Unhandled Exception in ER

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Unhandled Exception in ER
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #0
Windows testers and anyone else reading TM's beta call thread may know that Echoes Renegade has been delayed by some very strange bugs resulting in unhandled exceptions for Windows users. Imban and I have both experienced crashes in the same area, and the problem has been traced to a seemingly harmless place_monster call. However, we are at a loss as to why BOA is suddenly objecting to such a frequently used call.

Pleas to Jeff Vogel have fallen on deaf ears, swearing and cursing has left us only with dry throats, BOA remains unrelenting in its inexplicable crashes. Here is the code in question, hopefully some wise spiderwebber out there will have better luck with it. This is one while statement out of 6 that appears in the town's start_state, the other 5 are just duplicates with different locations for monsters to spawn, so I posted just one. Ask TM, myself or any other tester if you need the full version of the script for some reason.

if(get_flag(15,1) == 11){
if((((get_flag(19,1) == 0) && (get_ran(1,0,1) == 1)) || ((get_flag(19,1) == 1) && (get_ran(1,0,3) < 3))) && (get_flag(25,1) < 34)){
sld_typ = get_ran(1,0,8);
if(sld_typ < 4)
place_monster(24,8,6,0);
if((sld_typ >= 4) && (sld_typ <= 6))
place_monster(24,8,132,0);
if(sld_typ > 6)
place_monster(24,8,184,0);
pcs = 86;
telep_ok = 0;
while((pcs <= 119) && (telep_ok == 0)){
if(char_ok(pcs) == TRUE){
if(get_stat(pcs,27) == 0)
telep_ok = 1;
}

if(telep_ok == 0)
pcs = (pcs + 1);
}
if(telep_ok == 1){
alter_stat(pcs,27,1);
rctx = char_loc_x(pcs);
rcty = char_loc_y(pcs);
put_boom_on_space(rctx,rcty,2,0);
force_instant_terrain_redraw();
run_animation_sound(10);

inc_flag(25,1,1);
}
}
Good luck.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
I had similar problems with UE until I did something odd. Remove any stray files from the BoA directory or the data directory that could possibly be duplicates of those included with the scenario. I was getting an error every time I opened DwtD, but it disappeared when I cleaned up the directory. Actually, since I cleaned them up, I've had NO UE errors.

Edit - What I'm getting at is that Windows has trouble when it is presented with two identically named files from which to choose. Thus the UE. Eliminate its confusion.

Hope that helps...

[ Thursday, September 14, 2006 18:19: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
What did Jeff say? Did you get a response?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
TM told me yesterday that Jeff hadn't responded to his e-mails at all.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
That means that he should probably e-mail again.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #5
I can't see anything wrong with it, except for a missing bracket. I doubt that would cause an unhandled exception, though. :confused:

Do those creatures use any sort of unique script? It might not be this script, but something in the creature's script that is causing the UE.

EDIT: typo.

[ Friday, September 15, 2006 06:08: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #6
Another idea, during the testing of AGB, a few people got unhandled exceptions because of graphics files... If BoA is being pointed to a wrong custom graphic, or if there are duplicates, as Salmon said, then the whole edifice comes crumbling down.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Oh yeah, that reminds me. Setting the cr_small_or_large_template improperly causes crashes, but these crashes may not occur the first time the monster appears. The first thing I'd check here is graphics, and part of checking that is checking cr_small_or_large_template.

All known causes of UE are here, at the bottom.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #8
Ok the error is fixed. The problem was that the spawned creatures used a slightly altered version of groupnpc which added them to their group and sent an alert to their group in the Init_state. Once the group they were being added to reached maximum capacity (20), they started sending alerts to nobody, which crashes Windows users but just does nothing for Macs.

Thanks for the help. And remember kids, don't send alerts to nonexistant groups.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?