the need for hosting.

Yes, I know the code's ugly and sub-optimal. Once I'm over finals, I'll rewrite it so that file I/O is done character by character instead of line by line. Probably quicker, and then I'll be able to do things like convert between underscores and quotes. The only reason I did it line by line was because I had a similar project for school.

Heh. Odd, I finish astring for Windows on a day that Khoth's active on the boards.

EDIT: I don't know if it's AOL, SpidWeb, UBB, or Freewebs, but when I just click on the link I a second SpidWeb window. Right-clicking and saving the target seems to work.

EDIT: A 'bug', of sorts. Only use astring on files that were created on a Windows machine. It only works on files that mark newlines as carriage returns and line feeds. When I tried astring on VoDT yesterday, I got a bunch of errors, since the lines in any file created on a Mac end only with a carriage return.

There's absolutely nothing I can do about this until I rewrite the program to take in input character by character.

--------------------
Ta da!

[ Thursday, December 14, 2006 08:17: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #4
I feel awfully dense, but what does this thing do? Is it a dialogue writer?

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #5

Figures, I didn't mention once what the bloody program does in the above posts. Sorry.

Supposedly, someone (Khoth, I think) made a program for Macs that would extract all the strings out of your scripts and place them into a file. You could then run that file through a word processor to check for spelling mistakes, etc. Then, you can use the program to re-insert the strings back into the original scripts.

My program does that, but for Windows instead of Macs (although it could be ported with ease by changing one line of the source code).

--------------------
Wow, that is such a stupid idea, I feel dumber just hearing it.
- Roy (OotS #26)
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #6
Ah. Sounds like a good idea. Crimson Editor, which I'm using at the moment checks for spelling, but not grammar, so it should help some. Consider it downloaded.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Warrior
Member # 3340
Profile #7
Tried a couple of times (right-click, save as...) nope! This file just cannot be downloaded. :( I can however get onto your site: http://www.freewebs.com/dintiradan/ , see alot of text files but no astring.zip file listed.

Perhaps in a day or rwo, I'll check back and try again.

James

--------------------
Sometimes I just don't know anything about everything -- or do I ?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
That's funny. I just downloaded it and it worked fine for me.

Oh, and Dikiyoba just looked at Dintiradan's site. Dikiyoba is offended by its "uselessness." :P
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #9
Sorry, I view my Freewebs as more of a file server than a website.

I've updated the index page and placed a link to astring. Just click on the WWW icon above my post. It works for me, so I can't help you any further (I can download this link by either left-clicking or right-clicking->save as). If that doesn't work, I can't help you.

In all likelihood, I will not make my site pretty until I have something useful to host (i.e. a scenario).

--------------------
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offence.
- Edsger W. Dijkstra

[ Friday, December 15, 2006 10:16: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Warrior
Member # 3340
Profile #10
Many thanks, I just downloaded the files and I'll be looking it over.

(The page does look nice.... :D )

[that's 'nice' not 'noce'] fast fingers....

James

[ Friday, December 15, 2006 21:33: Message edited by: The Real Dragon King ]

--------------------
Sometimes I just don't know anything about everything -- or do I ?