Disfunctional Item Abilities

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Disfunctional Item Abilities
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #0
I've been testing everything as I place it by actually playing the incomplete scenario. I placed these two items, but their abilities aren't taking effect. Item 457 isn't cursed when I equip it, it doesn't affect my stats either. Same thing with item 458; no increased health points, and no luck penalty.

begindefineitem 457;
import = 113; //Cursed Boots
it_name = "Bloodstained Boots";
it_full_name = "Stifling Boots";
it_bonus = 5; //Absorbs 5 extra hit points of damage
it_encumbrance = 1;
it_icon_adjust = 145; //Tint red, darken, and swap red and blue
it_magic = 0;
it_cursed = 1;
it_ability_1 = 64; //Affects all statistics
it_ability_str_1 = -1; //Decreases every statistic by one
it_ability_2 = 10; //Affects defense
it_ability_str_2 = -2; //Decreases defense by two
it_value = 50;

//Don't ask about the name :/
begindefineitem 458;
import = 31; //Iron Studded Armor
it_name = "Red Studded Armor";
it_full_name = "Ephod of Libel";
it_bonus = 7;
it_icon_adjust = 144; //Tint red and darken
it_ability_1 = 4; //Affects Endurance
it_ability_str_1 = 3; //+3 to endurance
it_ability_2 = 19; //Affects luck
it_ability_str_2 = -2; //Decreased luck by two
it_magic = 1;
it_value = 850;
If it helps any, I'm using Mac OS 9.2.2 and running Blades of Avernum version 1.1 with the standard editor.

[ Saturday, March 08, 2008 18:24: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #1
It looks like you're seeing a couple of effects here: First, negative strengths may not work; they should really, but i don't remember whether Jeff actually allowed them or not. Also, secondary statistic can't be affected by items; these include health, macig capacity, etc. (This solves the tricky problem that results from the following scenario: Suppose Hp boosting items are allowed. I put on an item the give +10 Hp, then get knocked down the 5 Hp. Then, for whatever reason, I de-equip the item. Should I die? Should I not be allowed to take it off?) As to the item not being curesed, I don't know, as that one should be very simple, so I can't see what went wrong.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
Depending on how you've placed these, your cursed boots may be running into this bug (from the bug thread in the forum header):

quote:
* If cursed items are placed on ground/in a container in the editor, they lose their cursed ability.
Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #3
Negative strengths work fine. However, they'll only reduce the primary stats to 1 and all other stats to 0. So, as long as you weren't planning on someone having -16 Thrown missiles or -4 Nature Lore, you shouldn't have a problem.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #4
You could also just add a point to Dread Curse instead of subtracting a skill point.

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Kill Them Dead - Rate it now at CSR!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

You could also just add a point to Dread Curse instead of subtracting a skill point.
Do points of Dread Curse added by items actually work, though? Remember, Dread Curse does nothing in itself, but its secondary effect is to decrease every other stat by one. The trouble is that stat points that come from items don't have secondary effects. (Which is why Endurance-boosting items don't increase your HP, Intelligence-boosting items don't increase your spell energy or Potion Making skill, and so on.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #6
Could the problem with the curse be: "it_magic = 0;"? For "it_cursed = 1;" seems okay.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #7
I placed the boots on all varieties of places, even having it dropped by a hostile monster, but they still aren't cursed. I removed the "it_magic = 0" with no success.

The other item seems to work now. I haven't figured out why the boots aren't working, but thanks regardless.

[ Sunday, March 09, 2008 16:14: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #8
I imported the boots into another scenario and they were properly cursed. The moment I switched these with the boots the PC was previously wearing, the curse took effect. I used the Character Editor to give them directly to a PC, they were not found in a container.

I also tested the armor and it worked too.

[ Monday, March 10, 2008 01:22: Message edited by: Ishad Nha ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #9
I don't know if it will help, but it seems to me that "it_magic = 0" should be "it_magic = 1". Aren't cursed items normally also magical?
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #10
There's no reason that they have to be.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #11
Hmm...that's entirely odd. It must be the version of BoA I'm using, because I don't think any of the stuff in the datascript could be affecting it.

--------------------