Horrors! My crime was seen!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Horrors! My crime was seen!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #0
Any way to override that (crimes being seen) while leaving items marked as property? At one point, the party in my scenario becomes invisible, and I'd rather they could steal with impunity while it lasts.

Even if the theft is "seen" and it pushes the town into hostility, no one in this town will react until the invisibility wears off; but it would just be nicer if there were some way to switch off crimes being detectable for the duration of the spell.

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Apprentice
Member # 4258
Profile #1
You could have the START_STATE of the town use the get_crime_level() call to check if a crime was commited, and then use the set_crime_level() call to set it back if so... Though you would still get the "Your crime was seen" message.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Some odd combination of change_crime_level, get_crime_level, and set_crime_tolerance might be able to accomplish this. Say, set the crime tolerance absurdly high and store in a variable or an SDF what the party's original crime level was. Then, once the invisibility was over, set the crime level back to the pre-invisibility level. (It looks like you would have to do this with a While controller, because there is no set_crime_level, only a change_crime_level, so you have it reduce the crime level by one while the crime level is above the original level.)

It would still say that your crime was seen, though. Not sure how to get around that.

EDIT: The reason I would set the crime tolerance high for the duration of the invisibility is that I'd worry about the town becoming hostile before the START_STATE was called on the next turn. I'm not sure when that happens during a turn, so it might not be a problem. But there is the issue of overhead, too.

[ Tuesday, April 27, 2004 18:26: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #3
Actually, I'm not overly concerned about the town turning hostile. In this particular case, the town is teetering on the brink of hating your guts to start with. :)

I just didni't really want to have to come up with some way to make it consistent, within the game, that you're invisible but still "seen" stealing something. The invisibility potion already has some limitations on it (so it's not overpowering). I guess the character who gives it to the party can just add "and oh, yeah... if you steal something while you're invisible, someone might notice it disappearing into thin air and figure out there's someone invisible nearby." :)

Otherwise, I'm afraid players might either think it's just sloppy implementation or that I'm "cheating" them out of their right to steal while invisible. :D

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
You could always change all of the items to "not property" while invisible.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #5
I considered that, Drakefyre. It would certainly be easy enough to just call set_items_not_property() when they become invisible. But I couldn't figure out any (good, at least) way to make anything they hadn't gotten to property again when the invisibility wears off.

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #6
Well, I would think that only items the invisible characters are originaly carrying would be invisible, so anything they would pick up would remain visible unless they stow it in some sort of invisible container.

Personaly I steal everything that isn't nailed down, though I always use the special ability bug so that I don't get any criminal status from it. :P

[ Wednesday, April 28, 2004 09:05: Message edited by: Kennedy ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #7
What's this? Special ability bug? Guess I missed that one...

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #8
The better seems to find a good and short explanation and write it in the log each time the potion is used (or the item if the effect is for the party). Like you become invisible but you quote you become temporary visible when you pick up an object.

Then crime will have a meaning.

Do you manage all talk??? Or many NPC don't care if you talk them when you are invisible? :P

[ Wednesday, April 28, 2004 14:47: Message edited by: Vent ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 1654
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by spyderbytes:

What's this? Special ability bug? Guess I missed that one...
If you steal something and then press the ability button without pressing done in the get items screen, no one will notice your crimes.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #10
Whenever you're invisible and try to talk to someone, you get a message (via print_str()) telling you that you can't initiate conversation while you're invisible. It was either that or some really complex flag work to have NPCs react to "hearing voices".

I tend to use up almost all of my dialog nodes without having two completely different trees for NPCs, based on whether the person addressing them is visible or invisible. :)

EDIT: About the special ability bug... kinda makes it pointless for a designer to go to the trouble to designate something property. :rolleyes: I rather hope that hole gets plugged...

[ Wednesday, April 28, 2004 15:34: Message edited by: spyderbytes ]

--------------------
-spyderbytes
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
Don't get your hopes up -- it was a known bug in Avernum 3, so presumably it's something that'd take a lot of work to fix.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by spyderbytes:

EDIT: About the special ability bug... kinda makes it pointless for a designer to go to the trouble to designate something property. :rolleyes: I rather hope that hole gets plugged...
Not pointless at all. If a player wants to cheat, he'll cheat, and there's very little you can do to stop him. It's not like this is ruining the game for people who want to play it the "right" way.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #13
Point well made, Nasarius. :)

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Apprentice
Member # 4362
Profile #14
Spyderbytes, how do you make the party invisible? Do you make their icons disappear or do you just say they are invisible?
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #15
Play my scenario when it comes out and find out. :P

Seriously, I don't want to give too much away, but I don't make any changes to the party avatars. The trick is in coming up with an in-game explanation of why invisibility works in the way that's possible to implement. :)

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
Come to think of it, JV did an "invisibility" (sort of) in Nethergate in the Roman plotline. (I say sort of because he made the townspeople just not notice you unless you did something weird and out of the ordinary. You were still completely visible, it was just a sort of Somebody Else's Problem field, kind of.) I thought it worked reasonably well.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00