Finished Avernums

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Finished Avernums
Apprentice
Member # 7343
Profile #0
When has completed 1st 3 Avernums (3 months I spent on those) and all quests done (except those which are eternal like Empire Records, Historical Scrolls, Unicorn Horns etc) is there something to do except wander around and kill monsters if happens to see those?

Slightly off-topic: When has killed Rentar-Ihnno in AV3 and ended plague of Alien Beasts (those would be nice add to monster call-spell) does Dragons tell you what they are gonna do to Empire as a revenge? I found my old AV3 save-file (not that old since only thing left to do is kill Rentar) and decided finish AV3 again in that case Dragons tell their plans.

Very off-topic: Does normal party has any chance beat those Dark Wyrms which guard jade halberd in AV3? My AV3-party (2 fighters and 2 mage/priests) all had near 350 health (spellcasters are near max level) don't have a chance (cause I have played AV3 through already I used char editor to make my party stronger (1st fighters 30 strength, dex, end, def, ass, hard etc and mages same except 30 int and no 30 dex but got killed so I changed statuses to 50 and survived) and use that party to finish game.

I said on other thread that those Drakes and those invinsible monsters were tough but those wyrms are nastiest cause can't even get near to hit against those. If you want good battle just cast cloud of blades to room which has Doomguard(s) and you get room filled with Doomguards.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
The dragons never say anything.

Try using slow and forcecage on the dark wyrms.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #2
Alternatively, one can use a whole lot of level three blessing and hasting, a couple of heroic brews, arcane shield if you can afford the mp, and then use the "wait" trick before rushing in.

But, yeah. Slowing is generally your best bet.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin boasts that he could take on the entire Pit of Wyrm with a shovel and a tackle box.
I'm not sure that he quite gets the whole "dark" part.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #3
that was odd. I got the FYI flooding message without doing anything, and then, with my only refreshing the page, the UBB posted a copy.

[ Friday, September 08, 2006 18:59: Message edited by: Lenar, Inc. ]

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Lenar, Inc.:

that was odd. I got the FYI flooding message without doing anything, and then, with my only refreshing the page, the UBB posted a copy.
Depending on your browser, refreshing the page that posting a message redirects you to can repost posted data.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
Did Earth2025 just say that you can run around in valorim also after you kill rentar? I didn't see that option.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
You can't.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
Oh yeah, heroic brews give invulnerability, so those are good too.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
I'm pretty sure you can run around Valorim after killing Rentar, actually. What stops you from killing her after an irritating and long battle, turning around, and walking right back out to Valorim?

—Alorael, who likes Thuryl's second to last post. It took him a while to decipher it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7343
Profile #9
Nothing is right answer but not much to do except sell clothes and that other thing and trying find monsters to kill (not many, if any).

I hated that battle cause Erika and Rentar called so many monsters that it was nearly impossible to move anywhere after a while.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
You are aware that you're not expected to actually kill Rentar, right? :P

[ Saturday, September 09, 2006 16:18: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4971
Profile Homepage #11
I beat those Dark Wyrms with my normal party using my own strategy that is:
My nephil archer with divine touched(heroic brew), hasted and blessed.
My slith fighter with invunerability(invunerability elixir) blocking Dark Wyrm's darkness breaths.
My priest and mage casting fire spells, summoning or aiding the 2 first.
Posts: 65 | Registered: Wednesday, September 15 2004 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7343
Profile #12
I didn't hit any hits against Rentar. I just used her system against her.

On my 2nd AV3 run I just went inside Rentar's tower but I won't finish game this time.

I might start AV4 quite soon.
Warrior
Member # 278
Profile #13
I'm wrapping up a re-play of the three Avernum games also. Anyone out there know which game uses the most keys as special items?
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #14
I do recall my first experience beating Rentar-Ihrno.

Enter, begin combat. No Erika. Rentar sumons creatures. Melee and firestorm way to podium. Get teleported back. Repeat several times.
Finaly get to podium, discover that I must've missed a mirror downstairs somewhere.
Reload.
Go back, check all mirrors.
Begin combat. Erika appears. Life is good. Erika summons demons. Rentar summons demons. Demons summon more demons. All demons, and Rentar, and Erika summon other creatures.
Move one step toward podium. Wait five minutes as demons summon more creatures and each creature takes a turn. Move another step toward the podium. Wait seven or eight minutes as all creatures take their turn, and more baddies are summoned. Wait because my path is now blocked. Go upstairs, go to the bathroom, get a drink, return to my computer, and still wait a minute as monsters finish their turn.
Get frustrated, turn sounds and effects off, and change speed to highest setting.
Wait. blur. wait. blur. Path is clear, so step. blur. save. wait. blur. one step away from the podium, return settings to normal.
accidentally step the wrong way...

--------------------
The Silent Assassin took an old bottle, filled it with gasoline, taped a sock to the opening, set said sock on fire, and tossed it at our neighbor's new Corvette.
He needs to stop listening to The Offspring.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #15
You know, there's a reason why D&D 3.0 stopped allowing summoned creatures from being able to summon allies...

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
If I am using the hero's girlfriend as a hostage and am holding her at the point of imminent death when confronting the hero, I will focus on her and not him. He won't try anything with his true love held hostage. On the other hand, the fact that she has been weak, slow-witted, naive and generally useless up to this point has no bearing on her actions at the moment of dramatic climax.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
The very end is actually easier without Erika. You can probably just endure the damage you'll take while charging to the pedestal, but her additional summons make it that much harder to get a clear path and you actually take more damage while waiting for a route to clear. It's even worse in E3, where all your strongest spells have large areas of effect that will hit someone friendly and turn all the summons against you.

—Alorael, who is a very, very very big fan of antimagic fields. All those spells are more trouble than they're worth when all you need to do is advance.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #17
I didn't have much trouble in Exile 3 getting around the summoned creatures, but then I hugged the walls alot until I needed to get to the controls. Going into the fight with Major Blessing, major hastes and blessings makes the party move fast enough that I could clear the distance in less than 3 turns before ending combat mode.

You have to be selective in targeting only summoned creatures that block your path and forget the rest.