A1: Movement Speed

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A1: Movement Speed
Apprentice
Member # 7572
Profile #0
After winning Avernum 3 for the 2nd time, and having already won A vernum 2, I decided to finally take a stab at Avernum 1. Whenever I try to move, it's moves me 2 spaces unless I click really fast. I tried changing the game speed but that didn't help. Also, is there a way to enable right-click to look? Thanks :)

--------------------
I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me.[br]
- Albus Dumbledore
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Try using the numeric keypad or the arrow keys instead of the mouse. That's a little inconvenient on a laptop keyboard because you can't move diagonally with the arrows, but with numbers it's fine.

—Alorael, who doesn't think there's any one-click look trick. He's a poet and while he did know it, this one was entirely unintentional.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #2
Mouse: I've never had that problem, regardless of speed. Then again, I prefer using the keyboard.

Look: No, there is no right-click option. Yes, it sucks, but you get used to it pretty quickly.
I recommend using the keyboard shortcut for that, too.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin welcomes Keldarion to the boards and hopes that he/she will stay around for longer than the duration of this thread.'
Off the record, the Silent Assassin would be glad to have more people as tentacle fodder.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #3
In Avernum 1, on Windows, Left Click moves 2 spaces, Right Click moves 1 space. Seeing as how right click is already used for moving, you can't use it for looking as well.

The same goes for Nethergate.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 7572
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Lenar, Inc.:

Mouse: I've never had that problem, regardless of speed. Then again, I prefer using the keyboard.

Look: No, there is no right-click option. Yes, it sucks, but you get used to it pretty quickly.
I recommend using the keyboard shortcut for that, too.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin welcomes Keldarion to the boards and hopes that he/she will stay around for longer than the duration of this thread.'
Off the record, the Silent Assassin would be glad to have more people as tentacle fodder.

1. He.
2. Tentactle Fodder? You can have my sister if you want... :P
3. I'll be around at least till I win A1 xD

--------------------
- Albus Dumbledore
Apprentice
Member # 7572
Profile #5
Is there a way to turn on the health bar for enemies?

--------------------
- Albus Dumbledore
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #6
Nope. You just have to guess how much health your enemy has left. This is more realistic, but also rather annoying and, at times, a little nerve-wracking.

Avernum was the first game to use the 'Avernum' engine, so there are a lot of little imperfections and blemishes.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers Meet
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Archimandrite Micawber:

In Avernum 1, on Windows, Left Click moves 2 spaces, Right Click moves 1 space. Seeing as how right click is already used for moving, you can't use it for looking as well.

The same goes for Nethergate.

Seriously? See, a lot of people say this, and I have never used the right mouse button, EVER. Mainly because the left one only moves me forward one space.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Maybe it's a Mac/PC thing?

—Alorael, who thinks that despite minor differences it's more accurate to say that Avernum was the second game to use the Nethergate engine.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
Originally by Nikki:

quote:
Seriously? See, a lot of people say this, and I have never used the right mouse button, EVER. Mainly because the left one only moves me forward one space.
Me too. Left and right clicking both move my party forward once.

Perhaps the left/right click is different in different versions of the game?

Dikiyoba has Windows, and presumably the latest version of the game, since Dikiyoba only recently purchased it.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #10
Right-clicking always moves you only one space. Left-clicking occasionally moves you two spaces. That has been my experience anyway.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Apprentice
Member # 7572
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Nikki:

quote:
Me too. Left and right clicking both move my party forward once.

Perhaps the left/right click is different in different versions of the game?

Dikiyoba has Windows, and presumably the latest version of the game, since Dikiyoba only recently purchased it.

I bought the trilogy CD about a year ago, so I might have a slightly older version.

--------------------
- Albus Dumbledore
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #12
On all 3 of the Windows PCs where I have played Avernum 1, left click always moves 2 spaces while right click always moves 1 space. I have the Avernum 1.0.2 update, which I believe is the latest version.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4