Item Augmentation?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Item Augmentation?
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #0
quote:
From scenario ported from BoE (dialog script):
//OBSOLETE: Individual items can no longer be augmented.
// You can hardcode this using the it_augment_item field and.
// the augment_item_on_space function.

Has anyone ever tried this? Will BoA actually recognise this undocumented item attribute and undocumented command or is it just something that never made it into the game?
(This actually makes me think of the way augmenting works in G3+4.)
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
No, there was some augmentation in A3. Basically, an item would get put on a special platform, and you could pay someone to improve it.

This requires investigation.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaEl PresidenteWhere the Rivers MeetA Visit to the Madhouse
AvatarAphobiaIMAGINE THIS SCENARIO
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #2
Oh, right, I remember that now... I don't think I used it much though.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #3
I performed some very quick tests on the HLPM. They proved with some certainty that it_augment_item doesn't work; the engine didn't recognize the command.

augment_item_on_space turned up some slightly more interesting results. It, quite literally, did nothing discernible. No error, no visible change, nothing. However, with the speed I performed the tests at, I didn't get a chance to look the results through thoroughly.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaEl PresidenteWhere the Rivers MeetA Visit to the Madhouse
AvatarAphobiaIMAGINE THIS SCENARIO
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #4
I'm pretty sure it_augment_item would not be a command but an attribute to use in item definitions in the scenario data file. Did you try it this way?

[ Wednesday, October 10, 2007 18:41: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #5
Item records in BoA have a hidden "augment_item" property that seems to be ignored by the game (Editor, global.h ~line 521). "it_augment_item_type" is listed in the token parser code (Editor, tokntype.h ~line 1000), but is also ignored, I believe.

EDIT: My guess is that Jeff meant to support this, but didn't get around to finishing it.

[ Wednesday, October 10, 2007 19:00: Message edited by: Niemand ]

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #6
About the only thing you could do here is to swap an item for a better one of the same type. Here you would use calls like "void move_item_on_spot" to make the old item disappear and "void put_item_on_spot" to make the new one appear.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
Well, yes... but that does nothing for how to recognize what item has been put there.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #8
But there is a function to check for an item on a space and take it. Unfortunately it checks by class, but it's still there...

quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

Item records in BoA have a hidden "augment_item" property that seems to be ignored by the game (Editor, global.h ~line 521). "it_augment_item_type" is listed in the token parser code (Editor, tokntype.h ~line 1000), but is also ignored, I believe.
it.

Obviously the editor would ignore it since it does not affect how the editor displays an item. And I imagine (assuming this is actually implemented) that giving an item this property would not have any affect until you called the augment_item_on_space function.

The only way to determine whether this works is to test it, which I can't do since I haven't yet purchased the game.

[ Thursday, October 11, 2007 02:49: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #9
When I said ignored by the game, I meant ignored by the game application itself, not the editor. I've tested before.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #10
I think we found like 6 item 'properties' that are actually just ignored. Augment_number was one of them.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #11
Oh well... I was hoping he had just forgotten to document it. :(
quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:

I think we found like 6 item 'properties' that are actually just ignored. Augment_number was one of them.
What are the other 5? Are any of them documented?