Think you can make towns?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Think you can make towns?
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #0
Doing it myself... I need to know that I've subtly changed the plot. And anyhow, now that I've done so...

And I was planning in having these towns all along, just wasn't sure how to implement them.

:D :D :D

[ Thursday, July 29, 2004 07:09: Message edited by: Archmagi Micael ]

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #1
It might be a good idea to stop expanding the scenario and focus on polishing it so it works better. Every time a new thing is added it needs to be edited... This will extend it beyond a reasonable point. This especially true if it is not your design-- pieces won't fit in with story. People will always ask you to add more, even if something is practically finished. Length does not make a scenario better. Content does.

Polish, polish, and finish. You have two towns-- the one at the beginning, and the one at the end. This is good enough for me. Save the towns for the next scenario.

I was hoping to get the fourth edit soon... so I could make my final comments and you could get the scenario published in about a week. Please be considerate enough to finish the scenario. I think the other testers would appreciate it as well.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #2
Some curt advice:

You're asking people to do all of the unexciting things about scenario design. I do not know of any good designer who enjoys just making scut towns. If you really want extra towns, make them. If you aren't willing to do them yourself, just cut them out. Your scenario will probably be better without them anyway.

Also, if you are still planning on using Rentar-Ihrno, I highly recommend waiting until you are more experienced. Nothing is worse than the pathetic Blades of Exile scenarios that disrespect an important NPC such as her through shoddy, amateur design.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #3
Yeah, well, I've had enough of fighting the Vahnatai (did all that in the prequels) so I'm killing Rentar-Ihnro, and making peace with her son, Rholar-Tel.

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #4
..you are joking, right? Right?

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #5
What prequels?

It's not generally a good thing for continuity to kill off any character from the trilogy, really messes with continuity between scenarios already made. Why not come up with a different Vahnatai overlord to kill?

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by *i:

What prequels?

It's not generally a good thing for continuity to kill off any character from the trilogy, really messes with continuity between scenarios already made. Why not come up with a different Vahnatai overlord to kill?

She does die - Sort of... But anyone can bring her back for their scenario. Who knows what tricks she has up her sleeve anyway. She could just be pretending she's dead. :D

WHAT PREQUELS? = Avernum Three ofcourse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[ Thursday, July 29, 2004 13:19: Message edited by: Archmagi Micael ]

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
Edited for content.

Off the record, I agree.

[ Thursday, July 29, 2004 20:18: Message edited by: *i ]
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #8
How the hell can someone be this retarded? I mean, I'm being earnest here: did someone drop you as a child? Into lead paint?

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
Um, Micael, if you don't want your scenario to become even more a butt of jokes than it already is, you might want to change the names of your characters so they no longer have any relationship to Rentar-Ihrno. *i is right, and he has as much or more design cred as anyone else you'll see at these boards, so that should come as no surprise.

Moreover, I think *i owns the franchise ( :P ) on writing sequels to Trilogy games, Exile or Avernum, so you probably shouldn't make a scenario that you think of as a sequel to A3, and even if you do, you should take his advice as you're making it.

Personally, I think you should say to yourself, "Okay, I made a test scenario and I learned a lot from it, so now I'm going to throw that away and make a REAL scenario."

EDIT: It should be noted that I was meant that "franchise" comment metaphorically. I suppose that wasn't clear.

[ Thursday, July 29, 2004 21:04: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #10
I don't own anything about the sequels and Jeff's storyline. While it is true that I have been the most prolific writer in this department, my stories take a sharp departure from the main storyline. Nonetheless, anyone should be free to write post-E3/A3 stuff, but you should be respectful of the main storyline. This is just general policy to preserve the storyline leaving other designers the opportunity to use them.

If you don't want to be ridiculed, leave the major characters alone. If you do use them, use them sparingly and don't kill/ressurect or do anything too shattering with them. Why not have her escape in the end? Also, make it different than the all too cliched Vahnatai vs. Humans angle.

Sure, I use Rentar-Ihrno in one of my scenarios, but she is really there to justify a plot device more than anything else. It drives the events I have later. I invite you to play At the Gallows, it is a decent scenario for BoE.

--------------------