Saved Game Files

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Saved Game Files
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #0
I've noticed that the saved game files for Blades of Avernum are enormous — 1.7 MB.

This is quite a change from previous Spiderweb games:

Nethergate — 321 k
Avernum — 324 k
Avernum 2 — 484 k
Avernum 3 — 940 k

(The Geneforge games, of course, have a totally different engine so I'm not bringing those saved files into this discussion.)

Obviously, the size of the saved file has to do with the size of the world in each individual game, and the total possible number of Stuff Done Flags, recording where things were dropped on which space in which town, who's dead and who's not, etc.

I'm wondering if the potentially massive size of a BoA scenario (50 by 50 outdoor squares, 200 towns, hundreds of SDFs, etc.) determines the size of the saved game files. So I'm guessing that the saved files generated by most scenarios consist mostly of 0s for the unused towns, SDFs, etc.?
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #1
I think you're right in guessing that the save file keeps track of data even if it is not used in a scenario (for example, if a scen doesn't do anything to SDF (300,30), the save file still keeps track of it.)

That seems to be the most logical reason for such a huge (relative to other Spiderweb saves) file.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #2
Yes, most of a savefile is not really used. They compress down to about 30k-100k.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #3
The ability to design custom items may also play a part in that. Suppose for each of the inventory slots you are carrying a custom item with a unique name. This would probably take a large chunk of file size.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #4
Yes, I've started compressing my saved game files to save on hard drive space — I still want to keep these files, but not waste the space. They do indeed compress very nicely.

That's an interesting thought about custom items, too. That's especially true when you have custom items from other scenarios, so the game would have to store that info in your saved game file.
Apprentice
Member # 4231
Profile #5
This is possibly one reason for unchangeable size outdoors, yes?

--------------------
Lifetime Spiderweb Gamer
and Fan of Classic Style Graphics