More than 2 NPC joining the party?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: More than 2 NPC joining the party?
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #0
EDIT:
I have few questions about NPC :
1 - How to do in order to have more than two npc that joins the party at the same time?

2 - Is it possible and a good idea to use a special item in order to manage all npc that join the party? I mean an item that will trigger a dialog with some settings or basic talks for all npc present in the party.

[ Sunday, April 18, 2004 10:08: Message edited by: Vent ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #1
1. Not possible. Two NPCs at once in party is the maximum. You could have other NPCs that just follow the party everywhere they go (by scripting them to do so), but no more than two of them can actually be "in" the party at once.

2. Sorry... I don't understand what you're asking. :)

-spyderbytes

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Warrior
Member # 1505
Profile #2
He's saying that he's thinking about adding an item that calls a script note that gives the player options relating to NPCs that have joined the party. Asking questions, asking the NPC to leave, etc.

I think it would be better to use a special scenario ability.

--------------------
-Newtfeet
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #3
1 - It is a strong disappointment to not be able to have more than two npc in a party.

I'm surprised this haven't been done before and that no authors wished that already.

Do it manually by script is interesting (more in fact) but I bet that this will be nightmare to manage in order to have the npc follow the party everywhere, in outdoor, in/out of town, from one area to another, through teleporters. Or there is a sample script to do all of that?

2 - When a npc is in a party it's not possible anymore to talk with him and I want allow that for scenario purpose. I also want to change some settings as to allow to ask to some npc to shut up a bit and speak only for important stuff, or few other settings stuff and if possible ask him few questions. My problem is to allow the player to do that.

So I thought it was possible to give an item to the party and when it is used it will trigger a dialog that depends of all the npc in the party. This dialog will allow to speak a little with each npc in the party in order to change few settings as mentionned above and if possible to ask him few stuff.

That's not possible?

I was asking before even to have fully understand what's possible with dialogs. I was just curious about possibility to port a scenario written for another game.
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Newtfeet:

He's saying that he's thinking about adding an item that calls a script note that gives the player options relating to NPCs that have joined the party. Asking questions, asking the NPC to leave, etc.

I think it would be better to use a special scenario ability.

Great, this cannot be droped by the player so that will be possible?
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Vent:

1 - It is a strong disappointment to not be able to have more than two npc in a party.

I'm surprised this haven't been done before and that no authors wished that already.

I dunno, having more than one or two NPCs in your party is not a very common feature in RPGs (unless you count Fallout). It wasn't available at all in BoE, IIRC.
Maybe if you gave a little more detail someone could suggest a better alternative?
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #6
I didn't want to change a lot the current system but at the end I can't say how difficult it is, only the author could.

For now you are limited to only 2 NPC that join the party.

The only interaction I know with npc in BoA is during special dialogs and to cast a friendly spell on them. In this case, you use a numeric key (5 or 6).

Allow to use the numeric keys from 7 to 9 could allow have more than two NPC. If keeping track of the number for each npc is too difficult for so many NPC perhaps limit them to 4 will be ok.

Or perhaps the remider which is written in console each time you cast a spell could also mention npc name for each number.

A last problem could be to keep compatibility for scenario that need to keep a maximum of 2 NPC at same time in the party. For that, have the maximum set to a defaut value of 2. And allow a call in a scenario that wants it to change this maximum up to 4 or 5 or any possible value.

[ Monday, April 19, 2004 12:55: Message edited by: Vent ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
You can always have NPCs that follow the party but aren't actually part of it, like we did in BoE.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00