Alint: checking files

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Alint: checking files
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I want to use Alint for once and see how it works, but I can't get it to check something. This is caused by the simple explanation, that I have absolutely no idea how to use commandlines in DOS (or Mac OS X). Can somebody explain to me exactly how it should be done?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I can tell you how to do it on a Mac. Download the latest version (the one with a GUI), open it up, use the file menu to open the files you want to check, and look for error messages.

For Windows, you actually need to use the command line, though, and I have no idea how that works. So if you have access to both, I recommend using the Mac.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #2
What Kel said. I should probably add that if there are no errors, then (slightly unnervingly) it won't say anything at all.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
I manage to come to the main menu (that menu where you see all these letters with a description behind them), but the program quits after that. How do I get it to check something?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
I take it you're still trying to run the command-line version? That's not a main menu; that's an explanation of how to use the program. When you try to run the program, instead of just typing alint, you have to follow the name of the program with a set of parameters, including the name of the file you want to check. So, for example, typing alint dungeon.txt would check the file named dungeon.txt (assuming it was in the same directory as alint).

[ Wednesday, January 04, 2006 02:35: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #5
[sarcasm]
Ah, how quaint. We have children of the GUI era on the boards. Isn't that positively delightful?
[/sarcasm]

A "how to" on using the command line variant of Alint under Windows XP:

Note 1: The process is extremely similar no matter what variant of Windows you are using.

Note 2: You can run the *.exe from wherever you extracted it, just expect to type giant amounts of text. You should extract Alint to BoA's data folder - it will shorten the amount you have to type.

Note 3: Alint does not understand path names with spaces in them. To get around this limitation, take the directory's name (e.g. "My Documents") and type in the first six letters, a tilde and a 1. (e.g. "MyDocu~1"). In most cases this will work. On rare occasions (like when you have directories with similar names and have been deleting and/or reorganising them), replace the 1 with another number. You will have have to guess what number the directory has.

Extract alint to a folder of your choosing.
 Find out where your scenario is located.
 Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt 
 Type in the following, replacing %path_to_alint% with wherever you extracted Alint to. Then press enter.
CD\%path_to_alint%
- OR -
CD %path_to_alint%

Note
With "CD ", %path to alint% is the path to alint from whatever directory the command prompt is already in.
With "CD\", %path to alint% is the full path to alint.
 Type in the following, replacing %scenario_path% with wherever your scenario is located, and replacing %script_name% with whatever your script is named. You may opt to use "*" - the wildcard, which will match anything. Then press enter.
alint %scenario_path%\%script_name%.txt Example 1
cd\docume~1\clint\mydocu~1\mydown~1\alint(~1
alint E:\progra~1\spider~2\avernu~1\blades~1\data\A2Temp\guard.txt
 Example 2
cd mydocu~1\mydown~1\alint(~1
alint E:\progra~1\spider~2\avernu~1\blades~1\data\A2Temp\*.txt
 Example 3
cd mydocu~1\mydown~1\alint(~1
alint E:\progra~1\spider~2\avernu~1\blades~1\blades~1\asmall\*.*
 Edit: Made it a bit purtier. Not by much y'all understan'? Uh... What I meant to write was: If you see an ampersand followed by nbsp; anywhere - then your browser sucks.

[ Wednesday, January 04, 2006 07:05: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
aha, okay, thanks. I'll try it. jesus bok, these command lines are really complicated. I guess that when you work mwith them for quite some time, you et to understand them, just like Avernumscript.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #7
CPeters: Thanks for the detailed explanation of the sort that I can never be bothered giving. About spaces in filenames - I can't test it in Windows, so would you mind letting me know whether it works if you put the paths in quotes? It would be easier that way, and not involve guessing weird short paths.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:

aha, okay, thanks. I'll try it. jesus bok, these command lines are really complicated. I guess that when you work mwith them for quite some time, you et to understand them, just like Avernumscript.
They're not complicated really. They're just not visual. But not every one is good at working with slabs of text. I always thought that there were multiple types of intelligences; mathematical/logical, audio/visual, sort of like that. I remember reading about it somewhere too...

quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

About spaces in filenames - I can't test it in Windows, so would you mind letting me know whether it works if you put the paths in quotes?
I thought I was clear on that, but re-reading my post it's obvious I wasn't. Sorry. To answer your question: adding quotes does not help. Tested with cmd.exe - the command prompt from the start menu. Alint does not support spaces in paths. I also tested with ye olde command.com - neither command.com or Alint supports spaces in paths.

Fourty Ninth Edit: Corrected a misattribution. Argh. I should re-read everything I've posted, I've probably unintentionally insinuated that the moderators wear dresses or something.

[ Wednesday, January 04, 2006 23:46: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu