Yay, a Website!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Yay, a Website!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #0
Since most of the material on my website relates directly to scenario design, I thought I would announce it here:

I have a website now.

Now that you know this, you may wish to visit it.

As it is clearly labeled, it's still under construction to some degree, but so far it has both of my utility programs, some of my BoA scripts, and information on my progress on my scenario.

EDIT: Fixed the link to go to the main page.

[ Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:30: Message edited by: Niemand ]

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Eh, might as well plug mine then... finally messed around with Freewebs today. Nothing's there, but it's still cool.

(pokes sig)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #2
Er, hate to tell you Ephesos, but several of the graphics, such as http://www.freewebs.com/ephesos/Images/Sanctuary1-medium.png, don't seem to want to load. It's fine otherwise. I like the undead prohibition.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Links list updated. If anyone else wants his or her page listed, let me know.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Now that you have a site of your own, would you like me to remove your graphic adjustment program from my site?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

Er, hate to tell you Ephesos, but several of the graphics, such as http://www.freewebs.com/ephesos/Images/Sanctuary1-medium.png, don't seem to want to load. It's fine otherwise. I like the undead prohibition.
Drat... that means more messing with the stupid File Manager...

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Oh, yeah, same question as Thuryl's, except in reference to the dialogue editor that I host.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
quote:

That image loads fine when I visit his site.

It doesn't load when I click the link in your post, though, because there's a comma at the end of the link that shouldn't be there. :P

[ Wednesday, March 08, 2006 22:14: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #8
Kelandon and Thuryl: If you want to take those programs off of your respective sites it's fine with me. After all there's no point in storing the same thing over again. Thanks for hosting the programs until I had a website though.

Thuryl: I wasn't trying to post a link, I was just trying to make clear what image I was talking about. It still won't work for me when I remove the comma. It seems that for whatever reason the images won't load in Safari, though I find that they do in Firefox. I'm guessing that it's the fault of Freeweb's template, since I've never seen a problem like this with any other website.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #9
Hmmm... they look nice. Is Freewebs a good host for a website? Eventually, I'm going to need one of my own when I start beta-testing. I remember having an Angelfire one about five years back, but I didn't really like it.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will hire a talented fashion designer to create original uniforms for my Legions of Terror, as opposed to some cheap knock-offs that make them look like Nazi stormtroopers, Roman footsoldiers, or savage Mongol hordes. All were eventually defeated and I want my troops to have a more positive mind-set.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #10
Freewebs is ok, but they are a bit tricky. They will give you free hosting with ~40Mb of storage, but they limit you to 50 actual files put in that space, which is both a bit strange and annoying. If a small website is all you want it could work just fine for you, though.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #11
I have a host account at my school, which I'll be using for a few years yet.
Though I do have a paid account and domain with GoDaddy web hosting that I'm only using for e-mail at the moment.

Problem is, I havent finished designing the LL section of the site, so it's not really worth bothering you guys to see it.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin would like it announced that his birthday is next week. He expects expensive gifts from all of you. Large strings of pearls are acceptable.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
quote:

Thuryl: I wasn't trying to post a link, I was just trying to make clear what image I was talking about. It still won't work for me when I remove the comma. It seems that for whatever reason the images won't load in Safari, though I find that they do in Firefox. I'm guessing that it's the fault of Freeweb's template, since I've never seen a problem like this with any other website.
It works just fine for me in Safari.

[ Thursday, March 09, 2006 14:42: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
The image loads fine, but quite slow. I've got a T1 connection with usually between 200 KB - 500 KB per second, and anyone with a slower connection will wait even longer.

The picture is about 550 KB, which most sources agree is far too large for an online picture. Out of interest, I tried converting it to a jpeg with Photoshop, and got it down to about 56 KB, or one tenth. My eyes aren't very good, but I don't see a quality decrease at the normal zoom level; the "shrunk" picture is here.

:)

--

In other news, I have taken a PHP course this week and will probably re-vamp the PPP archive/Endeavor pages when I get time this weekend. The navigation could be a lot better.

Also, I've been thinking about a scenario database that could be updated by the designers themselves, which could make it far easier both for designers to notify the community about new versions and for players to find scenarios without hunting all over the place.

Nothing solid in the works though, only brainstorming. After all, the last such project was... underwhelming. :P

[ Thursday, March 09, 2006 15:03: Message edited by: When in the course of Nathan Ashby ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
The last attempt to create such a thing was Djur's, which never produced anything, as I recall.

"Underwhelming" just about covers it, yes.

[ Thursday, March 09, 2006 15:22: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
I didn't hear about Djur's project; I meant that rather ill-fated "Center".

[ Thursday, March 09, 2006 15:54: Message edited by: When in the course of Nathan Ashby ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by When in the course of Nathan Ashby:

The image loads fine, but quite slow. I've got a T1 connection with usually between 200 KB - 500 KB per second, and anyone with a slower connection will wait even longer.
Very good point, Aran. 'Tis fixed.

(And now I won't use up bandwidth as quickly, I hope...)

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #17
Anyone who wants to link Shadow Vale (The site will have more content and look better soon, I promise) or just the Chat Database, go right ahead. As I see it, it [i]is[/i] directly related to BoA because of the logged Blades Chats.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #18
I feel like Johnny-come-lately, but I'll point a few things out while they're still somewhat relevant:

@ Niemand: you might like to provide a *.zip of the source if you wouldn't mind seeing someone port your utilities. Alternatively you could just use *.zip format - it shouldn't be too hard for Mac Users to find a program for openning a *.zip.

That may sound a little selfish of me, but most programs I've seen that can open a *.zip are a <1Mb download. Most programs I've seen that can open a *.sit are a >10Mb download. I'd prefer not downloading the bloated monstrosity that is Stuffit or its competitors if at all possible.

@ Webmasters: when making a web page, please be conscientious of modem users by using the 'right' image format for each particular image.

An incomplete list of common image formats & some basic Info on them:
*.bmp - Windows's native format, it's inefficient but can have high levels of detail.*.pict - Macintosh's former native format, it's inefficient but can have high levels of detail.
 *.jpg - Lossy compression format, often causes image quality to drop significantly when used on images with large areas of the exact same colour. Use *.jpg's for pictures with many different colours.
 *.png - A format with support for transparency and excellent compression for images with large areas of the exact same colour.
 *.gif - A format with support for transparency and animation. Limited to 8 bit colour.

[ Saturday, March 11, 2006 05:07: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
I don't know where you got the impression that PCX is the native format for Macs. The native metafile format for Macs pre-OS X is PICT, and post-OS X is PDF. Neither is a particularly great choice for putting images on the web.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
bmp is Windows-only? I remember opening bmp files when working with a mac in school, but we might have been using a special utility or plugin for that.

You got the compression formats right though. Also, gif is apparently a proprietary, patented format that png (as an open-source format) is supposed to replace.

However, when I looked it up on Wikipedia just now, I read that the gif patent expires on August 11 this year.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
Preview (on Macs) opens BMPs just fine. It's just that it's some sort of default on Windows.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I don't know where you got the impression that PCX is the native format for Macs. The native metafile format for Macs pre-OS X is PICT, and post-OS X is PDF. Neither is a particularly great choice for putting images on the web.
Oops... that is what happens when I write something late at night and only give it a once over. I'll be correcting it to read *.pict by the time you read this.

What's this about *.pdf being the post-OS X metafile format? That is a format intended for cross-platform documents, not mere images. Doesn't OS X have any adopted/native image format?

quote:
Originally written by When in the course of Nathan Ashby:

Also, gif is apparently a proprietary, patented format that png (as an open-source format) is supposed to replace.

However, when I looked it up on Wikipedia just now, I read that the gif patent expires on August 11 this year.

About the *.gif format being patented: it is the compression algorithm that is the source of all legal troubles with that dinosaur. This site has an excellent overview of the whole debacle that is the *.gif format.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by CPeters:

What's this about *.pdf being the post-OS X metafile format? That is a format intended for cross-platform documents, not mere images. Doesn't OS X have any adopted/native image format?
It does, and it's PDF. I swear to God. If you take a screenshot in OS X, it saves it on your desktop as an image a couple of megabytes in size, in PDF format. Really.

[ Saturday, March 11, 2006 07:28: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #24
And then I have to copy the image into graphic converter and save as a png or jpeg because graphic converter can't open PDFs.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages