trilogy newbie questions

AuthorTopic: trilogy newbie questions
Apprentice
Member # 17131
Profile #0
i used to play exile and noticed theres a newer series of it and i have some questions about it

in avernum 1 you can only be human?
seems strange to me but i cant change race

------

natural mage and what else are good for a caster?

if i get that speed one will the extra speed pointlet me 2x per round?

-----

does it make sense to make 1 pure mage and 1 pure priest?

or will you have lots of extra skill points later on so or it would make more sense to make them both mage/priest because theres a point where extra into mage/priest spells doesnt add much for spells?

-----

if i have a character 10% exp penalty and the other 90% what will the differences between them be by the end?

am i hurting the character with that big penalty or wil lthe extra exp for kills make up for it?
Posts: 0 | Registered: Monday, April 21 2008 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
In A1, nephils and sliths are still mostly enemies, so they're not available as PCs.

Fast on Feet does allow you to attack more than once in a round sometimes, but it does not allow you to cast more than once in a round. Attacking is 4 movement points, and casting is 5; you default with 4 and Fast on Feet gives you 1 extra.

I've usually done two multi-classed mage/priests, but that's just because the top mage and priest spells are really, really powerful and having two casters of each seems better than one. I originally just used one of each and it was fine.

You'll have no trouble gaining lots of levels no matter what your XP penalty is, as long as you do lots of sidequests and check out every area very thoroughly.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #2
I believe humans were the only playable race in Exile 1 as well, so that hasn't changed.

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
They Might Be Giants - Four official websites for one of the greatest bands in existence
Posts: 2957 | Registered: Thursday, October 4 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
You can go either way with spellcaster, although I prefer to have two that can cast some of both. This way you can double up on attack types to get the best in a situation.
Posts: 4643 | Registered: Friday, February 10 2006 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 17131
Profile #4
oh,

i don't like the characters to be clones of eachother so ill try 1 mage 1 priest

Does anyone know how the exp works?

If I had one level 15 guy and one level 9 guy would the level 9 get more exp per kill?

so if i have a character 10% exp penalty and the other 90% anyone know what kind of differences there will be between them be by the end?

I read with the engine used in avernum 4-5 not much but i don't know about the earlier engine
Posts: 0 | Registered: Monday, April 21 2008 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7802
Profile #5
I try to make them almost pure priest and mage to start with. I'll definitely make sure both can do all the low level stuff the other can, such as healing and slow or speed. When the magic characters are up to level 18 in their specialties I have them learn the entire other one. Its incredibly useful to be able to cast two arcane shields in one round or two divine warrior. By about the time the mage and priest are at 18 in their specialty I stop developing the melee fighters as much as meelee and have them learn most all of the priest spells since those can still be cast through armor. That way if I need to I can enter a fight with 4 high level attack spells such as divine fire which in many cases is enough to finish an entire battle. There are so many spells to cast to prepare a battle or to just clear a room quickly its nice having just about everybody in on the action. Fairly early on everybody should be strong enough to cast repel spirit...
Posts: 14 | Registered: Tuesday, December 19 2006 08:00
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #6
Nice "tactique" owl.

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Posts: 312 | Registered: Sunday, November 26 2006 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #7
quote:
in avernum 1 you can only be human?
seems strange to me but i cant change race
That's right, in A1, like E1, it's basically humans vs. everybody else.
quote:
natural mage and what else are good for a caster?
Natural Mage helps mages (obviously), and Divinely Touched helps priests. Good Education is useful when deciphering magical scripts to learn spells, but that's about it. I think Strong Will might help to resist dumbfounding, but I'm not entirely certain.
quote:
if i get that speed one will the extra speed pointlet me 2x per round?
Fast on Feet gives you a chance of getting 1 extra AP each round, and helps you move sooner in combat.
quote:
does it make sense to make 1 pure mage and 1 pure priest?

or will you have lots of extra skill points later on so or it would make more sense to make them both mage/priest because theres a point where extra into mage/priest spells doesnt add much for spells?
I've never made pure priests or pure mages; I just make them combination priests/mages, due to the large overlap of the two. Both the priest's and mage's most powerful spells require a minimum skill level of 18, so I suggest that as the cap for each of these skills.
quote:
if i have a character 10% exp penalty and the other 90% what will the differences between them be by the end?
Not much, if anything, since your level maxes out at 40. The only difference is that one character will gain levels faster. And the maximum xp penalty (or bonus, if you use disadvantages instead) is 70%, since you're only allowed 2 traits.
quote:
am i hurting the character with that big penalty or wil lthe extra exp for kills make up for it?
Are you hurting the character? No, it'll just gain levels at a slower rate. If I recall correctly, the Avernum series doesn't give extra xp to a character for kills.

[ Friday, May 02, 2008 08:22: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Posts: 558 | Registered: Friday, September 15 2006 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6923
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

quote:
natural mage and what else are good for a caster?
Natural Mage helps mages (obviously), and Divinely Touched helps priests. Good Education is useful when deciphering magical scripts to learn spells, but that's about it. I think Strong Will might help to resist dumbfounding, but I'm not entirely certain.

Here.
Divinely Touched does not help priests particularly, it gives Lay on Hands, Natural Curing and Call Spirit.
You must be thinking of Pure Spirit from Av 4 and 5.

--------------------
One, Two, Three, Pfhor, Five…
Avernum 2 AM Status - On hold, because I'm bored
- Maps - Tomb of Dahris-Bok
- Annotation - Fort Draco/Ganrick Spider/Areana Caves
Posts: 74 | Registered: Friday, March 17 2006 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #9
Possibly, though I must confess I've never used Pure Spirit.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Posts: 558 | Registered: Friday, September 15 2006 07:00