Teleporting Monsters?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Teleporting Monsters?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3174
Profile Homepage #0
While (re)playing Avernum 3, I've noticed that occationally, when I have a monster cornered and am ready to deliver the final blow...poof. It vanishes into thin air and re-appears elsewhere...the last one poofed out to a room I'd just come through...anyone else had this strange effect?

--------------------
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle, melloneamin.
---------------------
Finder of impossible beta testing errors.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
I'm pretty sure I remember something like this being discussed before, but I can't say I've had the problem. And the boards' search function is being particularly idiotic at the moment.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #2
I know I've never had that happen, except in fights where someone was supposed to disappear after getting a lot of damage.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
I've had a few problems with monsters teleporting in BoA's VoDT (mostly just jumping towards me 10 spaces or so during their turn in outdoor combat), but not anywhere else.

Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #4
They do it in DwtD as well, in the Vampire-guys castle, Diki, but I've never encountered it in the Avernum series.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #5
I've experienced it before, and as far as I can recall, the only time it ever happens to me is when I'm trying to corner something, as you've noted. I'm guessing there's a bug that occurs when creatures with low courage have nowhere to escape (see the BoA calls get_courage and set_courage). It shouldn't be to hard to test this hypothesis in BoA.

--------------------
Hey! Some of my best friends are 3rd level fighters!
- Roy (OotS #64)