Yay, a Website!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Yay, a Website!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

And then I have to copy the image into graphic converter and save as a png or jpeg because graphic converter can't open PDFs.
What? Yes it can. What version do you have?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #26
CPeters: Ok, I didn't need a lecture, all you had to do was tell me that the file I was trying to get Windows users to download was a .sit file. I'll be happy to swap the code .sit files for .zip files. All the same, .sit is pretty much the standard for Mac files, so I'm not going to change the program downloads themselves.

Furthermore, I completely disagree with your analysis of Stuffit; I love that program because it can compress and decompress every format I've ever seen, and at least up through mine, every Mac came with a copy of Stuffit Expander. (Besides, Stuffit 8.0.2 is only 6.8 Mb :P )

I can appreciate your concern over image sizes, my only internet access is by dialup. For this reason, I go through my images obsessively compressing them, and using whatever format turns out to give the smallest size while retaining quality.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #27
So do I, by the way. Although I usually favor png instead of gif because of that patent thing I've heard, but not read a lot about.

Also, the website CPeters linked to appears to be a good few years older in terms of updates than the Wikipedia entry on gifs. Therefore, if the Wiki entry says the patent expires soon, I'd be inclined to believe them...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
Unfortunately, PNG isn't necessarily free of patented algorithms either. It's free of known patented algorithms, but it's amazing what you can find a patent on once there's a financial incentive to do so.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #29
I suppose if there is no way to be completely safe, the easiest route could be to ignore it for now?

--

Also, when I said "nothing solid in the works" five days ago, I didn't expect that to change so soon. What I have in the works is rudimentary and not even half done, but it is certainly solid (or will be once I'm finished). There's a preview picture in my sig...

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #30
4.2? Not optimistic, eh? :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #31
I was entering numbers at random :P

Originally, the sample scenario was Bahssikava, attributed to Terror's Martyr and being lambasted with a 1.1 rating from Kelandon. Then, I thought I'd try something a little more... nondescript. After all, it is supposed to be filler.

There are a lot of problems still to iron out on that page. For example, the small row of stars (indicating the rating) is quite vague, besides leaving an opaque white rectangle. The scenario icon is forced into 120x120 dimensions, even if that would enlarge, deform or pixellate it. But I'm in no hurry.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by Aran:

Also, the website CPeters linked to appears to be a good few years older in terms of updates than the Wikipedia entry on gifs. Therefore, if the Wiki entry says the patent expires soon, I'd be inclined to believe them...
I deliberatley linked to an older site because I wanted to show the controversy that lead to the people abandoning the *.gif format. I had erroneously assumed it was common knowledge that the patent was ending. From various sources I've read, the patent has already expired in some countries, and there are of course, countries that care nothing for patents.

quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

CPeters: Ok, I didn't need a lecture...
Well you're going to hate this then...

quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

...all you had to do was tell me that the file I was trying to get Windows users to download was a .sit file. I'll be happy to swap the code .sit files for .zip files.
There are enough reasons here and here as to why I hate StuffIt. My most legitimate concerns are that the *.sit format is both propriety and inefficient. Despite that, I looked up the Windows version and attempted to download the "free trial". Requiring me to provide my email address was enough for me to seek an alternative. Apparently they need a credit card too for Windows users. And the windows version is bloated, they did a poor job of porting the mess.

Perhaps the reason you are satiated with StuffIt is simply because Mac does not have the sheer number of applications developed for it that Windows does. When you've got a thousand and one programs to choose from, you tend to get picky.

[ Tuesday, March 14, 2006 03:59: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #33
Forgive me for not being intimate with patent law, but is there still a risk in using something the patent of which has expired? Can the patent be renewed?

Also, I am on a PC and have a program named StuffIt that did not cost me anything - I might have given them an email address when I downloaded, but it wasn't one I use. It's the only program that lets me make and unzip .rar files.

However, I am not sure if we are talking about the same software or the same version of it. I have never managed to decompress a .sit file with it - although I don't know whether this was because the .sit file was corrupted or the program was incompatible.

[ Tuesday, March 14, 2006 03:23: Message edited by: Aran ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #34
I never said the trial cost anything, only that "apparently it requires a credit card". If that is incorrect, then one of the posts on the two sites I linked to was incorrect. I objected to the company demanding my email address for a download, and having the gall to force junkmail down my throat. (Their disclaimer says they'll send you promotions. They can take that and StuffIt right up their...) so I didn't even get far enough to verify if they require a credit card.

WinRAR is a program that can compress/decompress RAR files. Kinda logical since the RAR format was designed by the guy who makes it. Linky: DOSRAR's & WinRAR's "Homepage".

Incidentally, if you're looking for killer compression, try UHarc or it's more mature command line version. Or if you don't mind a six day decompression, maybe the *.paq format is more to your tastes. :P

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #35
quote:

Forgive me for not being intimate with patent law, but is there still a risk in using something the patent of which has expired? Can the patent be renewed?
No.

Unless, of course, there's a different patent on another part of the same software...

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #36
So once the gif patent expires in August, that'll be it, right? No more legal restrictions?

Or will they still try to come after you if they can prove you have used gif files before that date? :P

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #37
quote:

Or will they still try to come after you if they can prove you have used gif files before that date? :P
Legally, they can do that. Unless you have particularly deep pockets, though, they're not going to bother.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #38
I think everyone knows that .sit files are not good for cross-platform things, but if you're sharing between Mac users, they're fine. StuffIt comes default on Macs, I believe.

Of course, it's easier now just to control-click (or right-click) on a folder and choose, "Create Archive," but there was a time when it wasn't.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I think everyone knows that .sit files are not good for cross-platform things, but if you're sharing between Mac users, they're fine. StuffIt comes default on Macs, I believe.
Not any more! OS X 10.4 does not come with StuffIt, and nor will any future versions of the OS. Apple now recommends using .dmg or .zip format for distributing files.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #40
.dmg too? I thought you needed Disk copy for that (or however its called in OS 10.4), which is a Mac application.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #41
Disk Utility? Sure, it's an application, but it comes bundled with the OS, so .dmg is considered a standard format.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #42
.dmg is an even worse way to share files with PCs, though, because PCs don't really have any common-knowledge way to read .dmg. Zip works fine.

—Alorael, who just noticed that you can anything on a Mac from a simple control-click. Neat!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #43
To be honest, if I got a .dmg file from anyone, I'd be baffled as to what it was, let alone what to do with it. Some kind of encrypted file? Does dmg stand for "damage"? "Database migration"? "Doubtlessly mysterious GIF"?
Do I try to open it in a Paint program, or is it an executable?

Of course, I'd use Google or Wikipedia, but still, I would be totally bewildered for a few seconds... :P

[ Thursday, March 16, 2006 01:43: Message edited by: We are the music-makers ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #44
It's short for "disk image", which at least makes a reasonable amount of sense once you know what it is. :P

(On OS X, a .dmg file can be mounted as if it were a disk. No dirty jokes, please.)

[ Thursday, March 16, 2006 04:55: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #45
Aran, that was exactly why I reacted so surprised, as I thought that .dmg is a standard Mac file, not a Windows one. heck, even OS 9 can't read it, it can only read .img files with disk copy. was this something new Apple invented with the coming of OS X?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #46
For those who can't put two and two together: previously, .sit was one recommended format for sharing among Macs and .zip for sharing cross-platform. Now .dmg is for sharing among Macs and .zip still for sharing cross-platform.

That is, .dmg isn't terribly compatible, but it's replacing .sit, which wasn't terribly compatible either.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #47
Yes, but at least every Mac having Stuffit could decode it, while not every Mac can decode .dmg.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #48
But in the near future, the opposite will be true.

--------------------

Pages