Random Questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Random Questions
Warrior
Member # 5086
Profile Homepage #0
Two questions, for now...

1. Is there a call to change a graphic for a character. For example, if I wanted to change PC #1 (Character 0) to a different graphic is this possible?
(Second Possibility) while defining a creature, is it possible to use if statements such as
if (get_flag(0,0) == FALSE)
{
cr_which_sheet = 1234;
}
if (get_flag(0,0) == TRUE
{
cr_which_sheet = 4321;
}
EDIT: Are the creature statistics only loaded once a scenario? or every new town? or battle? Anyone know how that works?
????

2. Is it possible to make a scenario check a seperate saved game at a given point (not a given point in the saved game, at a given point in the current scenario) to see if a SDF is true or false? (taking for granted that that saved game would be in that scenario currently)

[ Thursday, October 14, 2004 16:13: Message edited by: Rabid Pigs Eating A Wolf ]

--------------------
I love stupid people acting smart...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
To the best of my knowledge, 1 is not possible. I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about in 2, but it doesn't sound possible either.

EDIT: More detail on 1. As far as I know, you can only use cr_which_sheet in your custom objects script, which is loaded when the scenario starts.

[ Thursday, October 14, 2004 18:18: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5086
Profile Homepage #2
By #2 I mean:
if I have a scenario made, and then make another one that is supposed to take place after it, is it possible to check a SDF from the previous scenario?

EDIT: That is, if there is a saved game that is currently in the last scenario. Or, for that matter, is there any way to check ANYTHING from a previous scenario???

Oh and BTW, The entire reopening of an old discussion, I just saw the most recently posted thing, and replied to the wish list

[ Thursday, October 14, 2004 19:03: Message edited by: Rabid Pigs Eating A Wolf ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
No, you can't check an SDF from a previous scenario.

As far as the other thread goes, my main point was that the posts were all from two years ago and clearly no longer relevant.

EDIT: You may be able to pull some black magic where you check an item from a previous scenario, but I'm not sure if this would accomplish anything.

[ Thursday, October 14, 2004 19:27: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
The best you can do is give out passwords in the previous scenario that can be entered in the next scenario, or just flat-out ask the party in dialogue or something what they did and didn't do in the previous scenario.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
You can do the first one by creating two monsters with the same stats and different pictures and then replacing one with the other.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #6
Unless you wanted to keep the injury and status of the current monster, of course.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Warrior
Member # 5086
Profile Homepage #7
PC, not monster. So, for example, If I had a random scenario that changed a character to a demonic human (garzhad style) and wanted to force a change graphic, then is there a possible way to do that?

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Basically, no.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5086
Profile Homepage #9
The inability to do so is one of the lamest things I have found out about BOA to date...

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #10
I consider it a basically good thing that you cannot set the PCs on fire.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #11
Why would anyone want to change a PC's graphic? If you were a PC, would you want the DM to change your graphic at will?

In regards to #2. Yes, it WOULD be nice to check SDF's. But how do you differentiate scenarios successfully? Also, if you did this, how do you tell the difference between scenario #1 0,0 SDF and secnario #2 0,0 SDF?

BoA is desgined so that the player has SOME control, and scenarios DO NOT interfere with each other. It is a headache to create a system of compatible scenarios without massive cooperation for the various designers.

A thought:
Jeff could assign an ID to each scenario to tell them apart. But if a scenario is never submitted to Jeff, but released via a homepage...

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Warrior
Member # 5086
Profile Homepage #12
Oh well. I will find a way though damnit...

--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #13
There are reasons why we might want to (temporarily) change the graphic of a PC.

If you only need it for a cutscene, you could fake it by moving the PCs out of the way and replacing them with monsters that have the new graphics.

If you need it for more than that, I can't think of a way, but there might well be one. And even if you can't change a PC into a demon, you might well be able to add a demonic aura with suitable trickery.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE