Avernum 1: The Hardest Part *spoilers*

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum 1: The Hardest Part *spoilers*
Apprentice
Member # 7616
Profile #0
What was the hardest part of Avernum, in your opinion?

The hardest part was me was the fight against Grah-Hoth, no doubt about it. I always got hammered by him and his demons, having an obnoxious time trying to get up there. I finally was able to beat him without losing any of my four guys, but it took quite a while to get it right. Even the final battle against Hawthorne was easier for me.

--------------------
Currently Playing
Dragon Quest VI
Avernum 2
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #1
Oooh! An Avernum thread. What a nice change. :)

I didn't find those fights too bad, although admittedly the ability of mung demons to fire their dumbfounding ray through walls the other side of the town is rather irritating. Nonetheless the hardest part of A1 for me was acquiring all the parts of demonslayer, I lost count of how many times I went through that ****ing slith temple.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #2
I only have the demo, but the hardest part in my opinion, was trying to figure out what to do first. :)

Maybe I'm a bit new to do this, but Welcome to the Spiderweb Software Forums!

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Askman:

The hardest part was me was the fight against Grah-Hoth, no doubt about it.
Seconded. At least, that was the hardest major quest. My fighter just kept dying to fiery touches... he could deal enough damage to kill Grah-hoth fairly quickly, but so could Grah-hoth. It was one of the most challenging Avernum fights I can remember.

Eventually, it worked, though. Slow is your friend.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 4971
Profile Homepage #4
One of the hardest part of Avernum was the fight against 3 demons with all my characters dumbfounded(I play in hard difficult) :D
Posts: 65 | Registered: Wednesday, September 15 2004 07:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #5
After going through the entire game hoarding and selling every item the party came across, resisting the lure of the treasures in the Imperial Spire was the worst. I'm serious, actually. The first time I tried it, my party was swamped by the contant flow of reinforcements. The second time, I just made a beeline to Hawthorne, weeping all the way.

--------------------
End the wicked and unjust persecution of the Chuch of the Divine Lucre!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Grah-Hoth is hard, but getting to the hidden vahnatai camp and talking to Bon-Ihrno is even worse. That's really prohibitively difficult to even figure out let alone accomplish..

—Alorael, who reloaded once every 10 seconds, give or take 10 seconds.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
Killing Hawthorne is hard because I wasted so many spell points and energy potions buffing my party before the big fight while I looted and dealt with the guards. I almost died looting his room after the fight because I wanted to see what was there instead of just leaving.

Grah-Hoth and other dumbfounding demon encounters are hard if you aren't prepared. I got through that fight fairly easily and redid it so I could kill all the demons.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by --Squad:

Grah-Hoth is hard, but getting to the hidden vahnatai camp and talking to Bon-Ihrno is even worse. That's really prohibitively difficult to even figure out let alone accomplish.
Wait... in A1? Bon-Ihrno is in A1?

Where?

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Talk to X after you've gotten permission from Boutell to use his anvil and read the book hidden in the Final Gauntlet.

—Alorael, who remembers it being somewhere through the eastern wall. You'll need the Phoenix Egg to get there, though.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
I missed that entirely. I didn't see a Phoenix Egg until A2. Thanks, I'll have to try it some time.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Xian Skull, anyone?

—Alorael, who is guilty of shamelessly fabricating parts of A1. The only vahnatai you really meet is the shade in the crypt with the huge magic barrier, and it's not even a very interesting shade.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by --Squad:

—Alorael, who is guilty of shamelessly fabricating parts of A1. The only vahnatai you really meet is the shade in the crypt with the huge magic barrier, and it's not even a very interesting shade.
I knew it. Abuse of moderatorial authority... absolutely shameless. :P

Oh, and there's a corpse in a barrier-blocked tunnel over in Grah-Hoth's territory, I believe. It's supposed to be the same tunnel that takes you from Fort Haledon to the Ziggurat in A2, I believe. Except that the elevation changes are inconsistent...

I also seem to recall a mysterious corpse found outdoors.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #13
There are a few hints about the Vahnatai starting with the mysterious blue crystals and Motrax's comment.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #14
That's not the half of it. Just wait until you find the Geneforge easter egg in the Imperial Spire. You can only find it by casting X's Anvil scroll on Garzahd.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will explain to my guards that most people have their eyes in the front of their heads and thus while searching for someone it makes little sense to draw a weapon and slowly back down the hallway.
(T-7)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
I already killed the Xsanity, alas.

—Alorael, who thinks Mind Crystals are one of the better additions to A1. They're foreshadowing and they're neat treasure.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Askman:

The hardest part was me was the fight against Grah-Hoth, no doubt about it....Even the final battle against Hawthorne was easier for me.
For me, just the opposite is true. When going against Grah-Hoth, I bring a boatload of energy potions and potions of clarity, plus some speed items. I also make sure that by this time I also can cast "Repel Spirit" at level 3, so it affect demons.

Taking on Hawthorne was a lot tougher, mostly because of the path just to get to him.

quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

I only have the demo, but the hardest part in my opinion, was trying to figure out what to do first.
That's how it was with me when I first played E1; I had absolutely no idea what I was doing until I bought the Exile trilogy CD and hint book.

By the time I first played A1, I had beaten E1 once--and only once.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.