BoA BUGS v6.0

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: BoA BUGS v6.0
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #25
From what I can see, item ability 65: Affect Rune Reading skill, does nothing in actual practice. Ditto when it is rephrased as item ability 43: “Affects the statistic equal to this value, minus one”. (Rune Reading is statistic number 42.)

You can increase Arcane Lore via an item ability, but this increase does not affect Rune Reading, unlike increases to Arcane Lore coming from skill points. I think Rune Reading is redundant, there is no need for both it and Arcane Lore.

[ Thursday, September 06, 2007 23:50: Message edited by: Ishad Nha ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Ishad Nha:

I think Rune Reading is redundant, there is no need for both it and Arcane Lore.
It's not completely redundant, but the main practical effect of having two separate skills is that parties with a lot of priests don't need to buy much Arcane Lore, which may or may not be good for game balance.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #27
short teleport_party(short new_loc_x,short new_loc_y,short fade_type)
mode -
0 full teleport flash
1 no teleport flash
2 only fade flash // this does not work in practice.

The first two modes work, while the third does not, it only produces a flash.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #28
You mean it produces the flash but doesn't teleport? If that's what you mean there'd be an easy workaround - just call the function again with mode 1.

[ Sunday, October 14, 2007 04:42: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #29
Yeah, what do you think it's supposed to do? The description is vague enough that I'm honestly not sure...

If you really just need the flash, then just use put_boom_on_char(1000,2,0);

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #30
Time: Manual correction
I drew up this table of time versus day/night cycles in BoA by using the following two calls:
s = get_current_tick() % 5000;
print_big_str("The time is now ",s," minutes.");

3,750 = start of dusk
4,000 = it gets darker
4,250 = darker still
4,500 = (midnight)
4,750 = brighter
5,000 = brighter still
(A new calendar day starts now.)
250 = daylight

Teleportation
Yes, I wanted the party to be teleported not surrounded by pretty lights, that is why I chose “teleport party” not an SFX call. Fortunately the modes 0 and 1 both work.

While I am at it, we really need a bugs page that lists the bugs in some definite order. For instance, bugs affecting calls could be listed in the order in which the calls are described in the Wiki guide.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #31
TM's info on day/night cycle is here. http://forum.nethergate.net/index.php?showtopic=328

Pretty much the same data, but I don't think this was ever mentioned on spiderweb and it has some other useful stuff.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Ishad Nha:

While I am at it, we really need a bugs page that lists the bugs in some definite order. For instance, bugs affecting calls could be listed in the order in which the calls are described in the Wiki guide.
If you'd like to spearhead that, then go ahead. Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with the current setup... designers really should familiarize themselves with the entire list.

Though come to think of it, I could modify the original post to keep things updated, since Kel doesn't seem to pop in all that much. Yay being a mod!

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #33
I do still check this site from time to time. I'll probably be around a little more in a month or two, but this semester has really killed me with work and stuff.

But if anyone would like to organize the bugs list or create a new post that covers more, there's nothing stopping you. The only reason my post is the definitive one right now is that it's the only effort anyone has made to be comprehensive.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #34
There's a bug with item graphics. If you give an item an inventory graphic that is not in the first row of the sheet, it will be displayed correctly in the Get window, but once it is in the inventory the graphic at the top of the same column will be shown instead (ie, if it was slot 11 or 21, then the graphic in slot 1 will be displayed). Floor graphics in the second row work perfectly fine.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #35
(Sorry about double post!)

I found another odd bug. I altered the cave floors to add an icon adjust value, and for some reason the adjust value was carried over to the surface floors as well - even though I had not added it. I added to specifically cancel the adjust on the surface floors for it to work properly.

Edit: Thought I should be more specific. I modified them by importing them into 254 then reimporting that (implicitly) back into the original slot, rather than completely redefining them.

[ Saturday, October 27, 2007 11:08: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #36
I'm inclined to say that the problem is with your data script and is probably caused by not using the 'clear' function properly, or possibly because cave floors are imported for the grass floors (Are they? And as importantly, should this make a difference? Unless you redefine the grasses in your data script, they shouldn't be affected by your changing the floors that the corescendata imported when defining them.... I don't know what the hell I'm talking about so I doubt anybody else will.)

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #37
The surface floors DO import the cavern floors (floor 0), so if you alter that, then all floors that import that will be changed. Don't forget that your custom data script takes precident over corescendata. So changing the first floor without altering the grass floor will make BoA edit the cave floor, see that you aren't changing the grass floor, and go ahead and import floor 0 - the one you changed. Hope that makes sense.

If I were you, I'd reassign the altered floors a different, unused number, leaving the first cave floors well alone. That way is far easier than redefining all of the grass floors again.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - Come back to Camden, and I'll be good.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by Ballad:

Don't forget that your custom data script takes precident over corescendata.

Are you saying that the game loads the custom script before it loads corescendata? It shouldn't do that.
quote:
Originally written by Ballad:

If I were you, I'd reassign the altered floors a different, unused number, leaving the first cave floors well alone. That way is far easier than redefining all of the grass floors again.

Maybe, but I've already done it now. :)
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #39
No, what he's saying is that the game loads the custom script after corescendata, this means that definitions in the custom script override (take precedent over) those in corescendata.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #40
But if it loads corescendata and then the custom script, why would the grass be affected when I didn't do anything to it?

Unless... the game stores the fact that one was imported from another rather than actually importing the data?

A sample of my code:
begindefinefloor 254;
import = 0;
begindefinefloor 0;
fl_icon_adjust = 656;
Then I did the same for each cave floor as well as the cave water, and the hill terrains. To fix it, I also did the same to all the grass and dry ground but this time setting it to 0. I'm not sure if it was actually needed for the dry ground though - I just assumed.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #41
Despite the fact that sliths are consistantly described as resistant to fire, the slith, slith warrior, and slith chief have significant immunities to cold rather than fire as defined in corescendata. The 'cr_immunities 1' lines for those definitions should be 'cr_immunities 0'.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #42
In a similar vein, the high priest and the archmage had no resistance to acid/poison even though the mage and priest did, and the archmage had resistance to magic but nothing else, and the slith avatar had no resistance to poison.

The way I'm seeing it is that if the basic slith is resistant to fire and poison, every type of slith should be resistant to fire and poison. This is not the case, apparently. :/
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #43
Good job on the data fix over at the BF, but I just noticed that you import objects into the last slot, but don't actually import it back into the original. I think the proper way to do it would be
# begindefinecreature 255; // Slith
# import = 34;
# begindefinecreature 34;
# import = 255;
# cr_immunities 0 = 50;
# cr_immunities 1 = 0;
If you leave out the second import you're not really writing over creature 34... At least that's how I understand it. Does it work to do it your way?

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #44
The second import is not needed, it is a deliberate feature that if no clear or import statement is used, values from previous definitions are retained. Examining the section of corescendata which defines items you will see this technique used often for related sets of items, for instance, the longswords.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #45
Back to the Sliths, in Avernum 3 the Sliths in New Formello were suffering badly from the cold as I recall. They had resistance to fire but not cold.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #46
As noted here, the Dread Curse skill removes one level of every skill, including, in appearance anyway, itself.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin thanks you.
Now get on with it.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

I like speaking my mind, when the voices let me hear it.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #47
Hmmm... have we any other evidence of this? After all, it could be a scenario error... couldn't it?

[ Friday, February 29, 2008 20:38: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]

Pages